Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobby Lobby Telemaster 40!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hobby Lobby Telemaster 40!

This time, my daughter will be a lot more hands on for this build!

It will be her baby! I hope I can let her without interfering too much.

The box is a little worse for wear, but the wood is really good!

She really wants Joe Bridi airplanes. I think she wants to please her dad because he is a huge Bridi fan. The Telemaster was a good choice. At least I think.

Her last trainer, the RCM Advanced trainer was WAY too much airplane for her. I think this will be a lot better. We'll see what she thinks.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22364.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1763875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76516.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1763876   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26428.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1763877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62034.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1763878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26685.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1763879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97856.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1763880  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hobby Lobby Telemaster 40!

I soloed with the Sr. a bit bigger but they are all very stable in the air without any surprises. I love the Telemaster series. From the Sr. I went to the GP Up-Roars then I moved onto the Bridi Kaos 60. By the time I got to the Kaos and Mr. Bridi's other designs I was ready for them. Both in building and flying.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM
dmbaerry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where did you get the Kit????
Old 05-19-2012, 05:44 PM
EscapeFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually got it on the bay for $45+ shipping about 2 months ago!

Best money I ever spent! I had the plans and was going to build one from the plans, but this was too good to pass up.

Brian
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
dmbaerry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just looked on hobby lobby and the the telemaster 40 there does not look like the good Ole telemaster.. maybe it is just me and it is the same plane..
Old 05-19-2012, 05:51 PM
mikeh251

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like a good choice to me!!! How old is your daughter? Good luck with the project. the biggest hurdle you face is how to handle yourself and knowing when to "give advice" and when to back off. But you already said that!!! Keep us posted.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 PM
EscapeFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dmbaerry

I just looked on hobby lobby and the the telemaster 40 there does not look like the good Ole telemaster.. maybe it is just me and it is the same plane..
Yeah... I think they tried to keep the outline, but completely re-engineered it. Apparently they think they know better than Joe Bridi. I'll take the Bridi design thank you very much!

Mike-

It is hard to back off. My daughter and I had plans built a Joe Bridi RCM Advanced Trainer from RCM plans last year. It was too much airplane for her. This should be perfect. The other one is a fun airplane though!

Sounds like I'll be mounting an OS .35 up front for my daughter. Greybeard is setting us up!

Ultimately, in the mid '80's I remember seeing the club in Williston, ND fly a Telemaster with a glider release system mounted to the top wing. He had a .60 engine on it and it was a tail dragger. I always wanted to do that. I think it'd be fun to bring up a lot of gliders for other people!

Brian
Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That may have been a SR. Telemaster?? The 40 is a bit small for a Tug but the Sr. is and has been used for glider tow for years and is great at it. My basic instructor used my Sr. as a tug a few times but the release was in the glider.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 AM
EscapeFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Gene!

Nope. It was the 40 Telemaster. The 40 is a big airplane. 73" wingspan and 53" fuse. A lot of wing area.

He had a 10cc engine in it. He had a saddle rubber banded to the top of the wing. They put the glider in the saddle that is strapped on the wing, secured it in the saddle with rubber bands, brought it up to altitude, flipped a switch, and the device released the rubber bands holding the glider in the saddle. He told the glider pilot he was free. The glider pilot would pull up to show the separation. Then he came down with the Telemaster to bring the next one up.

It really looked like a lot of fun and worked flawlessly.

No towing involved.

I'm not a glider pilot, but this would bring my co-operation!

Brian
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM
dmbaerry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am not always conviced newer is better... That Telemaster that you have was very very popular around my old club and got rave reviews. I am sure your daughter and you will enjoy it.. Happy Landings
Dave.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't forget to make the complete template set of it either. I have flown the plane a number of times. There were a couple of older gentelman at my club that flew them. I thought you were talking a TUG or TOW plane. I haven't seen that done with the small TM. Doesn't mean anything though, I have never seen one used as a lifter like you mentioned either, sounds very cool though!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 AM
AERORICH73

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Fellows: I wanted one of these kits, and placed an order for a long time waiting for the kit to get made. Well, haa, haa, they completely rebuilt the kit with laser cut parts, and a lot of verbal advertising in the e-mail answer I received. You really need to sit down to view the asking price they show for the same model. I made it clear that the kit was ok from years past at the reasonable cost, and that I would not be interested in their products any more.

I am a retired aircraft mechanic, and enjoy BUILDING models. There is alway some part of the contruction which does not appear correct to me, and I have the chance to improve the structure. There is no need to make a kit so perfect that it almost assembles itself
without human involvement. I am definitely not interested in electric power systems; so Hobby Lobby does not carry the model inventory that I am interested in purchasing. Log onto their website and check the going price for the kit now.

AERORICH
AMA410664
Old 05-24-2012, 02:23 PM
EscapeFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AERORICH-

I just pm'd you.

Brian
Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM
EscapeFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gene-

Here is exactly what I was talking about! I actually found one on youtube....

Brian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRUAF...eature=related
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM
EscapeFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We started today. This one will be all Ashley! She is doing all the work. We are using the instructions as written, and I am doing some explaining. She is taking over from there. We had a lot of fun tonight!

We stacked the ribs and sanded them to a consistent profile using tape on the outer ribs to maintain the proper profile.

Then we drilled out the push-rod holes. YES! We will be using the bell-crank assembly! (We like 'em old school!)

Then we weighed out the individual ribs and spars. We will be building the left wing heavier to compensate for the muffler and for lateral balance.

The wood is kinda heavy, but I am not too worried about it yet. It is a trainer with a LOT of wing area.

'Till next time, please enjoy these photos:

Brian

500- Internal Server Error AGAIN! You will find this over at RCG in a bit. RCU has really gone to the dogs...
Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 AM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't tried posting a photo at RC group yet but I have sure found a number of old friends from RCU there. That was a big surprise. Still lurking around getting the feel for the site. Some outstanding builders there too. Not sure I want to post my hack jobs or not.
Once you mentioned the piggy back tow I knew what you meant. We had one club member that did it like that years ago. Any towing these days is rare to see where I fly. Most glider people now use an electric motor. I used a 1/2A glow engine back in the day.
I'll look for Ashleys build on RCG and follow it.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Major Blunders

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Brian,
Saw your old post from 2012 and wondering if you still have the extra plans. After an accident, my old Telemaster 40 needed a lot of repairs, and while I'm at it, I thought that I may as well add flaps, use wing bolts instead of the rubber bands, and install a camera. A set of plans would sure come in handy. Would you like to part with the extra set? Mine are long gone.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Marty79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I completed a TeleMaster 40 last fall. My first build after 20+ years away from the hobby. I can say I was not really impressed with the assembly manual. You would think after the length of time this airplane has been in production that they would have the manual perfected. There was a lot of test fitting before assembly. However the laser cut parts are a lot easier to deal with. I also was a little surprised with the price of the kit (much higher than I thought) I fugure being a kit that had been around for so long that it would have been nearly perfected.