Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Super monokote - not so super anymore

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super monokote - not so super anymore

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 PM
gsheard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super monokote - not so super anymore

I have noticed the new Super Monokote is more difficult to use as well. It is really stretchy and dosen't stay as taunt. I used some old stuff I had and it was totally different then a roll I bought a week ago. All in all it is still a pretty good product. It would be nice if they went back to the old formula but I suppose all things change.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

I TOOK ALL MY MONOKOTE OFF COULD NOT GET IT TO SHRINK> WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY A FEW YRS BACK IT WOULD SEAL TIGHTEN UP LIKE A DRUM
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I recently purchased my first Seagull model after 40 years in the hobby. One of the main selling points was that it was covered with Ultracote. Upon inspection, all the parts had very slight bubbling which was quickly resolved with a heat gun, even on the seams. Now it's perfect. Very nice ARF by the way, a bit on the heavy side, but it's a warbird after all. My Hangar Nine Spitfire was tight as a drum out of the box, and still is, a year later. Ditto on a new Shoestring. In contrast, my Cosmic Wind, Monokote covered, was so bad Tower sent me a new wing and tail set. My GP Ultimate refuses to shrink tight. I have others with Monokote that have been great from day one, and several are over 10 years old. Seems to me it's hit or miss, but if I were buying plastic covering, it would be Ultracote. (Solartex is really the best covering, but it's not plastic, as you all know).
Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about Solarfilm?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Europe still seems to carry matching paint for oracover.

Jim
ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Ultra is Oracover and not from the same place as Mono at all. The problems we have had with Ultra {and Mono} is paint matching. TF made the paint to match Mono but there quality control went south on us and the color match is really hit and miss plus the paint is pretty much crap. So, mono crap with hard to locate color match.
Ultra made a great matching paint for years then quit making the matching paint??
Go figure??
So, once in a while you can find some mono that works very well but the matching paint may {will} be a problem, Ultra works great, doesn't have as many colors to choose from but you will have a heck of a time locating matching paint.
Learn to use Mono?? If you get it to iron down and it won't shrink even with a flame then what's to learn? How to peel and toss?
Mono has a problem, they know about it but refuse to fix it. Users answer is to just use something else. Mono isn't the only game in town.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 PM
GaryHarris

Two words.

Solar Tex.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 PM
T F DAnca

just thought i'd move this one to the top,,,, call and complain

How about this, everyone call cust service at great planes and complain,,,,,, 1-800-637-7660 or 1-217-398-3630

If your in one of those moods and want to leave a nasty voicemail,, here is the place to do it. Grinnns
Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 PM
[email protected]

OI USED MONOKOTE FROM DAY ONE VERY GOOD>> BUT THE LAST YEAR IT HAS BEEN VERY BAD SO NOW I USE ULTRACOKE GOES ON VERY NICE
Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I concur .I was covering my big planes with fabric but had a small 60 size plane and bought monokote and had frustrations covering the plane.I do believe the glue they use now is substantially different.I wont use it either!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I dont know what Eflite uses on their T-34, but I hit it with the heat gun yesterday to get some wrinkles out and it tightened up very nice. Wish the Monojoke would, but on my Kadet, i'm afraid I will put holes in it, seems that just as it begins to tighten up is right where the melting point is.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:21 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I used Monocoat this weekend for the first time in about eight years. Man what a mistake. It refused to shrink. I had to rip the covering off the top of the model and reapply with only marginal improvement. I have Super Decathlon kit that I'm building and had a sizable order from Tower. Although I normaiiy use Ultracoat, I ordered the Monocoat from Tower as a matter of convenience. This has got to be the worst covering I've ever used on any of my kits or plans builds. I'm stuck with the four rolls I bought on this kit but, it won't happen again. I had switched to the Ultracoat due to the deteriorating quality of Monocoat even back then but, the poor quality of the film today is estounding. I don't see how they continue to sell it. All I can say is shame on me for buying it as I had few fellow builders warn me about it. I thought how bad can it be and like I said, bought it due to convenience
and not wanting to place two orders at different places. This is one mistake I won't be repeating.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 AM
[email protected]

I USED MONOKOTE ALL MY LIFE> BUT 2 YRS AGO I GOT 4 ROLLS FROM THE HOBBY SHOP IT DID THE SSAME THING> I USED A HEAT GUN TO REMOVE ONE HALF OF THE WING > TOOK IT BACK TO THE HOBBY SHOP GOT MY MONEY BACK> CALL TOWER AND SEE IF THEY WILL TAKE IT BACK> I BEEN USEING ULTRA COTE IT GOES ON GOOD>
Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 AM
goirish

I only use monokote for windex trim. I use Ulta and Coverite any more.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

heres somethin to really ***** about...in 1968, my dad bought me a lifetime AMA Memebership. Whan I fianly, actualy needed a ama card to fly, in like...."82", the AMA says they have no record that far back! So I have to pay every year! LMFAO. Talk about broke ass fools.....
Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
mikegordon10

And this relates to Super Moneycoat how? I must have missed it. Silly me!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM
bignasdy

oh....the same ole...regime...that lies about everything like "new" monokote. That was my conection.....the people ya have to deal with...same thing
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
GaryHarris

I'm lost.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
goirish

me too
Old 07-19-2012, 12:56 PM
bignasdy

LOL....the guys were saying "nothing is wrong" with monocoat....the users are saying bullchitt...Im callin bullchitt too.......sorry yer lost
Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, I fully understand how the two topics go hand in hand, Mono and the AMA but I'm quite a bit brighter then these other guys!!!![&:] Protest the AMA, don't join and fly from dry lake beds!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:50 PM
mikegordon10

Ya but Gene, is it best to use mono or ultra on those dry lake beds?
And then what do ya do when it rains?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Love To build
My Feedback: (30)

I've used Monokote since 1983. Loved the product. Even gave covering demos at the hobby shop for beginners. Had nothing bad to say even using the chrome version. Todays Monokote is really bad. Stick and shrink wise. I don't know if it is a QC problem , a change in formula, ....etc. I wish they would go back to the original formula. If it is a byproduct gas issue then you use in a well ventilated area and put a warning on the product.

I went to Superkote from Hobby lobby but now that is gone. It was closer to the original super monokote. Ultrakote is fine but the elasticity of the product compared to the Monokote turns me off. Started using silkspan and solartex for my WW1 and fabric style covering with good results.

I've been traveling around and when I find an older hobby shop I'll ask if they have older rolls of monokote. Got some but not in the colors I really need. They tested out to be like the original Monokote.

Don't know what the real story is of why it's changed, but hope the people that be will hear us and maybe give us the product we really want. And yes I would pay more for that product.

Just my 2 cents,

Bill
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

Ya but Gene, is it best to use mono or ultra on those dry lake beds?
And then what do ya do when it rains?
Mike, I refuse to get involved in this mono bashing. When flying from a dry lake bed {it's flooded at the moment!} but when it was raining I just borrowed a cell phone {I won't own one of those either} and called the AMA to make them make it quit!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what all of us really smart free thinkers do!!!
What can I say???
Old 07-20-2012, 05:14 AM
bignasdy

ya know, I bought some a few years ago....I remember doin wingtips for a friend. They just didnt go as smooth as I remembered it being. They looked ...well just okay. Im gonna use ultracote on m next one. Anyone use black baron film? I've used the fabric many many times, but not the film.
d
Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Quigleywins

if they ever fix it will some one let us know. I'd hate to miss it,Till next year when the boys get togher to vent there anger again on MK I will say good by all, Yours Paul T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.