Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Sportster 60 Kit - First Timer

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Super Sportster 60 Kit - First Timer

Old 03-25-2012, 04:56 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Super Sportster 60 Kit - First Timer

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

Tom...I was looking through the thread quick and saw your comments about taxiing . One reason I went with the sportster instead of the 4star was due to the gear location in the wing which would assist the bashing into a golden age racer. Was takeoff squirrely as well needing lots of rudder
I found that if you bend the gear, mounted in the stock location, forward, the taxi problems go away. The axle needs to be even with the leading edge. I prefer to mount the LG on the fuselage, eliminating the wire gear altogether.

I do not remember any take off problems. With the stock gear, I just had trouble taxi-ing the model. Once it was up, on two wheels, everything was fine.

I think you will enjoy the Sportster way more than you would have the 4 Star. It's like flying a thoroughbred, versus flying a pony.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 AM
charlie1960

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like the looks of this plane, only wish it was a BIPE....
Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All should fit sometimes with a little sanding, etc as how the fuse is built will detemine how easily the firewall sits in the tabls, etc (if there are alignment tabs used)

How the motor mount fits, assuming it's not hardwood rails has no relation to how the firewall is intalled. It simply mounts to the front of the flat firewall. You have me curious now.. I'm going to open mine up and look at the plans... brb
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 AM
KitBuilder

I atached some pics.
This is the standard mount included in most kits. You would need to cut the tabs out on both pieces so the mount can slide together. It's an adjustable type (sliding closer and farther apart) to accept different size motors.

The plans show a pretty straight forward (as far as kits go) firewall setup. What is the question you have on the firewall? From the plans there is no right or down thrust that is "built" in with engine centerline being in line top and bottom with the fuse centerlines.

I included a pic of the landing gear block to highlight my comment about the bottom of the block. I mentioned rounding it but it looks to more angled on the bottomn match the angle of the rib and sheeting that that will make it all flush.

Charlie.. there is bipe version if you can find it. Basically the stock model with another wing on top. You could build a bipe from the stock kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31668.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1742537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67676.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1742538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16691.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1742539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21157.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1742540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40217.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1742541  
Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
MrTooTall

Thank you so much KitBuilder! You are the best!!!!!

So i built the wing. Its probably wrong once again. Just another question below are a picture of boards. I am going to assume that I that they are for the leading edges? And any idea of what the trailing edge board looks like?

And the motor mount was also a nightmare. I drilled holes acording to the plans but then when i tried to screw the motor on to the firewall the holes were off the motor mount was not big enough.

Thanks again guys.

One last thing I want to get a trainer and a transmitter this week. Any good suggestions. As far as a transmitter I would like to get

Name:	Ca81993.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1743250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52430.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1743251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76899.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1743252  
Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: charlie1960

like the looks of this plane, only wish it was a BIPE....
Heres your wish....

DM

Name:	Mk27617.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1743350  
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM
KitBuilder

I've been called worse... today even .

I can check my plans.. there is sheeting on the trailing edge? If there's sheeting in the back.. sometime the thinner is in the back .. thicker up front so check the sizes. What you have there is probably top and bottom of leading edge sheeting. Painters tape works well to hold the sheeting in place. Do bottom or top.. let dry .. then the other.

For the motor mount and drilling holes.... in the future do not drill to what is on the plan for there is basically a 100% chance the holes wont match the motor your using.

I fit the mount to my motor (just place it in snug between the rails)... a drop or two of CA holds the back sliding pieces together... remove the motor carefully so you don't break the tack......place the mount on the firewall in the correct location per the plans and mark the holes. Remove mount and drill. If what you have done is not right.. it's no biggie... you can pick up some dowel at home depot or wherever of the correct diameter.. cut a plug the width of your firewall. .a little glue and push in place... let it dry. .sand smooth and go again.

On the plans the nose looks might tight it you cowl it in.. looks like they cut the xtra length of mount off to assist with coweling in the motor.

The wing looks good.. is there glue yet on the joints.. looks like they're just placed for fit so far? I usually run a small fillet on both sides of all joints. either with the glue that was there for the original placement or I may add a smidge more if needed to get the fillet. I find my pinkie for items not pinned to the board or a wooden coffee stirrer like the ones at Starbucks works real well leaving a small thin bead. You can sand the radius you need on it.

I;m sure there are a million opinions on radio choice but I moved to 2.4 last year and got the spektrum 6xi. In my opinion it was very reasonably priced.. there's a million of them out there..all the popular features and I have had no issues with it. I have 5 models programmed at the moment. Flies my parkflyers to larger glow planes using the appropriate receivers. Does not come with servos or airborne battery pack but I had extras of both on hand. I also have a couple hitec 72's that work great also... But it's nice to have all the bells and whistles of the newer radios.

If I recall the bipe version didn't use N struts??
Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
MrTooTall

The directions done specify the trailing edge sheeting size. All I can see is that it is smaller than the leading edge sheeting. Any idea? And thank you again!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM
KitBuilder

Smaller most likely meaning narrower. Leading edge sheeting is generally from leading edge to spar. TE sheeting is generally from the TE Stock to an inch or so foward... nornally up to the notch in the back of the rib. If cap strips are used on top of the ribs.. the TE sheeting will ususually just lay on top of the rib with no recess.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 AM
amrmia
My Feedback: (8)

Hello everyone,
First thing i want to say KitBuilder is 'GO Gators'. i just found this great thread and I have a question about my SS60. 1. What do you think of adding retracks to it? i have built 2 SS40's and 1 SSbipe. very fun planes to fly. my bipe was nice, went to trim it out and lost radio contact. Needless to say it went though a few trees and literally exploded as it when down, but boy it looked good taking off and in its short flight. I came back from the wreckage with a walmart bag of a few parts. never found the bat pack. I liked it so much that i built a top wing for my current SS40 and plan on making it a bipe. used the same plans as the bipe but scaled it up to match. KitBuilder, you are correct, the bipe did not have N struts. it used wide placed cabanes to hold the top wing.
thanks for letting me share this. and keep up the good tips.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
KitBuilder

Retracts would be nice. They really clean up a design and I'm sure the wing is thick enough. To me, bipes look odd without the strtuts farther out. I'm wanting to start on mine but i have a build in progress and one in the hospital waiting for me.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:17 PM
amrmia
My Feedback: (8)

I have made N struts and had to modify the ribs. i am copying the skybolt strut design for easy removal. but like you i have a couple of builds in progress. TF GS p-47 and the TF 60 P-47 at the same time. i will try to post pics.
thanks.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
ken78cvx20
My Feedback: (3)

I have been following along as well thank you for starting it MrTooTall. I have a SS60 for the building boardand a set of HK electric retracts I plan on installing. After I get finished with my 4 Star build my first build. Looking forward to seeing more of your build.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
KitBuilder

What do 60 size electric retracts go for $$. I assume you can control speed of open, close, etc? Do they run off they receiver battery or dedicated one?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM
ken78cvx20

Hi Kitbuilder,

I paid about $20.00 shipped from Hobbyking for the pair.Then Ifound that Hobbypartz sold the same retracts part pz15091 for about the same price. I hope they work out worth trying anyhow.

Ken

Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
MrTooTall

Alright guys just an update. I bought a used Futaba 6EXP from ebay it should be here in a week. The total was $62 with free shipping. It comes with the transmitter, and the 6 channel receiver. Im gonna look for servos and a motor next week. Im open to suggestions. Im looking for a 2 stroke .50ish for my plane. Preferable used. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

been watching the thread for a while but just got a lap top so I can do some posting again. First post with it! I was using the SS 60 as a teaching aid/building aid years ago. Then someone put me onto the 4*, I'm going back to the SS in the future again! I just like the plane a lot better then the 4*. Back in the day I was using the OS .60 or .61 for power. If I was to buy a new engine for it today I would be looking at the .75 in two stroke and the Saito 100 or 1.15 or OS .91 in four stroke power. That's just me and I'm sure others will have there own ideas. Standard servos work OK in this plane too but you can never go wrong buying better servos. Everything depends on money or the lack of. I have a couple of YS 1.10s that I would be using in this plane, over kill but I have themn hand.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found the OS 91 Surpass to be pefect power for the SS60 and my flying style. Mine has standard servos.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 AM
KitBuilder

Too Tall.. The FM radios wrok just fine. I woiuld suggest standard servos with ball bearing for a couple dollars more. Used motors can be a gamble in my opinion. If you can find one in your area and have the seller demo that's how I wouild do it. (before he (or she) dem's it.. feel the motor to see if its already warm )

Ken... I'm learing about electric retracts as I go... Didnt realize they were so cheap. Even the twisty ones for the larger Corsairs. Thats' one reason I haven't serioiusly thought about building one but electrics have made it possible again down the road. Some sets say includes control module others don't seem to mention it. Figuring this out now. It also seems the same size retracts can run anywhere from 10 to 200 beans. Lado Tech seem to be the be all end all but they are pricey. To many kits, not enough time.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed you said used when you mentioned the engine. I agree with kit, used may not be the best way to go. If you don't know what you are looking for in a used engine they can cost you more then they are worth. I don't use two strokes very often but when I need one I started using the SK .91 sold through Kangke/ Super Kraft and have had good luck with them. At $100.00 they even come with a muffler. Break in and prop selection is a bit different and the instructions are from another engine and incorrect. I do have the correct instructions on hand if you decide to go with one. There are several good lower cost engines out there.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
KitBuilder

I've had good luck with evolution and super tiger for 2 strokes and magnum for inexpensive 4 strokes but all have been new either bouight cheap from someone I knew because they just wanted to get rid of them or were knew in the box. The engine is the heartbeat I feel of your model and is the basis of a good day or bad day at the field being finicky or easy running, etc. . Break in is important but this is an area I like to know what I'm getting from the outset unless as I mentioned you can get something used or even new from someone you "know" at reduced cost. Other than that, I go new.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM
MrTooTall

I dont know anybody in RC where I live(RI). I do not want to buy a really nice engine and my plane falls apart as it gets into the air. I would like to spend only 100 dollars for a motor. If that is possible. Best suggestions? Thanks again guys!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:19 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

MrTooTall
I admire you for forging ahead in a complicated hobby without any local support!! I was out of the hobby (regrouping mentally) for close to a year after crashing on my sixth flight and I had local help!! Please find a club or someone experienced to help you check over the plane, tune the engine, set the radio etc.

For a used engine I would look to an O.S. Max brand in two stroke or Saito in 4 stroke in the RC Market place or over at the other forum: r c groups and concentrate on the seller's reputation first and the engine choice second when purchasing.
Garyss
Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
KitBuilder

You should be able to get a nice used motor in the 60 size for under 100 like GarySS says on the boards. The engines usually survive crashed unless they hapeen to go straight in. (dont ask how I know ).

Also if you worry about crashing.. don't fly. It will happen but you will know your plane like the back of your hand when your done and will be able to fiix it. I had a real nice GP 40 size cub I built. Clipped the wings.. Magnun 70 4 stroke, solartex and added some scale details, It went in after 6 flights.. complete pilot error . Man I loved this plane. It's next to be rebuilt after the current build. Here she is in her non-crashed state. So don't worry about crashing.. just pick up the pieces and put her back together.
You can go to the AMA site and use thier search for clubs in your area.. also the LHS is a good place for info as well. in fact, many have realflight or
similar sims setup and you can go there to practice. Just buy some stuff like fuel, covering, parts, wood etc. now and then. If you tell him or her your new... they'll probably even give you a flight lesson if its not busy May even have the Sportster 60 in thier pack.

Name:	Xu62670.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1746475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16545.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1746476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63648.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1746477  
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
ken78cvx20

Would a super tigre .75 be to much engine. If not their is a pair of new ones for sale listed on this site$70.00 each or make offer.

Ken

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.