Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP .60 Extra 300S Belly Pan Issue

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP .60 Extra 300S Belly Pan Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:14 AM
abbott915
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP .60 Extra 300S Belly Pan Issue

I'm starting on the belly pan and when I line up parts 18 and 22, there is a gap between the side panel and the bottom of the wing.

Part 22, (aft belly pan former) is flat across the bottom, and this apparently rests up agains the bottom of the wing, but the bottom of the wing isn't flat, so out at the ends of 22, it's up away from the wing. Therefore, when you put part 18 (belly pan side) onto 22, there is a gap under 18 and the wing. If I say to heck with it and slide 18 down to rest on the wing, at the front end, part 18 is to long.

I've attached a couple pics of the issue.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15148.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	1747724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57029.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	1747725  
Old 04-07-2012, 04:14 PM
mesaflyer

Default RE: GP .60 Extra 300S Belly Pan Issue

If I remember correctly when I built mine, there was a fair amount of "custom" sanding and trimming to make all the belly pan parts fit. Mine is covered in that area now or I would take a pic for you. The main thing you want to do is make sure it is flush with the fuse after it's all built so that there are no ridges. I would guess that you have seen this in the instructions. I know some guys have sheeted their belly pans, but I didn't. Just covered it and it's pretty strong, even after dead stick ripped off the landing gear.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

915 - I was amazed at how much "tweaking" of the belly pan and stringers that are added to the bottom of the fuse later. Go ahead and finish the necessary steps to mount the wing to the fuse but postpone the "finishing details" of the belly pan bits.

Why? The fuse has exposed stringers and other stuff on the bottom to provide that "scale" look (at a distance). They don't line up straight with the bottom of the wing's belly pan. I was glad that I had a 22" sanding bar with 80 grit to "adjust" things.

Just be comfortable in knowing that the belly pan and fuse stringers are only cosmetic.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:21 AM
LargeScale88

I agree with everyone else.

You won't even notice it when you get the covering on, but if it bothers you that bad then when i have a gap like that I put balsa on one side, then slap some filler in there, and sand it nicely, to get a nice little fillet.

Just a thought, otherwise, I would leave it, its on the bottom where noone will see.

Jason
Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: From Instruction Manual
❏ 11. Fit the belly pan sides (part #18) and middle belly
pan former (part #20) in place, holding the front of the
belly pan sides at equal distances from the fuse sides.
When satisfied with the fit, glue the sides to both formers.
That usually means get out the sand paper from my experience. Epoxy and micro balloons may also come in handy to fill the gap.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 PM
abbott915
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks to all that replied. I do appreciate those of youwith experience sharing with usthat are still learning.

The belly pan came out just fine and looks good straight and true.

Drilling and taping the holes was a different story. Not sure what happened, as Iwas really careful about drilling straight and then tapping the hole. Some how it didn't get threaded straight, and I ended up doing what I probably should have done in the first place, and that's using a blind nut.

Put in the blind nut and a couple small adjustments and that part is done.

I see that some people noted they sheeted the belly pan, and Imay go ahead and do that so Ican shape it better than the box look it has now.

Thanks again. I'll post later as Iget closer to completion, and I'll post a completed picture.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: abbott915

Thanks to all that replied. I do appreciate those of you with experience sharing with us that are still learning.

The belly pan came out just fine and looks good straight and true.

Drilling and taping the holes was a different story. Not sure what happened, as I was really careful about drilling straight and then tapping the hole. Some how it didn't get threaded straight, and I ended up doing what I probably should have done in the first place, and that's using a blind nut.

Put in the blind nut and a couple small adjustments and that part is done.

I see that some people noted they sheeted the belly pan, and I may go ahead and do that so I can shape it better than the box look it has now.

Thanks again. I'll post later as I get closer to completion, and I'll post a completed picture.

Just remember, if you sheet the belly pan, then you will need to sand down the formers and stringers the thickness of the sheeting (whatever thickness you decide to use, 1/16 maybe?) so that it fits nice and flush. In my opinion, it's just not necessary, but it's your plane. To me, it's just extra weight (wood and glue), although not much. I will say this much, it would undoubtedly be easier to cover if it was sheeted.

And don't worry about getting the threads straight (but the blind nut is a good fix), mine was the same way. On page 27 of the instructions #21 tells you to install the paper tubes for the wing bolts. My kit did not come with the tubes, so I didn't even install them. Turns out that was better, because my thread tapping was a little bit off, but I am still able to screw the bolts in with no problem.

Good luck with your build. Mine has a DLE 20 and is a blast to fly. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM
SeamusG

Standard nylon 1/4x20 bolt heads will not fit down those marvelous tubes - either use provided metal bolts or there are some hex head nylon bolts that are available that will fit nicely.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 PM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Standard nylon 1/4x20 bolt heads will not fit down those marvelous tubes - either use provided metal bolts or there are some hex head nylon bolts that are available that will fit nicely.
Or don't install the tubes. Or buy larger diameter tubes.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM
SeamusG

There is a benefit to the tubes when using a glow engine mounted with the exhaust exiting on the bottom. Keeps the spooge from getting under that bit of sheeting.