Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best Kit for First Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best Kit for First Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Best Kit for First Build

The LT-40 is a very complete kt: hardware, wheels, engine mount, spinner all included. That makes it a real bargain for the price, and as many others have said, it's a great flying plane to learn on. The instruction manual is detailed and good for a beginning builder, I think. From your small electric to a 4-star would be a pretty big jump. I have no first-hand knowledge of the Balsa USA plane mentioned, but their kits are great.

Do you have a good local hobby shop nearby? If not, that's probably a good reason to go with something pretty complete like the LT-40.

I'd strongly advise against retracts. You'll have enough hurdles with your first build. Retracts are very cool, but they can also be a major pain. And the landing gear on the plane you'll be learning to fly on will get beaten up pretty badly. Trust me: your first landings with a glow powered plane will not be pretty. Better to beat up some bent wire than an expensive and fragile set of retracts.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of the SIG high-wing models would be good as a next step plane. After that, the Somethin Extra is a nice choice.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
nael.scorpio

Look,,,
Don't do what I did, I was like "what kit? And will this be ok for a first build" it all depends on what you want.
I think the best thing is to decide the level of the rc it self not the build,,, if your good with your hands and detailed enough in you attention to the small details the you'll probably be able to put together just about anything.
it's just how much your willing to spend...
My first build was a Tamiya TT-01 based on advise, liked it,,,, yes.. could have easily put a more complex kit,,, was it what I wanted , no.
My brother (who gave me the advise) got the more advanced TA.,, I ended up puting it together for him (even before finishing my kit),, it was more complex but easy for me, and definitely what I wanted and should have got

And this applies on planes, cars etc...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Really? You slam some guy's recommendation and then put up a link for a page that hasn't been update in over 3 years? And the latest info they show is 5 years old?

Dude - CHILL! See the smiley face??????? Or do I have to say ''just kidding'' whenever I say something toung in cheek. Maybe that's the straight laced new england upbringing that I have come to know and love. Oh - just kidding!

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally and completely rude!! How could you. I happen to like die cut kits and you know I'm a total and complete fan of sanding! I thought it was a nice plane, a bit put off by the price but it looked better then most trainers I have seen. Is that old critter even still cut?? You know how much I like yellow planes!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Snoblitz

For the record, that page that is 3-5 years old has some incredibly useful information for a new builder.  I've especially enjoyed the section that outlines what I need to do to get a good shop space preapred.

I din't even think about how you need to have a really flat building surface to make sure that everything stays nice and square.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...ng_surface.htm

I'm also convinced that using a magnetic building surface is a great way to go.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm

Thanks for all the guidance guys, keep it coming.  Tons of very useful info in this thread thus far!

-Jeff
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM
carrellh

I have built three kits. All from Great Planes, all die cut. I would guess laser cut parts are great but I would not make a decision only based on how the parts were cut.

Since you want to mount a camera, a high wing design might be desireable. A couple of our club members have used high wing trainers as camera platforms.

The SIG LT-40 is about the same size as the Great Planes PT-60 (my first kit) but is light enough to fly with an inexpensive 40 class engine. One of the RCU moderators (RCKen) did a very detailed build thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3439708 on the LT-40 so a lot of questions you might have are already answered.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Snoblitz

That's a great thread.  I'm relatively sure that I'm going to go ahead and order the LT-40 today.  Seems like a great starter project kit.  Now to get the workshop built out.

I've got an entire garage bay dedicated to this.  I really like Jeff Fair's workbench.  I'll most likely go this route.  Any other recommendations on getting a solid shop built out?

Are there any concerns with it being in the garage?  I live in the Pacific Northwest where the air is relatively damp for 8 months out of the year.  Will this cause issues with my build process?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Tarasdad

Good lighting for your work area is an absolute must. A strong, flat work surface that you can walk around at need. Storage space to keep tools and supplies within easy reach. Good floor mats to ease foot and back strain - standing on concrete is murder on both.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM
carrellh

Since the finished plane will be in the weather any time you take it out I think building it under real world conditions should work fine. In Texas it is too hot to be in the garage for most of the year but that is where my planes are kept once they are finished. I use a spare bedroom as my shop.

Between RCKen's thread and the Airfield Models site I think you have a pretty good idea of what you need. You do not need a ton of power tools to build an LT-40, and most of the things you do need can be picked up gradually.

I think a Dremel type rotary tool with a flexible shaft is extremely good to have. Mine is Black & Decker brand. I bought an IV pole from a medical supply company to hang it. Height is adjustable and the wheels make it very portable.

Over the course of several years I bought a drill press, disc/belt sander, band saw, and scroll saw. All of my bench mounted power tools are the Ryobi and Delta models that cost about $100 at Home Depot. I have used the sander much more than the others.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Snoblitz

Think I've got just about everything I need here.  Last request is opinions on which motor I should go with for the LT-40.  Doesn't look like the kit comes with one.  I don't want to underpower it, but at the same time - I want it to be something that I can handle.

Thoughts?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

HOBBICO ,GREAT PLANES AND SIG ALL MAKE EASY FLYABLE FIRST PLANES.STAY AWAY FROM RETRACTABLE GEAR ON YOUR FIRST PLANE.JUST LEARN THE BASICS FIRST ..
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Snoblitz

Love the passion in this post.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of input on kits here but all i can say is build it light,straight and true and they all will fly just fine. joe
Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
NEW222

It may be too late, but I like the Sig Kadet Senior and Seniorita. As for power, were you going to go glow or electric? 2 or 4 stroke? You had mentioned glow, I believe, but just wanted to ask.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
skyshot

If you can find one, the Sig Kavalier! Lot's of detailed instructions, covers all the building techniques including a tapered wing with leading and trailing sheathing, a "box" fuselage and plenty hand shaping of balsa stock (wing tips, leading edges and cowl fitting). Main wing alignment has a unique built in (part of the wing ribs) alignment tool and needs to be constructed over a building board. Purchase a few extra 3/32 sheets of balsa as the finished fuse looks better planked lengthwise. True "builders kit" but not overwhelming and I've yet to master it's flying capabilities. Use the "Carpenters Rule" (measure twice, fit dry and then glue) and take your time installing and aligning the wing mount dowels (just a tad' tricky). Looks like Sig's used two different cowlings in thse kit's. The flimsy "white plastic" and the heavier (yellowed) stuff that almost looks like molded fiberglass (it's plastic also). Take your time cutting to fit your engine (kind of unique 45 degree install) and anchor those cowl blocks. Easily rigged and large compartment for elecronics. May want to purchase a servo tray as none provided (can be built). Metal landing gear is tough as nails so "re-inforce" install. Did I tell you I like this kit? Honest this is a good, streightforward & logical build. Just take your time!
Hope this helps!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

The Venture 60 is and will be out of stock for a period of time yet. I did a construction review of the kit for Flying Models magazine well over a year ago. Bruce sold out of the stock of kits he had and asked that the review not be published until he can get another run of kits available. He is very busy doing larger research vehicles for universities and other entities, so I doubt the kit will be available again in the foreseeable future.

Keep in mind that he is a one-man shop and has chosen to make his living with model airplanes. In a circumstance like that, I would be willing to cut him as much slack as possible so he can keep food on the table. As modelers, we still have the benefit of his design skills evidenced in the Four Star series, the Mid-Star, and the other current designs found on his BTE site. The Venture 60 is such a wonderful, labor-intensive kit, that it gets done in periodically by its success!

Larry Kruse
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
ratshooter

The Sig kits already mentioned are excellent flyers. I have built several of them and never had a Sig model that wasn't just an excellent model. The same thing for the Great Planes kits also.

These folks haven't been mentioned yet so I would like to add them to the list. Look at the Aircruiser 60 and the Krafty 60. Both will fly on a good 40 bearing engine and will give you a chance to learn basic areobatics with a 46-60 sized engine. I have the Krafty 60 sitting on my work bench right now. Plus I have the Loadstar stored in the attic. I have built two Loadstars in the past and have the Aircruiser 25 hanging in my garage.

These are vey nice kits with top notch harware. Very nice wood and Joe Bridi designed some of the best flying planes around. Even the Kaos would be okay IF YOU GET HELP flying it for the first flights. Nothing beats a good instructor.

And good for you wanting to build a plane instead of buying an ARF.

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Snoblitz

Yep, glow. No clue as to what I should do here though. I do think that I'll steer clear of electric for this one. Whatcha think?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For an LT-40, if you fly from grass, and if it's not kept putting-green smooth, a 2-stroke .46 is a good engine. Off of pavement or very smooth grass a .40 would be fine. O.S. engines are great, but fairly expensive, though the LA series is somewhat less costly than the others. I've had good experiences with Tower Hobbies and Thunder Tiger 2-stroke engines, though some people have reported problems. (I've also gotten good results with Super Tigre engines, but they are not necessarily as user friendly as some of the others).

I wouldn't recommend a four-stroke for your first glow engine. Nothing wrong with them, and they sound great, but they're a bigger investment, a little harder to set up, and more likely to hurt you badly if you mess up.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM
overbuild

Ck out the Hobby Lobby web site they have a excellent video on their new lazer cutTelemaster kit. Also I am told they are releasing a lazer cut 96in wing span kit soon. Telemasters have a airfoil lifting tail and make a great camera platform. Good luck and happy building on what ever you select to build.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM
tms261

As far as power, you have many options. Personally, I prefer fuel or gas. The LT-40 will fly just fine on any .46 size 2 stroke glow engine. If low price is important, then the Thunder Tiger .46 Pro may be a good choice. Generally I have been partial to OS brand engines for most of 30 years.
They have a good .46 size engine. Fit, finish and overall design is second to none. But a bit more expensive. SuperTigre offers decent engines at a decent price. They have a .45 that is inexpensive. These are all 2 stroke engines, that are easier to maintain than 4 strokes, and are less expensive. Four strokes are nice, but heavier, more expensive, and require periodic valve adjustment. So, for 1st timer, I recommend 2 stroke glow. I have experience with all the above engines and manufacturers as well, and most 2 strokes now available will work fine for you as long as....

You follow the operators manual closely. That means:
Have a solid mount.
Use fresh fuel of proper oil and nitro content. Personally, I have great luck with Morgan Fuels Cool Power 15%. If you cant trust yourself to not run the engine lean, then please use Morgan Fuels Omega. It runs a little dirtier, but protects perhaps better.
Use balanced props in the recommended sizes. Most .46's will run fine with 10 X 6 up to 12 X 7(in the case of the OS) props. The 10 X 6 or 11 X 7 would probably be best to start with. Both wood and composite props will work. For a trainer this size I would use an APC brand prop.
Be patient and follow the manuals break in procedure.
DO NOT EVER run the engine lean. If you need more power, get a bigger engine.
DO NOT start the engine with your finger. Use a starter or a chicken stick.
(In the event you go with the OS .46AX, do yourself a favor and get a FOX RC LONG glow plug.)

There are many options with power. Part of the beauty of this great hobby. So many options. It can be hard to pick planes and engines. You have picked a solid first plane. To make the engine choice easy.....just get the OS .46AX! Of course, some will say, "go with a .61 engine now so you dont have to buy another one for your next plane". Well yes, but I would keep that trainer intact no matter what the next plane is. Its good to have at least two planes in the hangar.......

Congrats on your decision to build and progress in this hobby

Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Hy Jeff:

I´m builder and we are on extintion on this hobby.

Building is part of the fun, and once you become proeficient you save a lot of money fixing your minor crashes.

There are lots of old school kits wich are hard to buil but no impossible. DON´T SUFFER

Should be looking for laser cut, interloking parts, and a proven design. Start with a trainer and start building your building skills, you never stop learning nwe technicks.

With today economy and with Hobby King you can either go GLOW O ELECTRIC OR EVEN GAS.

Recomendations:

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Radical-RC-E-Kits-190 (intern 66) I have build several kits from this manufacturer and are a pleasure to build. Have no experience with intern 66.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaste...36879_prd1.htmThis is a proven design and updated to laser cut and inteloking. (this will be my recomendation for first build)

They say bigger is better, you can save a lot in the long term with gas engines

http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...its&SUBSC=kits (This is for the proven DLE 20 gas engine) Have no experience with this kit but lools nice and interesting option for a rubust gas rc plane.

cheers

JUan

Cheers

Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Snoblitz

Yep, glow. No clue as to what I should do here though. I do think that I'll steer clear of electric for this one. Whatcha think?
I powered my LT-40 with an OS .40LA, it is an inexpensive engine and powered the LT-40 just fine. The plane will just putt along at 1/4 throttle with this engine.

I would sink more money into a radio than anything. A good quality 2.4ghz 6+ channel. If you stay in the hobby this will suit your needs for times to come.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Snoblitz

Thanks Anthony! I've already got a Spektrum DX5e that came with Phoenix RC. I've been flying my Supercub with that. Think I should consider an upgrade or will the DX5e get me by for a while?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.