Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Somethin' Extra Maiden Flight!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Somethin' Extra Maiden Flight!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 10:41 PM
WYDAH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Somethin' Extra Maiden Flight!

Hi,

Just finished my Sig SE over the long holiday weekend and had a chance to fly it this afternoon. It's only my 2nd plane since this is only the second year of participation in this great hobby. I've only had the trainer (Sig Kadet LT40) out twice this season since my "free" weekends have been few and far between. I took the Kadet up for 3 uneventful flights, then decided it was time to take up the SE. The wind was a bit stronger than I like, but I figure I had to try it out. I'm flying it with a .46 TT pro spinning a 11X5 prop and this thing is a total blast to fly. It tracked beautifully on both the ground and in the air. Though it was not on the ground very long since it wanted to lift off in about 15 to 20 feet even on the grass field. I need absolutely no trim changes. I had kept the aileron throws really numb (less than half of the recommended low rates) because I had read here about how touchy the roll rate is on this plane. It handled just great, and went just where I pointed it. It's an amazing plane with awesome performance. Just not sure I'll ever want to fly my Kadet again!
Check out some more pics of the build at my website below.

www.rcsites.net/wydah

Special thanks to "Termagator" for his post in the "tips and techniques" section of his 3D flag trim scheme which I used on the bottom side. Truely awesome looking in the air!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106552_13032.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	59512  
Old 09-01-2003, 10:42 PM
WYDAH

Default One of the 3D Flag on the Bottom Side.

Bottom View....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106553_13032.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	59513  
Old 09-01-2003, 11:19 PM
David Cutler

Congratulations on the first flight.

Good to see you reduced the throw on the ailerons, at least to begin with. I bet it still rolled quickly!

The only thing it won't do is a sustained knife edge, but everything else is available to you!

They spin spectacularly, stopping immediately you center the controls, and they are about the only aerobatic plane I have ever flown that doesn't snap at extreme elevator throws.

Good luck and have fun!

-David C.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:44 AM
WYDAH

Default Roll Rate...

Thanks David, Yes the rolls are still phenomenal. I have a dual rate radio and had set my low rate to a mere 12% throw which worked out to about 3/8" up and down on the ailerons. My "high" rates were set to 50% which was between 3/4" - 1" up and down. I started with my low which was good for take off, and it still rolled quicker than my trainer with just that 3/8" of throw. After gaining some altitude I switched to my "high" setting and it was plenty for me. I love the power this TT 46 pro has as well. Seems to pull it up and up rolling all the way.
Have much more experimenting to do with this plane as I try and learn the ropes. I've got a GP Skybolt I've been waiting to fly as well, but wanted the SE as an intermediate plane to practice on. So far its been just great.

Later.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:20 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Wydah,
Congrats on your maiden with a really well done SE. I would suggest raising the percentages on the radio and mechanically reducing the throws as 12% will dramatically reduce the resolution of the servo to stick movement.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:26 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! I think the picture of the top of your model just burned my retinas! But, I sure do like the bottom

I'm still working on trimming my S.E. but my impressions are the same as yours so far. I need to move the CG back a little as I'm running out of elevator on landings. Personally, I don't find the ailerons to be overly sensitive at all even on high rate, but that elevator sure does have some authority!

John
Old 09-03-2003, 09:31 PM
MoNKEyZQ8
My Feedback: (2)

Is there some type of covering that comes in rolls like that (The highly detailed American flag)?

Its looking really cool..

May recover my extra like that..
Old 09-03-2003, 09:56 PM
WYDAH

Default Termagator's 3D Flag Tutorial.

Hi,

I followed the excellent directions posted by a fellow RC Universe member: Termagator, to make the flag design on my Sig SE shown at the top of this thread. Find it here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...331&forumid=63

Basically you need a roll of white, transparent blue, transparent red, and some grey for the shadow effect. It does look nice on the low fly-by

Have fun..