Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bud Nolsen Mr Mulligan

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bud Nolsen Mr Mulligan

Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 PM
moto-x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bud Nolsen Mr Mulligan

Well old man winter is here. It is time to build again. I was at the field this summer when a gentelman pulled in the parking lot and asked if I would be interested in a couple of kits his father had left behind when he passed away. I asked him,well what do you have. He opened the trunk of his car and all I could see were these realy old stained boxes. I took them out to look them over. #1 was a Bud Nolsen 1/4 scale Mr Mulligan. The other was a Jemco 40 size corsair. These kits were from the early seventys. I just had to have them so I asked what did he want for them. His reply was just take them. I don't have any use for them and if you would want to build them, have at it. Well I thanked him over and over again and off he went. I put the kits under my build table for awhile and finally decided I would build the Mulligan. I sold the Corsair to fund the build. I don't have everything for it yet but I'm getting there. I started putting together some of the kit though and here is what I have so far.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM
moto-x

Default RE: Bud Nolsen Mr Mulligan

Well it looks like i will have to resize the pics to get them to load, maybe later
Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
moto-x

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62985.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1094720  
Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM
moto-x

Name:	Ig11895.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1094723  
Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Cloud Cruiser

Wow, That is fortunate for you. I never seem to have those things happen to me at all.
I have always wanted a Mr Mulligan. I will be following your progress.

Robert
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

moto-x .Do a thread search.A while back,well maybe waaaaaaaaaay back there was a build thread called "mister mulligan done rite". Something like that .It was very informative.I have the plans.Going to see if they can be enlarged.I think 1/3 scale would be a nice size
Good luck with your build. stefanP
Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 PM
moto-x

Well I had some time to work on the Mr Mulligan today. If I can get the pics to load I'll share them with you.

Name:	Ol31489.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	1097700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40773.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	1097701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98566.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1097702  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Cloud Cruiser and the OP, me too!

He is lucky. And, like Cloud Cruiser, that stuff never happens to me, but I'm glad that it happened to someone, especially the OP who shared the news of his good fortune with us.

I bought a fellow out of R/C some years ago (decades actually) and sold a barebones Gere Sport Biplane to another friend. He just started up his own full scale airport and didn't have time to build, so he then hired me to cover his Gere Sport and to mount a Quadra Q35 in the nose. That required quite a bit of reengineering, but it was fun to do. The wife and I spent an entire weekend covering the Gere Sport (Nosen) with a dyed fabric covering. We started on Friday after dinner and worked on it every waking minute until Sunday evening. It looked pretty good if I say so myself.

All the while that we were covering the behemoth (108" top wing) Gere Sport, my eyes kept drifting at the sales literature that came with the model showing the Monocoupe. That was the model for me, I had decided. I never did get one. Heck, I never actually saw the Monocoupe in the balsa, so to speak. I have bid on probably half a dozen kits on eBay, but other folks are always willing to pay more than myself. So be it.

I am looking forward to seeing photos of the OP's Monocoupe during construction. Who knows, that may be enough to make me bid more than $200 for the kit.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Cloud Cruiser

Moto-x, great progress. You are doing fine work! I'm reading and watching with anticipation.

Robert
Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Cloud Cruiser

Hi Ed, I once saw a Nosen P-51 at an airshow, must have been early 80's, man that thing was beautiful.
I Know how you feel about the Monocoupe.

Robert
Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 PM
moto-x

Thanks Robert. I'm waiting on some carbon fibre wing tubes for the build. Not a whole lot more I can do until those come. I have to be able to match the cabin sides with the wing ribs. Until I get the tubes I can't drill them all. I"m going to use a 3/4" on the front and a 3/8" on the rear. If I stack the cabin sides and wing ribs together for the right side and tilt them to a 45 degree,clamp them together and drill. I"ll do the same on the left. It sounds like added dehidril but with the weight and length of the wings they will be straight. If I drilled them all straight the wings would droop.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:03 PM
moto-x

I did get some of the older pics resized.

Name:	Xv65769.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1097813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83597.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	1097814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74087.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	1097815  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 PM
moto-x

I had a little more time to put together the rudder and horizontal stab and elevator.

Name:	Nl29451.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1102804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54770.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	1102805  
Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
bob_the_burner

Hi Moto-X, I have just bought the kit that was gathering dust in a model shop. I have ordered a fibreglass cowl for it. Do you have any hints on the build or problems i may come across. thanks btb
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
moto-x

Well Bob, if it is the Bud Nolsen kit the 3 pages of instructions and the full scale plans are all you got to work with. Depending on what you are going to power the plane with and your style of flying you will have choices in how you tite you build to the plans. The plans call for a .060 motor and a gear drive. If you go up in motor size you will need to scale up support things like landing gear, fire wall,tail gear. The dowl pin system that hold on the wing are not to my liking either. I am incorporating wing tubes the run through the cabin and 1.5 feet in to the wing. I have also backed up the second fuse former with ply and will install 6, 1/4 inch dowels in a circular pattern through the firewall and former #1 and 2. I have changed the tail wheel setup also. If you would like to e-mail me for more info, I would be glad to help. Pm me here and give me your e-mail address as I don"t open e-mails from unknown addresses. Good luck with it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
bob_the_burner

Hi. yes it's definately the Bud Nolsen kit.. I have checked the plans and they are the same as what i can see on yours. big box of wood and a couple of bits of metal.. what have i let myself in for. I have pm'd you.. thanks again BTB
Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 PM
moto-x

Yes, It is a big box of wood. Don"t let it scare you though. Once you start laying out pieces and gluing the fuse together you will see it is a fairly straight forward build. Just deviate to incorporate whatever you see fit. That is how we learn. Someone on here at RCU has a signature that is quite relevant to a Bud Nolsen kit. I think it reads something like this , { just glue all the pieces together and sand away everything that doesn"t look like an airplane } Mmm, sounds simple. Wish it was. Well good luck with your kit and I will be watching for your progress.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
slick95

It's nice watching your progress on this build. I am also building this model and was wondering if yours came with a windshield or do you know where to buy one...or how to build one? Can't wait to see more!

SLICK
Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 PM
moto-x

Their should have been a small roll of plastic in the kit to be used for a windshield. Each build might be a little different so they could not standardize one windshield. Once you have the plane framed up you can lay out a pattern with paper and then transfer that to the plastic. If your kit did not have that roll, go to your local hardware store and get a piece of thin lexan. I have seen paint tray liners that you could cut one from also. I have not got that far yet myself on this model but if you look at my models, the royal staggerwing has a paint tray liner windshield. Just cut it to the pattern, glue it in real good and then use your covering heat gun and slowly shrink it up. It will not take much heat to shrink so hit it lightly and back off. If you hit it too much it will pull away from the glue. Trial and error. Hope this helps. I did start laying out the wing ribs and spars on mine tonight. I think I"m going to modify the alirons a bit. Most post I have read state that the plane needs a little help on turns with rudder or elevator so I was thinking of bringing the alirons in one more rib to extend the length by 3 inches but still not take away from the scale look. Maybe a little more surface area will help with aliron turns. Who knows, maybe it will roll a little easyer. I will get some more pic soon. Good luck with your build. Tony
Old 01-15-2009, 06:59 AM
bob_the_burner

Hi Guys, My kit does not have the windsheild either. Moto what undercarraige are you using? I was going to use a 1/4 scale alumin one but was considering a carbon fibre type to reduce the forward weight. A few builds I have read say they are nose heavy and as I am going to use a gas 50 - 65 cc I want to keep it down. All my tail servos are going to be inboard on CG via push rod. I have been reading they put them right at the back showing outward but this will be ugly for the sake of some carbon push rods.Best of luck with the build Slick mines still fire wood at the min untill i clear a couple of builds away and tidy up. I am gonnaneed all the space i can get for this one..
Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 AM
bob_the_burner

Hi Moto. thought you may like to look at this. It's a 52% Rearwin Speedster. Powered by a 125cc Mcculloch. 16ft 6" wing span. 2 recievers double battery back up with all brick servos. The owner Pilot is Doug Rigby one of our LMA pilots. I have had the sticks on this one and flies like a trainer. It would be nicer with a 175cc -200cc but beggers cant be choosers. The flight was filmed at one of our full size airshows but as you will see the weather was real bad. If you look carefully at the ailerons one packs up and he has to land pretty quick. But I had to point that out to you ! it flew just as well. heres the link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0LauHU-l1s0
Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sig carries windshield material that would more than likely work. I purchased several sheets from them for my Nosen kits.
Buy a couple of sheets of different thickness. I use the thicker sheets for the side windows (adds strength and you don't get that "wavy" look) and the thinner sheets for the windshields and anything that needs to bend. I have a thread of in Kit building. It's a Bud Nosen Aeronca Champ. (Do a search on "sebo".) It shows how I go about sizing and cutting the plastic so that you don't waste any plastic. You might be able to use something from it. Just a suggestion.
Ron
Old 01-15-2009, 06:59 PM
moto-x

Nice video of the speedster Bob. Great pics at the end too. Looks like a gental giant just floating around. As far as the gear goes, Not decided yet. I"m going to shop around or make my own.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
slick95

Thanks for the tips!

SLICK
Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
moto-x

Well I found a little more time to work on the Mulligan. I layed out the right wing spars and ribs. Stacked up all the ribs with cabin side and drilled a 3/4 inch hole where the center 3/8 inch dowel pin was to be. As you can see in the pics, I doubled rib 4,5, and 6 with light ply since 1,2, and 3 are ply. This should stiffen the ribs for the 3/4 inch tube I will install for the wing jointer. I also installed a small 3/4 inch guide tube I made from thin plastic to help guide the tube in on assymbly at the feild. { Some day}. If you look at the pic for the alerons you can see I cut the last rib in line with the 1rst rib of aleron. I am going to lengthen the size of the aleron as mentioned before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.