Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pitcairn PCA-2 Autogiro by Whirlybird Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pitcairn PCA-2 Autogiro by Whirlybird Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Pitcairn PCA-2 Autogiro by Whirlybird Aviation

Thanks for the compliment !

It must be satisfying to fly your model in front of a large, appreciative, crowd.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM
jodini
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that the funfly went so well! That's awesome! I'm hoping to fly my PCA-2 at a scale event coming up at the end of Aug.. Hope to turn some heads like you have been!

Keep having fun!
Joe
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

I was going to wait to post some video since I feel I'm really just beginning to tap into what this model is capable of doing, and this video is not the easiest to watch due to shaky camera and no clouds to use for reference, but it looks like it might be a while until I get a chance again, so here's a bit of flying. The wind was gusty and about 15+mph, but the PCA-2 handled it just fine. There is a wing over at about 1:18 and spins at about 2:25. The spins are much tighter than they look on video and drop very slowly. Also exit from the spins is immediate and I'm sure once I have the courage I'll be able to exit them less than 10 ft from the ground. The plane is hovering at around 3 minutes, but without clouds it's impossible to tell.

The video is available in HD if you click on the youtube link:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nquRo-3IO34[/youtube]
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM
smithcreek

Had a nice calm evening so videoed a quick flight. Flying this plane has been a blast, I hope more people consider building one, I can't say enough good things about it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIdC4wNix-o[/youtube]
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
jkpape

I've got one coming. Can't wait to get started on it.:-)
Old 08-25-2012, 06:09 AM
jodini

ORIGINAL: jkpape

I've got one coming. Can't wait to get started on it.:-)
I have it packed up, ready to go! I'll ship it out Monday!
Joe
Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You still have one reserved for me, right??
Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 AM
jkpape

Joe,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the build. I've been cheeking out all the build threads on here & rcgroups. I've been away from R/C for a while flying full scale. I kind of miss the building & flying. My goal is to have it flying next year. I want to be able fly it at our Aviation Awareness Day & Airshow at the Madison Ind Airport next Oct. I got Lewis Patton (Lou KY) to fly his Turbine powered F-15 last year for us. Also, Wayne Mason (Radcliff Ky) was also kind enough to fly his Scale Apachi Heli for us. Both were a big hit. I think the PCA-2 will be too.:-) The Airshow this year is Oct 6th ( Madison Municipal Airport 3919 IMS Lane Madison Ind, 47250) Lewis & Wayne will be back again this year. Lewis is bringing a few more jet guys with him this year. The gates open at 9:00. The Airshow starts at noon. My Tiger Moth will be on display. We've got some good stuff lined up:-)

Hint, Hint, a 1/4 scale PCA-2 would be great, especially with one of the evolution radials on it:-)

Joe Pape
Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 AM
smithcreek

Hey Joe P., I'll be watching for some pictures as you build, looking forward to it! It really does turn some heads when people see it fly. 1/4 scale would be pretty large, 90" wingspan and 110" rotor diameter. A 1/5 scale would be 72" wingspan and about 90" rotor. That would be a nice size, might also require a lot less re-engineering.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
jkpape

Dave, I really enjoyed your build thread. I'm going to follow your lead & keep it simple, with some scale detailing. I'm kind of thinking about painting it up like the Ford Fliver airplane. Blue fuselage with the Ford Script on the sides & silver wings. I would go for a 1/5 scale with a Evolution radial on it:-)

Joe
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 AM
jodini

I'm listening guys.....so 1/5 or 1/4th?

Well holly cow Dave! I haven't gotten my calculator to figure out he sizes of 1/4 but you guys have to be nuts to build it that size! A 90" blade span would be big enough and hopefully wouldn't cause too many issues....hopefully! I'm sure we could figure out how to make it work.

I'll talk to my laser cutter today!
Joe

P.S. I still think you guys are nuts! 72" wing! HA!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 AM
jodini

O.K. Dave....just trying to catch up with your calculations!

So the real PCA-2 had a wingspan of 360 inches and a blade span of 540 inches
Our PCA-2 model has a 60 inch wingspan which makes it 1/6. If you noticed, we kept the blades 3 feet a piece which makes the blade span about 72 -74 inches. Technically the span would be 90" but we fudged the numbers because we have been working with the three feet blades.

IF we decided to do this kit, I think the 1/5th would be ideal. 72 inch wingspan and 90 inch blade span (technically it would be 108" but I wouldn't go there). I think if you thickened the blades a tad and put a stronger wire on the leading edge you could make it happen. Instead of one plate in the middle, make it two 1/16 plates.

1/4 would be HUGE! The PCA-2 was the big daddy of autogyros which is why they didn't sell too many back in the 30's! And that's when the little ones came like the PA-18. The PA-18 is VERY similar to the PCA-2 (they actually swapped parts for the rotor system).

So the question is this for everyone out here....are you looking for a bigger model or do you just want to build 1/4? If you want to build 1/4 then we could create a PA-18 just by changing the nose and tail (everything else is pretty well the same). The PA-18 was only 252" wingspan so 1/4 would be 63" wing! Just something to think about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_PA-18
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 AM
jkpape

Joe, after seeing the numbers, 1/4 scale is a bit on the large side. 1/5 scale would be plenty big enough.:-) The PA-18 would be cool also
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
jodini

Well I discussed it with the laser cutter and we both agreed that it wouldn't be worth the time invested to make all the changes and for me to support two sizes of the same model. Trust me....I would love to see someone try it though. I think it would be cooler to see a PA-18 1/4 scaled though! [8D]
Joe
Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 PM
jkpape

Anything that is scale & not smaller than 1/6 would be interesting:-)
Old 08-28-2012, 04:43 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

Aw, come on guys, Let's go 1/4 scale! bigger is better! I'm getting ready to test fly my 1/6 scale PCA-2. I didn't build it - bought it at an estate sale. The rotor head was missing and I got the required parts from Joe Cole. He offers great service and advice. John R.

www.rcaircraftworks.com
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 AM
jkpape

Just got home from work, & sitting on my back porch was box with a PCA-2 short kit in it:-) Not had time to look though it yet. Thank you Joe for the quick shipment.

Joe Pape
Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM
jodini

Thanks John...your PCA-2 looks great! Let me know if you need any help with CG.

Joseph.....post some pictures of your build here! I know there are a lot of parts, but I think you'll be amazed how fast the PCA-2 goes together...the short kit makes it much easier!

Send me PMs or emails guys. It makes me smile when I see another guy airborn with their autogyro!
You can even call me on my cell:402-651-0415

Joe
Old 08-31-2012, 04:13 AM
jkpape

For those of you who are thinking about ordering a kit, the quality of the wood & laser cutting is excellent. I'm planning to start on mine in the next few days. Thinking of starting a new build thread in the scale airplanes forum. What do you guys think?

Joe Pape
Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 AM
smithcreek

Sounds good! Earlier you said you were going to go simple with some scale detail and I think that is the best way to go. The PCA-2 is so much fun to fly you don't want to ground it because you are worried about all the work you put into detailing it. It flies very well in gusty bumpy wind, much better than any plane twice it's size, so using it for your everyday flier works great. I like the Ford Fliver idea, that will look very nice, and like my RCA Victor scheme it might not be real, but it is period appropriate.

If you do a build thread please update this thread also with a picture now and then.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 AM
jkpape

Dave or Joe,

What type glue did you use for laminating the blades & leading edges of the Horizontal stab? The plans specify gorilla glue, but not which type. I'm guessing that ca would be the best thing to use for leading edge of the horizontal stab. I've had issues with aliphatic resin (wood) glue causing warping in the past. Can't seem to get good CA glue anymore. Nobody sells Zap here anymore, just the rebranded stuff.:-(

Joe Pape
Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 PM
smithcreek

You want to be able to sand the stab LE easily, so I used elmer's carpenter glue, any yellow glue would be fine, watered down a bit. I used epoxy to laminate the blades, I didn't have any gorilla glue around so I put it on very thin and it worked fine.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 PM
jkpape

Thanks Dave, that's what I was thinking. I'm just a little leery of using yellow wood glue. I had issues with warping the last time & everything was weighted down on a flat surface overnight.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM
jkpape

Has anybody tried ordering a Astoflite 710 gearbox lately. I tried ordering one from their website today. I can add it to my cart, but when I go to checkout, all I get is a blank screen. This is not good:-( I'm about ready to start building mine.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM
GB-flyboy

In the process of building a PCA-2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42893.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	1844506  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.