Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

koverall Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

koverall Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM
tec319

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koverall Question

Hi All,
My plan is to cover (2) 40 size airplanes in koverall and paint. Base Clear coat.
I have used koverall on larger planes in my hanger but none in the 40 size range.I have a GP Extra 300s 40 kit powerd with a magnum FS-52 that i built years ago and love the plane but the goldberg Ultracoat covering at this point really needs to be redone. I would love to redo it with Koverall using the WB-Poly on it and paint it to get ride of all the seams which i HATE.
The other plane is the GP Cap 232 40 size that i plan on putting a Saito 56 in and would like to do the same.
I am a painter by trade so the pastic shrink just bugs me. i'm picky if you know what i mean.

So what i'm asking is have any of you covered 40-50 size sport planes with Koverall , pained , cleared and how did they fly after and will it be to heavy? i'm not looking for 3d.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: koverall Question

My next plane is going to be a Sig Somethin Extra (my third one) covered in Koverall. I'm looking forward to hearing the replies to this one.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll look great and fly just as good. Just plan your covering so the seams are on the bottom. It can be done and is done all the time. You'll be happier in the long run.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Koverall on my open framed fabric covered type aircraft. I don't believe it add's any significant weight over iron on fabric's such as solartex. It is slightly more than iron on plastic. So if your cautious in application of paint's, you will be fine.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I covered a GP T-Craft and a Tigerkitten, both 30 size planes in Koverall.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now try some great paint... www.stits.com
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM
tec319

Thanks for the confirmation guys. i just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be overkill on weight for these 2 planes. I couldn't find in any searches covering these types of planes with this method just plastic shrink. Now back to sanding.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Your paint may come off on your cleaning rag if you use nitro power. I would suggest going electric power.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a PT-40 that is covered with Koverall and painted with Brodak dopes. If there is a weight penalty, it is very slight. Being a trainer, it has had its share of training accidents but it has held together where I am certain that the plastic coverings would have failed.

I have a GP Extra 300S that is covered with Stits poly-fiberand painted with the recommended Stits paints (poly-brush, poly-spray, and poly-lite colors). I really do have to say that it is a very nice, well coordinated system. Again, if there is a weightpenalty, it isalmost negligible. The finish has come out great.

Both are nitro powered. Neither have had any of the finish rub off on the cleaning rag.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
TripleDeucer

My Super Cub was finished with Randolph dope over Koverall. The oil residue from the fuel attacks the paint and has ruined the finish on the bottom. The fuel is Powermaster 20/20
Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Bowmaster

Let your paint cure out for a week before flying and then don't let the fuel and oil set on the plane overnight, clean it off when you're finished flying. I've been using koverall and water base paints for vears and all my planes still look great. I do use 10 percent nitro. Higher nitro could soften the finish.

Dave
Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
TripleDeucer

The finish had cured for a couple months. I always wipe my planes down with cleaner after every flight.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:14 PM
tec319

Well I'll be putting a urethane 2k clear over it and nitro fuel doesn't bother it. i Have things painted with it over 15 years old and nitro fuel doesn't touch it. matter of fact i have a Dumas .40 DeepVee i painted close to 20 years ago and looks as good today as it did the day i painted it.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nelson Hobby Specialties paint looks great when applied with a simple foam brush, and is very much fuel-proof.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:22 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

Your paint may come off on your cleaning rag if you use nitro power. I would suggest going electric power.

That's funny. I have glow powered models that are painted. One is 20 years old. It still looks new.

It seems that powering models by eletricity is like a religion to some. They are always trying to push their way on others.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM
TripleDeucer

ORIGINAL: TomCrump

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

That's funny. I have glow powered models that are painted. One is 20 years old. It still looks new.

It seems that powering models by eletricity is like a religion to some. They are always trying to push their way on others.

I thought it was kind of odd myself. I have picked allot of brains and get the same answers like you just gave. I called the randolph rep at the factory and was blown off with "our mixing is all computer controled, so you can't be having a problem with our paint". I would just like to find out why its like it is.
I am in no way promoting electric power and do not care for it myself. Just one option to bypass the same headaches I have had with my dope finish.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:05 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess would be that there was a surface preperation problem.

I haven't used dope for years, () so I can't really comment further.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:24 PM
tec319

Has anyone used the Stewart Systems Ekobond dry glue for fabrics? it's for full size aircraft but the stuff looks like a snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuJLo...feature=relmfu