Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

the best way to get rid of monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

the best way to get rid of monokote

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 AM
cfijeff22
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the best way to get rid of monokote

Im fiberglassing for the first time and Im going to practice on a sweet stick 60 fuse....but it seems like this stuff does not come off... any ideas
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: the best way to get rid of monokote

Heat usually. Just hit it with your heat gun and peel while warm. I have a plane in need of repairs now and the covering has been on the plane sense the 80s and I can't get it off with heat or acetone? I think they used Balsarite on it or some other product?? Most the time I can get covering off pretty clean just using the heat gun, not this one!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I usually just peal as much off as I can...and a heat gun can work for you...but it will take time to do the work. You can then take MEK or Acetone to remove the stuck color part of the plastic covering. At best its a lousy job to do and it takes time to do. Monokote is the most difficult to remove...at least the old Monokote was. Take your time...and then after, a light sanding with 280 grit sand paper will prep for your next covering.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM
goirish

Seems like the monokote that I remove is at the field. normally about 100' up and the plane in a vertical dive that never pulls out. Monokote comes off in small pieces.[8D][X(]. Just having a little fun guys.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gene, I ALMOST never hav a problem removing old covering but my old Two Meter pattern plane and I had a 1/4 scale CAP that have been a realproblem. The CAP I fnally got the stuff off. I started removing the covering on my Two Meter during the winter, it is so hard to remove I have just put the plane away until I have nothing better to do. Then I have the really thick mystery paint to remove from the glass fuse!!!! I hate repairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 AM
cfijeff22
My Feedback: (4)

thanks guys it seems like when u want it to comes off it does NOT.... and when u Dont  DOES!!!
the little a time is for me