Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet LT-40 Radio/Engine Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kadet LT-40 Radio/Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 AM
FlyingTgr6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kadet LT-40 Radio/Engine Question

I'm pretty new to the RC world, having started with a $90 foam Champ and wanted to try something bigger and heavier. I bought a kit, because I've always loved building plastic AC models and I'm studying to become an A&P mechanic and I figured it would help with some aspects of study (hands on type of thing). Anyway, since I don't know about such things, what kind of engine would you recommend for someone who has very limited flight time? I don't need/want something super fast.

In the same vein, I'm looking around at all the options for servos and radio gear and am feeling a bit overwelmed as to all the options available. So again, for someone in my position, what would be some good choices for the electronics in this particular AC? I not really sure if all transmitters would work with all recievers and how they react with certain servos, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Sig Kadet LT-40 Radio/Engine Question

OS .40 LA is a good motor. Any of the major brand beginner 4 channel radio with the standard servos is fine in the Kadet.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 AM
FlyingTgr6

Hey thanks...I was looking at a few motors that OS has, so I'm glad to see I'm on the right track with that. As far as radio gear, any chance you could get a little more specific in terms of brands that I should gravitate to, or particular models?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LT40 in standard form needs 4 servos: Aileron, Rudder/nose wheel, elevator and throttle - thus the need for a 4 channel radio and receiver.

Size: There are standard servos sizes that represent the width, length and height of the servo. The "standard" servo size is used for the LT40. You can use a "mini" size for the throttle.

Type: digital or analog. The LT40 trainer works just fine with analog type servos.

Servo speed and torque: servos can be driven by different voltage battery packs. With higher voltages the servos are faster and provide more torque. Typically with glow powered planes the voltages include 4.8 or 6.0 (this is based on the chemistry of the battery pack. NiCd and NiMH individual batteries are rated at 1.2 volts. A 4.8 pack has 4 cells and the 6.0 pack has 5 cells).

Servo City gives you a pretty complete understanding of the various sizes as well as torque & speed ratings. See ServoCity. It will also give you an idea of costs for a couple of the popular brands.

HTH

Specifics:?

Servos:
    [*]Hitec HS 81 (or HS225) for throttle,[*]Hitec HS475 (now HS485)for the rudder, aileron and elevator[/list]Battery:
      [*]Battery pack: 6.0 v 2000 mAh capacity.[/list]Tx /Rx
        [*]Tx:Spektrum 2.4 DX7 or DX8 if you can (DX6). Rx:AR6100 with remote receiver.[/list]Switch:
          [*]MPI3-wire switch with charging port.[/list]
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 AM
soarrich

I agree with what JohnGilmore wrote, Any of the major brand radios will work, I would say that you really want to get one of the 2.4 GHz radios, the 72 MHz is on the way out.

Servocity has good prices, their TX page is:
http://www.servocity.com/html/transm..._packages.html
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 AM
FlyingTgr6

I feel like an idiot...With this being a gas engine setup, I hadn't even thought about the need for a battery. Now I know why the instructions mention a battery location.

Anywho, thanks for that...I'm checking out the site now.

One other thing...you mention a switch with charging port...is that for the battery?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 AM
soarrich

FlyingTgr6

Just to keep the terminology straight it's a Nitro, gas means Gasoline, much different and bigger.

Don't forget an on-off switch. With you starting fresh you may want to start by buying a radio system, it will have the switches chargers and batteries that you need.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 AM
SeamusG

On the switch: Get a 3-wire switch. The lead from the switch to the Rx has 3 wires. This allows you to "bind" the Tx with the Rx from outside the plane by plugging the "bind clip"into the switch's charging port. Binding is a requirement for 2.4 radios that support multiple model settings (like the Spektrum DX7.). If you install a 2-wire switch then you will have to plug the "bind clip" directly into an Rx fitting. Sometimes a royal PITA.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 PM
FlyingTgr6

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...em_Switch.html

Is this the type of switch you were talking about?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM
SeamusG

MPI Charge Switch
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM
FlyingTgr6

So one of the top two there is what I need based on the Rx I get. Am I correct in this assumption?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 PM
SeamusG

That's correct. The wire connector differs for "Futaba" and the "JR / and Hitec". Btw, Spektrum uses the JR style connector.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
FlyingTgr6

Cool...I think I have a pretty good grasp of what I need to get now...thanks for your patience and help!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 PM
huck1199

Join a club and buddy up with a veteran to help you build and learn to fly.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM
FlyingTgr6

Trust me, I plan on it...lol I don't want to see a bunch of hard work go down the drain because I didn't take the time to learn how to fly properly.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: FlyingTgr6

Trust me, I plan on it...lol I don't want to see a bunch of hard work go down the drain because I didn't take the time to learn how to fly properly.
Emmmmmm ... Some of us DIDlearn how to fly properly AND THENhave seen a bunch of hard work go down the drain - hate to say it but it seems to be part of the hobby. Yea, we try to minimize it thru learning rather than trial-n-error ...

Keep sharing!

Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM
FlyingTgr6

Well yeah, lol, I just didn't want it to be because of my lack of flight training...but yeah, I understand that it's never a question of if...but when.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

I like to go with:

* A .46 engine
* 5 Servos - 1 in each wing for Aileron Servos

The .40 is enough power, but the .46 might get you out of trouble in a tough spot.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, an O.S. 46 AX will arguably last longer and be a more versatile engine in the long run, for minimal increase in expense. Just sayin'...
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

JUST REMEMBER THIS....... Anything you buy today, especially if it's "for the beginner"..you have until own 20 RC birds!!

My point is this, you are not just purchasing gear, motors, batteries for this project....if you really love to fly you will continue to fly. So do yourself a favor, AND save yourself a lot of money,,GET WITH A CLUB NOW, BEFORE YOU START BUYING JUNK!!!

I would never recommend that any new pilot purchase ANY O.S. LA GUTLESS ENGINE!! When you get bored with this first bird....that engine is useless!! Instead, buy an any O.S. engine with ball bearings!! 40 FX, 46 FX, 46 AX, 55AX.....these engines will last you a life time, and you only have to buy them ONCE!!!

Same advise goes for your RADIO gear.....buy a system that will grow with you. A Futaba 6 Channel (minimum) radio, will also grow with you, because you can fly multiple birds, with one radio!!! TRUST ME ON THIS!!!

If you find a club in your area, those guys will send you down the right path......SAVE YOU TONS OF TIME, FRUSTRATION AND MONEY!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

I would never recommend that any new pilot purchase ANY O.S. LA GUTLESS ENGINE!! When you get bored with this first bird....that engine is useless!! Instead, buy an any O.S. engine with ball bearings!! 40 FX, 46 FX, 46 AX, 55AX.....these engines will last you a life time, and you only have to buy them ONCE!!!

I had 13~14 engines on my LT-40. The OS.40LA and the Saito .50 where the two best engines for this plane!

The problem with the other engines that you mentioned, other than over-powering the plane, is the ball bearings. The LA is a bushed engine so it has no ball bearings to rust, beginners don't go flying 4 times a week, or use after-run oil, they kill ball bearing engines.

Normally I would agree with you about buying quality, but for a rank beginner I'd say buy good stuff, but not the best. It's easier to walk away from a $300 mistake than a $1000 one, you'd be shocked at how many trainers show up at our club auction with 0 to 3 flights on them.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 AM
bikerbc

An os 46AX is the perfect match for the LT40...The LAs dont have as much power and dont last as long because they dont have bearings..I cant imagine needing 13 or 14 engines on a plane...I only need one on my LT40 and that was a OS46AX...It is on it 4th plane now and still running fine....I have never used any after run oil on it either....I use Morgan fuel and its supposto keep it lubricated...
Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 AM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: bikerbcI cant imagine needing 13 or 14 engines on a plane

Didn't need 13~14 engines, I like engines. I put about every .40 to .46 two stroke on it, .50 to .80 four stroke, and some oddballs like Testers .35, RCV .60, OS Wankle. The most powerful was a OS .61 FSR, 3' take-off roll, but no fun to fly. The lease powerful was a OS.30, it needed a bump to get off, but it flew it OK using full power. The RCV .60 had the power of a .40, the thurst of a .60, the weight of a .90, and the cost of a 1.20, but a neat engine.

ORIGINAL: bikerbcI I use Morgan fuel and its supposto keep it lubricated...

Buy a quart of ATF and squirt some in at the end of your flying, your engine will last much longer.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

LT-40) is a Great Plane fly's Really good.

LA-40 is a good engine for it. LA-46 a little better. If you want to go with 70 4 stroke you would enjoy that as well. You can always use the LA engines in a combat plane as you graduate in to other Planes.

The Lt-40 uses one servo in the center for the ailerons main wing. one elevator, one rudder and one throttle.

I would get at least a six channel radio so it can grow with you. 2.4 is the only way to go.

Have fun.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM
SeamusG

On engine selection ...

Save your higher horsepower engines for something else. I've tried an Evolution 52 - too much HP - straight-n-level at full throttle was a real trimming challenge! Currently using an OS 46 FX. Flies well. It has enough power (with the right prop) to pull it over the top on inside loops, Immelmans, 1/2 Cuban 8's etc. Anything less and you'll probably fall out of those loops (and 1/2 loops).

Yea, I know, it's a trainer! Well, everyone's gonna try new stuff.

Be aware, the LT40's definition of a roll is gonna need up a good amount of up elevator before initiating the roll so that it's exit is at the same altitude as its entry. Gonna resemble a barrel too ...

Have fun and let us know how you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.