Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Monokote....Never Again

Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 AM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Monokote....Never Again

Stuntflyr,

I found out the hard way why you were told to make sure you got fresh rolls of Ultracote because it lose stickiness. The Miss Martha (pictured) was built around 2002 and covered with ultracote, nice looking plane. Had to get the wrinkles out of the wing two or three time a year. No real complaints, just the way this covering acts. 2010 - found that the covering had separated from the wing and the pink and yellow seam had come loose/seperated on both sides of the wing. Had problems with getting it to stick to itself (lost the stickiness). Took a lot of heat but I did get it to stay together. Flew the old girl in Arizona for two weekends. On the third weekend was coming out of a big loop, at about 4 o'clock those seams blew apart. A plane can't fly without wings so the Miss Martha is no more. Not trying to kick ultracote in the teeth, I think it's a ok covering but it does require maintenance (more than monokote IMO) and may need it more often as the years go by.

As for MonoKote. I haven't had a need to use the new stuff everyone is talk about, so I have no input. But the monokote covering (the old stuff) pictured on the Bob Marin ET 20 was done 23 years ago. I may have had to put heat to the wing three or four times to get wrinkles out or straighten the wing due to long hanger time and to patch those small holes you always get. Only had to touch the covering on the fuse three times due to mishaps. The Contender was built in 81 and went in during that year. The wing survived almost untouched (which I still have) and it still looks like it did in 81.

So until I use the new stuff, monokote will always be my number one covering. Once a person learns how to cover with monokote (maybe I'm talking about the old stuff), chance are they will use Monokote as their primary covering (JMO).

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16750.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1851565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86534.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1851567  
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have much problem with Monokote. I think it does take more heat, and maybe a stronger pull, but it stretched quite nice for me and everything pulled up tight with the gun. Being use to Monokote, the Ultracote I tried gave me fits until I turned down the heat. Was still more of a struggle for me, but in the end it They all did their job quite nicely. No peeling or real sagging issues from either.

Now tell me what was what on these models and I'll give you a cookie.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80691.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1851570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26962.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1851571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85018.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1851572  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mono is just hit or miss, sometimes it works and sometimes not. I don't understand the having to buy fresh Ultra? I have rolls of it in my shop that are so old the paper on the back fell off and it works just like it always has. Never once have I had any come off? I will be giving the HK covering a try on my next build. Today I'm heading to the local hobby shops in search of some transparent blue covering. I don't care if it's mono or ultra but if I have a choice it is always Ultra.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM
mikegordon10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In response to roncoleman -
Let me say this about that - "horsepucky!'
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 AM
sebo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have some Monokote that is 30 years old and it still works good.......have about 15 rolls left...I'll use them all........ However, I do prefer Coverite.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
roncoleman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CHassan

Now tell me what was what on these models and I'll give you a cookie

Dr. Pepper - Monokote, 7UP - Ultracote, Ultamate - not sure maybe both (white monokote trim ultracote).
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
roncoleman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gary,

I'm surprised at your comments. Over the years I've come across more than a couple of guys who rather complete a new construction with a new/fresh rolls of covering. The adhesive on all covering does deteriorate over time. So maybe the guy experienced problems in the past with some older covering and now it's his thing to use fresh covering only. Like Sobo, I have rolls of monokote that are over 30 years old, most is still useable but some the adhesive has dried out and I would have to use something like Balsarite to make stick. As for the Miss Martha, I had that covering about two years before it was put to use, so we a talking about ten year (+) old covering. For that amount of time I felt I got good service/use from the ultracote. I didn't use that ounce of prevention (recover the wing), pushed it pass its useable limits and got burned. Just because I couldn't wait a couple of days to flight test the last version of MDS 48 engine.

Ron
Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 PM
roncoleman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

I've read some of ports, so I have a feel for how you are.
You're a cranky old fart that loves to stir the pot.
So I'm disregarding "Horsepucky!" remark, this time.

Ron
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Mono is just hit or miss, sometimes it works and sometimes not. I don't understand the having to buy fresh Ultra? I have rolls of it in my shop that are so old the paper on the back fell off and it works just like it always has. Never once have I had any come off? I will be giving the HK covering a try on my next build. Today I'm heading to the local hobby shops in search of some transparent blue covering. I don't care if it's mono or ultra but if I have a choice it is always Ultra.
Some guys are having great results with their MK. We have a builder at one club that has used MK for a very long time (I think about 30 years now) and he has sold or throwed away all of his MK because he said that it has never been as bad as it is now. He covers some really big birds and the last he bought was trash and it cost him a lot of money. He was very torqued! I do respect what he says as his planes prove his ability when it comes to covering jobs.

I don't cover a lot and I have had hit or miss with MK, as you have. I had some old rolls I bought from someone that are really old and some of it works great even now after all those years. I am hoping that some of the new MK will have corrected some of the issues being seen now if not I expect their sales to greatly decrease over the next several years.

The last roll of white MK I bought was garbage and about all I can do is use it for small patches until I use it up. It essentially has no shrink and doesn't stick hardly at all. You just have to use an adhesive to use it.

BTW, if you do any covering with HK can you post and let us know how it works? I am more curious about it than anything as to HK comparison in covering. Durability will certainly have to be tested over time.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:04 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know Monocoat looses it's adhesive over time as I had a few sealed rolls from 12-15 years ago, opened them up to use and all they are now are rolls of colored plastic !
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
mikegordon10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In my experience (+40 years) MK does in fact loose it's adhesive over time. Ultracoat on the other hand doesn't. Sorry roncoleman but I just call them the way I see them, or in this case don't see it! Have a happy life. And in the future I'll prolly continue to call a spade a spade.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:33 PM
sebo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm wondering if the method of storage over all those years has an effect on the glue with MonoKote.
Kept it in the bedroom closet for lots of years and it still adhears when heated....Maybe I'm just blessed.
The stuff I have is really old and it seems to adhear well. I use it on planes that are smaller and it really still works well with me.
I still prefer coverite because of the way it stretches around corners.
Either way, I still keep a can of Balsa Rite on hand, just in case.....that stuff is really old too. It is getting thick and syrupy.....Maybe I ought to invest in a new can..........NAWWWWW!!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is so much smoke in this hread that I can hardly see to read it[8D]
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM
sebo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try some eye drops.........LOL I'm just saying what I know to be true...................Been modeling since I was 12 years old (I'm 70 now).............How about you? What's your experience?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 PM
roncoleman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,

With bias statements like that, you're screwing up the credibility you might have. Horizon must be paying you off with a few rolls of Ultracote for every post you make. I get the impression we are dealing with the 14 year old grandson of Mike, rather than the 40+ years of experienced Mike. As you said "you're calling it as you see it", I'm sure there are many things in this hobby you haven't seen or experienced. I was stationed, lived, and worked in Germany for over sixteen years. I've used Oracover (the German name), now called ultracote in the U.S., from 1977 thru 1997. I've used it through all of its stages from bad to better. With my 39 years of experience I think I know covering also.

Thanks for the life wishes and I wish the same for you. Tomorrow is going to be another great day. Go flying and enjoy it.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 PM
roncoleman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

There is so much smoke in this hread that I can hardly see to read it[8D]
Yeah some people product bashing beyond extreme to the point of being ridiculous.
The bad part about it is that it happens on all sites, in every area of radio control.
You would think the bashers are getting paid by the company they are supporting
with the way they go on. All that effort in an attempt influence the masses to use
one product over the other. Most never used the product.

Ron
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 AM
roncoleman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sebo,
Most of my really old (1975-79) monokote saw stored in a garage (exposed to the element) or in a attic. In both location I found a few roll were the adhesive dried out. I pretty sure if I used Balsarite I can still use the stuff. The stuff stored in a dark dry basement or in the house is still good but the adhesive has degraded some.

The only Coverite I've ever used was the old Super Coverite iron on fabric and the old their old iron on silkpan stuff, both you had to paint. Almost bought some of their iron film when they first came out with it but I didn't like the feel of it back then. Got into control line/RC 1974. Plastic models at age 6.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 AM
sensei

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What I see in many cases is when someone bashes a product over the top style; all their really stating is they may not possess the skills to successfully utilize that product, not to say that someone else may have great success with it.

Bob
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 AM
sebo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info........I like the century 21 iron on fabric too....It seems to be what ever you get used to!
Just enjoy the build and be happy with whatever suits you the best......God Bless.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 AM
hairy46

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The last monokote I used and I mean last, most of the roll did not work. It had like a powder on it, And I in no way trying to advertize another film, and last I know how to cover a plane, I have had a lot of great comments over the years of my builds.glad some of you were lucky enough to get a good roll or two, but fact is its not what it was,