Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
stevster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Hi fellow modelers. I need some help aquiring some models and supplies for a unbelievable senior center project, that I visited today.

Please read the attacthed NBC story and watch the short video that I have attached, and it will pretty much explain the man & place that I visited, and what a inspiration he is to his fellow hobbiest residents (and me)!

http://www.atriaseniorliving.com/Pre...D=17&PageID=57

Think about where you'll be in your 80's and this should touch your heart. I met Al, first hand today, and he gave me a new meaning to the word....."CAN'T" He can only see with peripheral vision, and uses an electronic, digital enlarger to build projects with.

Watching these guys build stuff, was like watching model builders in the past, acting like kids, adding years to, and enjoyment to their lives. I donated loads of balsa sheet & sticks, building supplies, and hardware. I had a few kits, but didn't really have the best selection (1/4 scale stuff isn't really gonna work out)! You know, all of that stuff you keep, but know that you'll never really need!

From what I observed, it would be great to donate any stick & tissue kits (Gillows type), small airplane kits (gas is fine...they just convert them to electric), small electrics, batteries, motors, controllers, boat kits under 30", sail boat kits would be great....they take them to the park and race them!, any HO Railroad items (their building a model RR in a corner of the "Man Cave", plastic model kits, any building supplies, etc. They also built r/c windsailers, that they "race" in the parking lot!!!

If you would like to donate anything, just email me at: [email protected]
You can ship to me, and I will hand deliver, and tell them who the donater is (or not)
If you would like to donate to the senior center direct, I'll steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for your time. My (your) time will be there someday also.

Steve Schooler
Cypress, Ca.
714-614-2890

This caption goes with the picture of Al.

Inventor Al Ladine, 83, examines one of his airplane models in the "man cave" at the Atria Woodbridge senior living community in Irvine. Ladine and his friends were building models in a small arts and crafts room at Atria Woodbridge but the women complained about the glue fumes and the sawdust so the management found a large room for him and residents to continue building radio-controlled boats, planes, land-yachts, even a solar-powered robot named Morty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63813.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1738384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72665.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1738385  
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
huck1199

Default RE: *NEED HELP* Finding Projects For Gifted Senior Builders

Steve

I have Comet rubber power kit of a 54" Taylorcraft that might be a candidate. The parts are printed on sheets - not die cut; may be a problem.
Let me know.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
stevster

Hi. Printed sheets are not a problem at all, as I saw them cutting from Cleveland plans yesterday, and Al has drawn some himself!
Thanks for your support. Email me directly if you want @ [email protected] for any more information.

Steve Schooler
714-614-2890
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Nice post, stevester. I'm a little puzzled at the description of "gifted seniors" as these seem like pretty normal guys. Still, good to see grown men doing what comes naturally!

Wishing you every success in your support of them. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Stevester,

I'd like to make a suggestion.

If you are confident in the build quality of these guys, why don't you canvas your local clubs and ask if anyone has any planes that need building. I'm sure many modellers will have kits on the shelves that they would like to get built, but just haven't got around to it.

As an added bonus for the seniors, they could be invited out to the field to watch their "builds" fly - I'm sure it would be very satisfying and rewarding for them.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 PM
huck1199

Steve

The kit is on it's way via USPS. Hope they like it.

Doesn't seem that you have much interest in your post to RCU.

Have a good day
Jim
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM
stevster

Hi, Jim

Thank you so much for your donation. The amount of pleasure that this will give someone
at the "Man Cave" will be much more than you or I can imagine. I don't know why the responce
on this great effort here on RCU isn't even close to what it is on RCG. I tried putting
it on a few more forums, to get to a larger audience, but the moderator removed them,
and left just this one. Go figure? Thank you very much again, and I'll let you know when
the kit arrives.

Steve
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
huck1199

Steve
I see that I was the only victim of your scam. You have ignored my emails asking for feedback on my gift to the seniors. Being a good hearted guy I was an easy mark for your scam. Notice to all who may read this - BEWARE it seems to be a scam.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Well that sucks,
I see he was logged on yesterday.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Waynes idea was the best thing I saw on this thread. Reason the mods pulled it in other places is you can only post the same thing like this once. You can't have the same post in all the forums at the same time.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
stevster

Thank you all to have pre-judged me on this matter......especially, with no facts, whatsoever.

First off, Jim, don't let the fact bother you, that I have been out of town, on a job, with no access to my computer, to see your one email (not emails) to me regarding your Comet kit you donated to the Atria Woodbridge, Senior Center in Irvine, Ca............................
And NOT, to a major developed scam, schemed up by me, to rip off, all the generous modelers, (like yourself) of their rubber powered stick models!
Without access to my computer, I had no way (or time) of checking my personal emails to the address you sent it to. If you would have posted a comment regarding this matter on RCU (instead of the slanderous one you posted today, with no facts I might add) I would have seen it on my phone, as I can use it to view RCU. So, Jim, since I have been out of town for a few weeks, I have not been able to vist the Center, to see any progress on any of the donated models (like yours) & supplies. I'm amazed that someone as myself, who has organized the donations from so many gracious modelers, (and who also donated countless hours & product myself on this project) can be labeled so quickly, as a scam artist, who is ripping modelers off! Unbelievable!

Sorry, Jim. When I have some time to myself again, I will do my best to check the progress of the Comet model you donated.

Steve
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve, I said Wayne had the best idea I had seen and told you why you can only post the same thing in one forum. The Mods aren't being mean or picking you out. Because I grew up in Orange County {Huntington Beach} I know about orange county just a little bit. The family's of these folks can well afford to buy them what they need. You don't put your grand dad in a home in Irvine on the cheap. Wayne has a wonderful idea and stated it clearly. As I have gotten older my hands and eyes have been doing some odd things and bigger is a bunch easier for me. I keep several small rubber band type of kits on hand in my shop for when I have a kid visit but the shipping cost and packing them to ship isn't worth the effort when these fellows have a shuttle bus that takes them shopping. They can go shopping to a hobby shop on there own and get what they need or want just like any of us.
I live in a senior community, not an old folks home. We have everything you can think of doing but they are all some type of club. My wood working club {Woodchips} has everything I need to build pretty much but I have to buy my own wood and any special supplies. I live on a fixed income too but if I require something I get it, I may have to wait a couple months but I finally save enough money for my projects. I don't require donations, they help a lot but I get by OK on my own.
Give Wayne's idea some thought, it sounds good to me. Ane I never thought you were a crook stocking your own hobby shop with rubber band stick kits!!
Gene
Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, I have a couple of rubber band powered model airplane kits to donate to the cause. If these kits can brighten a senior's day, they will also brighten mine. I have enough kits to keep me busy for retirement already. Have fun!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Why not get these dudes to build and repair kits and ARF's for other Rcers? many hate to assemble or build and only wont to fly. These guys would pay for the models and say $50 for the build.
Then the guys would have the fun of the build and make a few bucks on the side

PS I bet some suppliers like Tower ,Hobbyking etc would donate the odd tool or covering.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, here is the update. I sent a couple of rubber band powered kits off to the "man cave" last Friday. Today, a week later, I received a very nice hand written "Thank You" from the director of the senior living group. She said the residents thought Christmas came in May this year! I probably would never build these kits, so handing them off to some folks who appreciate them was the right thing to do.