Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on color scheme

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Looking for advice on color scheme

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for advice on color scheme

Hello, all! Here is my Sig 1/5 Cub, and I can't quite see how to finish the color scheme. There will be more decals applied (N-numbers, etc.), but I think there needs to be more green somewhere. Maybe the rudder? Elevator? BOTH?? [&:]

Maybe a different color altogether? Help me decide!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Looking for advice on color scheme

Maybe some yellow?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a Cub star burst? Maybe tie in with the cowl color? Burst color of green with a 1/2" of black outline to really offset the bursts from the field color. Or perhaps just use black for the bursts.

There are a couple of "star burst" specific threads if I remember correctly. One was an LT-40 black over yellow.

Found the thread: Go here

Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Dope Fiend, Very nice job building your cub! I looked at your photos on the other thread and I liked it before the cowl turned green! Sorry, but I would repaint the cowl cream to match rest of the plane, move the cub decal back to the vertical stab, add N numbers in black to the wings (top and bottom), and small numbers on the rudder. Cubs built in lock Haven Pa. had the tail #'s on the rudder in a horizonal pattern and Cubs built in Oklahoma had the tail #'s on the rudder stacked in a vertical pattern. I would make it an "Oklahoma" Cub, pretty stock but with cream not cub yellow as the base color. Piper did make some later cubs (J-4 or J-5) with cream as the base color but not J-3's that I know of, but close enough. That's just what I would do, IT"S YOUR PLANE, so if you like the green than go with it. How about matching green N numbers on the wings and tail and the lighting bolt resprayed in green to match the cowl? At one time in the other thread you thought about maroon and cream, that would have a good period look, again IMHO. You've done a great job on this built, so make it pretty!! I'll keep looking for the finished photos. Enjoy...
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint the cowl to match the overall color of the air frame. Black and cream looks very good together. There was a Cub that rolled off the assembly line painted overall black with cream trim!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
G8er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does the underside of the wing look? I agree it needs something a little bit extra. My eyes notice the rear rudder area lacking the most, maybe because I am so use to seeing the piper emblem there. you could try and bring that green into the color scheme a little more by replacing that black bolt with the green and add some green to the tail like this one

Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks for the input and the kind words, guys.

I know,it's a non-traditional color scheme... but that's kind of the point

I like the idea of the starburst on the rudder, I may go with that. I'm pretty well committed to the green (I just like the color!), so I need to find a way to make it work. I still have lots of work to do elsewhere on this model, so I spose I'll just set it aside and let it gel for a while.

Thanks again... and any additional suggestions are welcome!