Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Extra 300S Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Extra 300S Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 AM
dignlivn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Extra 300S Kit

I'm buying a kit from a club member (NIB).

Would like to see photos of completed kit. Feel free to
post yours. Any input on your build is welome also.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Nergall

Default RE: Midwest Extra 300S Kit

I have one of these on the shelf on my todo list.

One caveat - it did not come with a cowl or wheel pants... (I ordered them from Fiberglass Specialties, but it definitely adds to the price.)

Yours may be missing these items as well, depending on how close to the end of the run your club member got his.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nergall

I have one of these on the shelf on my todo list.

One caveat - it did not come with a cowl or wheel pants... (I ordered them from Fiberglass Specialties, but it definitely adds to the price.)

Yours may be missing these items as well, depending on how close to the end of the run your club member got his.
The "S" kit actually does come with a junk plastic cowl, the SX come with a discount coupon,,, I did buy the Fiberglas ones also,

I built 3 back in the day,, pic in my gallery

This is the SX I built 3 years ago

Old 05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Nergall

Yer right, mine says 300XS.

The later kits apparently have an airfoil stab as well.

What did ya' power that beauty with?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Brison 3.2

http://youtu.be/V3qZA1q_c0k
Old 05-16-2012, 03:24 AM
dignlivn

It has after market Cowl and wheel pants included.

Bob
Old 05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Poffit
My Feedback: (4)

A Midwest Extra was my project this past winter. It was an airfoiled stab kit. I didn't actually build the kit, but used the kit parts as templates to make my own parts. That way, if or when something happens to this plane, then I still have the templates to build another one. As fun as this plane is, I will always want one around. It is just one of those planes that makes me look like a better pilot than I really am. The plane has a very mild stall and flies very precise.

As with every kit I build I scoured the internet looking for all the tips and tricks everyone used on this plane. The weights that people were talking about ranged from 12lbs. all the way to 18lbs.
Mine ended up at 14lbs., but then I added another 8ozs. of smoke equipment that I am going to play with.

As far as engine, a ZDZ 40 was going to go on this plane. But then I found out a DLE 55 was only a few ounces heavier than the ZDZ so that is what ended up on the nose. Talk about Crazy Power, it has unlimited vertical at 3/4 throttle.

As far as major mods that I remember making, a few more and bigger lightening holes, replaced spruce wing spars with 1/4 x 3/8 balsa carbon fiber and 1/8 x 3/8 balsa laminated together, replaced stab spruce spars with hard balsa and since I cut all new ribs I left stand offs on them so I could build the stab in one piece with sheeting that spanned the complete stab, instead of making two stab halves and then epoxying them together. The spruce bottom stringers were replaced with balsa with a few more formers for support to make them a little more durable. The fuse top and bottom as well as all the formers aft of the slant former made out of 1/8 balsa instead of lite ply. The front and rear turtle decks were made out of balsa instead of ply. Thats the biggest changes that were made that I can think of right now. Most of these changes were made just to save weight. I wouldn't make any changes to the overall design of the plane, because as I say, it is a great flying plane as is.

You should consider using your kit as a template to cut another as I did, because I think you will love this plane and want to build another someday.

Pat

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94825.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	1763849  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 AM
dignlivn

Thanks Pat for the input. I got the kit yesterday.

Bob
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 AM
tomfiorentino

ORIGINAL: Poffit

A Midwest Extra was my project this past winter. It was an airfoiled stab kit. I didn't actually build the kit, but used the kit parts as templates to make my own parts. That way, if or when something happens to this plane, then I still have the templates to build another one. As fun as this plane is, I will always want one around. It is just one of those planes that makes me look like a better pilot than I really am. The plane has a very mild stall and flies very precise.

As with every kit I build I scoured the internet looking for all the tips and tricks everyone used on this plane. The weights that people were talking about ranged from 12lbs. all the way to 18lbs.
Mine ended up at 14lbs., but then I added another 8ozs. of smoke equipment that I am going to play with.

As far as engine, a ZDZ 40 was going to go on this plane. But then I found out a DLE 55 was only a few ounces heavier than the ZDZ so that is what ended up on the nose. Talk about Crazy Power, it has unlimited vertical at 3/4 throttle.

As far as major mods that I remember making, a few more and bigger lightening holes, replaced spruce wing spars with 1/4 x 3/8 balsa carbon fiber and 1/8 x 3/8 balsa laminated together, replaced stab spruce spars with hard balsa and since I cut all new ribs I left stand offs on them so I could build the stab in one piece with sheeting that spanned the complete stab, instead of making two stab halves and then epoxying them together. The spruce bottom stringers were replaced with balsa with a few more formers for support to make them a little more durable. The fuse top and bottom as well as all the formers aft of the slant former made out of 1/8 balsa instead of lite ply. The front and rear turtle decks were made out of balsa instead of ply. Thats the biggest changes that were made that I can think of right now. Most of these changes were made just to save weight. I wouldn't make any changes to the overall design of the plane, because as I say, it is a great flying plane as is.

You should consider using your kit as a template to cut another as I did, because I think you will love this plane and want to build another someday.

Pat

I have one nib in the cellar too...

Lovely plane by the way with a beautiful picture and field!!

Tom
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
mooredj
My Feedback: (9)

I am hoping one of you guys can help me out. I have the non-airfoiled version of this kit. Is there any way one of you guys can help me out. I am looking to see if someone can copy just that section of the plans and send it to me. I will pay for the cost to do this. Midwest no longer has the information. I also have two Midwest Cap 232 kits of the same size.

Thanks in advance to any help on this.

David
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's an older pic of mine.. probably a smallish image.. I've been wanting to get some current pics of lately though.. someone else is/was looking for info on the "foiled" tail version(SX).. Mine is flat.. They say either version flys very similar. If you do go with the flat-tail.. be sure to use/add the flying wires.. they add so much strength to that tail..

I would almost venture a guess the flat-tail is stronger because of the wires. The wires do detract a tad though one version to the other in my opinion.. Oh well.. mines 10yrs old.. it was pure pleasure building it... I've got the GreatPlanes 33% 330 to build one of these days too.. Heres my Extra..
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

I have both kits, flat stab and airfoil stab. Do you only need the plan section of the tail?

Send me a PM with your e-mail so we can coordinate.

Pedro

Old 10-13-2012, 04:58 AM
SRQFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

Bob,

This is mine, modeled after Mike Goulian's acrobatic plane of the 90s. This is the flat stab version and is now about 16+ years old. It has a Moki 2.10 turning a 20x8 prop and weighs about 17 lbs. or a little less. Spectacular performer!

The picture of the model was a paper one and scanned in, so the quality isn't so good. I've also attached a picture of Mike on the Extra. He now flies in the Red Bull races.

Enjoy,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71380.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1810762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87590.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1810763  
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 AM
dignlivn

Nice plane, thanks for the pics. I'm installing servos and
engine this weekend.

Bob
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

David do you still need the airfoiled tail information? Pat was kind enough to draw the parts and assemblies needed to make the conversion and a copy of the instruction book detailing that portion of the build. Pat put a lot of work in to this, THANK YOU Pat. I will be glad to copy what Pat did and send it to you. PM me with your mailing address.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:48 AM

hi i know its an old post but you gave pat such kudo's for his work. he must have done a great job. i recently purchased a real nice 300s OLD KIT but hardly a fingerprint on it. i would like to transform to an xs if possible. is there any chance you still have the information. my model budget isnt large but i dont mind paying for good info either.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 PM
mooredj
My Feedback: (9)

I still have the info. I will need to dig it out for you. Cost will only be for copying and send the info to you. Fighting through recovery from acute myeloid leukemia at the moment so have been out of planes for a bit. Ping this post again if you don't hear back from me soon. Lot of things going on at the moment.

David
Old 05-30-2018, 03:42 AM
OldScaleGuy

I still have the information as well. I have been told by a fellow that has built both the flat tail and the air foil tail that the flat tail version flies much better. Has any one else heard that?
Based on my friend's experience i will build another flat tail version when the time comes.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:59 AM
DGrant

I've actually heard they're very similar. I have the flat-tail version. I've not flown a foil-tail so I can't say from first hand experience... but I do like my flat-tail 300S. It's been with me a looong time now. I've flown it more this year then I ever have.

I resurrected it with a new modern radio/servos/batteries/etc... and I'm very pleased. These planes really were ahead of their time I think. I hope to enter my first IMAC competition with it in the near future.

OldScaleGuy... I also remember and have been referring back to your build thread on the Great Planes 33% Extra 330L. I've now got 3 of those monsters(2 built, 1 still NIB kit). I'm hoping to maiden one of them sometime this summer. I've nearly got all my components now. Are you still flying your 330L?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:14 AM
OldScaleGuy

DGrant, yes, i still have my 1/3 scale 330L. It is a great flying plane. I have not flown it in a while but it is on the list for taking to the field soon. I too have another one in kit form.
I think i will stick with the flat tail on the Midwest kit, one certainly can see it when flying. The air foil tail is more appealing to look at but why argue with a winning design that we know flies well?
My first Midwest was a flat tail it flew great too, sure wish i hadn't of sold it.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:29 PM
DGrant

I have plans in digital form for the flat-tail version of the Midwest 300S if that might help. I've found them very handy for reference.... as well you can have them output full size if you need of course. Hit me with a PM with your email addy if you'd like a copy of the files.

I've been flying the snot out of my MW 300S this year. It's on the bench right now getting an inspection and maintenance... all part of keeping these planes looking and flying well!..

So glad to hear you're still flying your 330L. That was a next step for me 16yrs ago when I finished my MW 300S... it's just taken me 16yrs to get to it is all... haha... I've been a big fan of these classic aerobats forever though. Thanks for your reply. Have a great afternoon!.

Last edited by DGrant; 05-30-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:17 PM
DGrant

Here's a recent pic (about 30days ago) of my 300S.... This is obviously a flat-tail version.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:17 AM
OldScaleGuy

Awesome!
Old 06-06-2018, 09:57 AM
DGrant

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
Awesome!
Thank you Steve! ... I've been working and gathering on my GP 330L too. I should have it flying next month I hope. Vacations, travel, and family time lately have kept me from really digging into it.

It's all good though. When I get little breaks like this, then come back in a few weeks or so, it's like everything is brand new all over again... It's a great hobby isn't it!