Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Coverite trim iron

I have been using a TF trim iron for years but have never really been satisfied with it. For those of you who have used both, is the Coverite trim iron any better?
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Coverite trim iron

I have used both the TF and coverite irons and I would much prefer the coverite iron. I cant really name what the advantages of it are (for me at least) but I just prefer it over the TF iron. The coverite iron feels alot nicer when it glides over the covering. It also has a sharper point at the tip if you need to get into tighter spaces. The only reason I actually got a coverite iron was because my long time 30 year old TF iron started crapping out. Something with the heating element inside stopped working.

Edit* I see now that you are talking about the "trim" iron. All of what I was refferring to was the regular full size irons. I as well have only used the Top flight trim Iron

WACO Brotherhood #166/ Cub Brotherhood #16
    1/2 Scale S**** Sky Baby Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just started using the Coverite trim iron , I had used the TF trim iron for years and was never really happy with the low / high temperatures , either too cool or too hot . Using the Coverite I like the variable temp settings but the slider needs to be a small knob . It is very easy to move the temp slider when usining the iron and not know you have changed the setting. I am undecided about the shoe differences.
    \"Aint this great !!\" - Chris
    \"Nosen Cessna 310 Club\" #8
    \"Cub Brotherhood\" #11

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I prefer my Coverite irons. Something about the surface coating and the shape of the iron, along with good thermostats.
    #26 Club Saito FA-62, FA-90TS, FA-120R3
    -Glowhead Brotherhood-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the Coverite temp control. Accurate once set. Easy to return to an effective temp. Very good temp recovery - turn it up or down and the iron changes temp fairly quickly and accurately. The rounded sides of the iron can be useful. Nice up turned point on the front. My 1st Coverite died after 10-12 planes but I have been known to forget to turn it off at end of a session.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

10 to 12 planes is still pretty good!
    #26 Club Saito FA-62, FA-90TS, FA-120R3
    -Glowhead Brotherhood-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi fellows: I have both of these Coverite irons along with other brands. So far I have noticed that that both irons do not seem to reach the max temp settings especially the small trim iron. This makes getting the Ultracoat covering to stick will when doing the control surface gaps. The larger Coverite iron temp really goes down when the sole is covered with the proper boot. My other irons are generally used for back up when encountering the lack of the covering getting attached correctly. Purchased a set of these irons on e-bay, and then purchased two new ones with the same under temp problems. I very much like the Coverite iron shapes; so put up the under temp condition until the final shrinking is needed. I have a Duratrax Flashpoint temp gage which shows the temp readings; so know that the irons are not reaching the dial indicated settings. Would appreciate hearing what type of temp you are getting from your irons at each setting.

Cheers!!!

aerorich73@centurylink.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used both, and prefer the TF trim iron over the Coverite. The Coverite has a slide temp control, which I frequently moved by accident, changing the temp. I ended up putting a piece of tape over it to keep it in one place. It was also larger, and I found it to be cumbersome/clumsy. It is of good quality, but I just felt more comfortable using the old TF unit. I do prefer the Coverite full size iron over the TF full size iron though. Just one guys opinion...
    I know just enough to be dangerous

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used both and I do prefer the Top Flite tools. Good Luck, Dave
    If the screw ain\'t loose then things ain\'t normal.

Dave Agar
    AMA#97144

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyingPilgrim

I have used both, and prefer the TF trim iron over the Coverite. The Coverite has a slide temp control, which I frequently moved by accident, changing the temp. I ended up putting a piece of tape over it to keep it in one place. It was also larger, and I found it to be cumbersome/clumsy. It is of good quality, but I just felt more comfortable using the old TF unit. I do prefer the Coverite full size iron over the TF full size iron though. Just one guys opinion...
    The Coverite has a slide temp control? Check the pictures of my Coverite iron. Where's the slide control?

Thanks for clearing this up for me 'cause sometimes I can be pretty slow ...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The coverite 21st century iron is fantastic. It's very fast to heat up and the electronic control is very precise compared to the bimetallic strip standard irons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnGilmore

ORIGINAL: FlyingPilgrim

The Coverite has a slide temp control? Check the pictures of my Coverite iron. Where's the slide control?

Thanks for clearing this up for me 'cause sometimes I can be pretty slow ...

John They're talking about the "trim" iron having the slide control, not the full size.
    ED -- AMA 20464 -- A plane is 1000+ different parts all flying in very close formation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My opinion:

I would choose the Coverite Iron, every time, hands down, and without reservation- over the Top Flite iron.

Brian
    N Central Regional Director
    Classic Pattern Association

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use them both . I have one with a sock and one with out plus I do a lot with my trim iron. I place almost everything with my trim irons.. Thats probably one of the reasons it takes me so long to cover
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a Top Flite iron that I bought in the late 80's that I was still using until late last year. I replaced it with the Coverite iron. It's dead. I bought another Top Flite iron.... I do like the Coverite trim iron better though. At least it's still working.
    Don\'\'t just stand there, go get some glue!