Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick questions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:14 AM
vt_cruzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Ultra Stick questions

I've recently acquired an Ultra Stick and I have begun to put it together and have run into several problems. I've come up with some solutions but I don't know whether they are good or not. Maybe someone out there can help me.

First of all, the push rods for the elevator and rudder suck...alot. They are wooden dowel type push rods and they bind and are heavy. I think that I could move the elevator servo to the side to the fuse near the tail. This would allow me to use a 4-40 push rod. Also, I'm thinking of moving the rudder servo to the top of the fuse right in front of the vertical stab and making it a pull-pull system. The only thing that I'm afraid of here is weakening the tail. I've bought some plywood to back up the sections but I don't know if that will be adequate.

Secondly, I have a G-26 that I want to use on it, but this will require some serious bending of the throttle push rod. I'm not adverse to this, but there's got to be a better way. Also, the mounting holes for the G-26 are drilled through the tri-stock that backs up the firewall. I've had planes that I had to do this with before, but they were 40 size. Will this cause any probelms?

Any insight into my plight would be greatly appreciated as my Dad is helping me build it and he has gotten to the point of not wanting to work on it anymore becuase of all the problems. Please help...
Old 08-31-2003, 05:23 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ultra Stick

NoOne:

Must be the US 120 thast yoou're assembling.

With the G-23 or G-26 use an auxilliary firewall to get the screws away from the tri-stock.

Fasten the engine to an added piece of ply, and then bolt the ply to the firewall. As I remember, this is in the instruction sheets that came with the plane.

On the servo mountings, I'd wait until I had the engine on, to check balance. Mine, with a big Saito and servos up forward, still needed nose weight.

With the servos forward I used the hardwood pushrods, 4-40 ends, and DuBro ball links on everything.

To add the nose weight I used a set of "D" size sanyo NiCd cells, 4400 mah.

The only mod to the airframe is an added 1/8 plywood plate on the bottom outside from the firewall to approx 4" behind the landing gear mount.

And the inside has been painted with epoxy back to the rear of the wing saddle.

Put it together with the quad flaps, fantastic airplane. About a year old now, many enjoyable flights.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106024_18613.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	59366  
Old 08-31-2003, 05:57 AM
William Robison

Default More US

Couple things I forgot.

I ran the throttle pushrod outside the fuselage from about 4" behind the firewall. See picture.

Name:	106028_18613.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	59367  
Old 08-31-2003, 06:01 AM
William Robison

Default Still US

I added a hardwood reinforcement between the two sides of the elevator, after I notched it for the tail wheel I didn't think it was strong enough.

Compare the picture with your elevator, without the comparison it's not obvious.

You can also see the heavy duty DuBro horn and ball link on the elevator.

Name:	106030_18613.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	59368  
Old 08-31-2003, 06:03 AM
William Robison

Default Last US picture

At least for now.

Here's the battery, and look forward for another view of the throttle push rod.

Name:	106031_18613.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	59369