Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Swoose Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Swoose Build

Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Swoose Build

Made up the legs for the floats and got the floats mounted on #2 yesterday, learned a lot doing it! I need to set them now so the width between them is even. I discovered they were toe in with the wire I bent to the plans. Next set will have longer wire that attaches to the floats so I can move the floats in and out to get them even. They may be long enough to get these straight, if not then I have a bunch more wire to bend! I had to bend a couple of new wires to get them incidenced the way I wanted them. I added a couple degrees of positive in them instead of changing the wing on the plane.
This one is about ready to be handed over to the new owner for finish sanding and covering. He is also making up a motor mount for the electric motor then I will glass up the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82511.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1805726  
Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Gray Beard

Had to rebend the wire for the gear legs, I discovered Joe Demarco made the templates way too long for the wires. So long I was able to cut the bend off the wire and rebend it to the correct size. Like 3 inches over sized. Got them set correctly then made up the skirts. It's now ready to be handed over to my friend so he can mount his motor and finish sand and cover. It was a fun build and a very cool looking plane.

Name:	Sq48318.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1806080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14265.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1806081  
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

That is one cool looking frame.. very nice job. I'm really liking pretty much anything lately with alot of "eliptical" shapes.. awesome man.. thanks for sharing.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:04 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Grey Beard, I have watched you build this plane from the get go, congratulations well done. You have inspired me to get the plans and build one not two for our annual float fly next year! Please be sure to includephotos when covered and painted.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:49 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Great looking plane Gene, nice job.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way it would look better is: if it was being sent to my house. Gene, it looks like I taught you well
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Gray Beard

Gene, you did inspire me to keep at it after I saw your Cobra. If you can build those two wings for a Bipe I figured I could build the two singles. When you posted your photos I was having wing burn out. The wing jig I used made it very easy to build each wing halve.
Vince, I really didn't do a build thread. The servers make photo posting of my photos too difficult/slow and error 500s even after I reduced the size. The build was a lot of fun though but I agree, two of them was work.
When they are both finished I will take them both over to one of the golf courses and take some water shots. Very green water but that should show off the planes. My friend doesn't know what color of covering he will be using yet so I haven't installed the pilot, I have one in blue and one in yellow from some ARFs I assembled for people. I did a tint of red for his canopy and blue for mine. I have three colors of two part epoxy and I want to try to use an air brush to blend them. That should be good for a laugh, I have zero talent or skill with one.
Gene
If I make it over to the float fly in Nov. they hold at the London Bridge they may be ready to fly? If my AMA card is renewed then I will fly them, if not I may ask John Buckner to do the honors for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Gray Beard

It was pick up day for #2 so I got a photo of Smitty and I with our planes still in the bones. Started glassing my fuse today, should have that done in a few days then the finish coats and more S a n d i n g!! I really hate sanding!!! The finish coats are a 50/50 mix of Deft and baby powder so it isn't just a lot of dust but it stinks!!

Name:	Wu61084.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1807868  
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get too close to a razor blade?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Gray Beard

Happens.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:19 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Gene,

I think the longer legs (landing gear) like what is on your plane is the way to go with the floats. Keeps the prop from blasting so much water. Planes look great.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Gray Beard

I think you are right about that. I made the legs for Smitty's almost according to the plans but had to make mine longer to clear the prop. I really never thought about the water. Bob's plane is going with electric and will use a 12 inch three blade and the floats will clear a 15 inch prop so his should be OK. Mine will now clear a 15 inch prop too but I'm planing on using a 14 inch three blade MAS. Mounting the floats was the hardest part of the build. I used stacks of books to hold them while getting them set. I put in 3 degrees of positive incidence on them. Still have a lot of finish work on them but I'm already looking forward to maiden day.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Gray Beard

Finally got around to painting #1 swoose, mine!! Just got it all back together and all the controls working and set up. Minor little things to do before maiden. The plug is made and as soon as I get the resin I will be glassing up a couple of cowls. With paint and glass and that big nasty YS 1.10 up front it came in right at 7 pounds. It's set up with the land gear on it until after I get it all in trim. Then I will change over to the floats for the water maiden. The builds were pretty fast but it took a lot of time to get all the Klass Kote paint in my hot little hands. Just had to wait for the cooler weather to make the job harder then needed.

Name:	Vt57284.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1821700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99956.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1821701  
Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks nice Gene, that's a lot of engine for that plane- I love it!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM
drube

Looks great Gene!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Gray Beard

Just brought the build thread back up for those asking where it went? The search engine worked OK for me but the thread was back quite a few pages.

Name:	Xs58568.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1828232  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Red_Jeepster

I do hate to change topic, but did you ever get started on the Prime Cut +20? I look forward to that.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Gray Beard

I have been trying to figure out what to do next, it has been between the PC-20, the Howard Pete or the Ultra sport 1000. Due to money, lack of, I think I will go with the US 1000 kit, all I need for it is covering. I also have an Ultimate Bipe to build, little 33 inch that will go electric. I have been fooling with getting the Swoose on the floats and getting the controls into the satyr. The Satyr is almost ready to cover. Whatever I choose to do will be soon, like in a week or two. I will bring in the PM-20 and check out the plans to see what I need to have on hand before I can start the build. I know it needs a wing tube or two, money! MAN may have another set of plans for the Prime Cut. Why not jump into the build yourself. It's really an easy plane to cut and build. I'll look at the plans again today, maybe the US kit has a wing tube in it???