Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

have to share room with WIFE..........

I have a small room in my house wich I use to build and place my planes. My wife wants to scrap book and says I have more then enough room to fit her in. Question at hand I am building my first build and want to know when I down size my table will a 48 x 24 steel folding table be enough to build on. I will be placing a ceiling tile down on top of the table. If any other ideas cross your mind let me know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: have to share room with WIFE..........

Some ideas:

1) Get her a room just for herself.
    2) Find yourself another room.
    3) Run away or divorce.

Now, seriously, when women feel jealous towards a man´s hobby she starts to compete with it. She will either talk you down on your activity or she will start picking on you for no aparent reason. Unless I am wrong and your wife is easy going, find yourself a plan B before you loose your hobby. As as hobby shop owner I have seen women bust a guy´s balls just out of pure jealousy way too many times.

All the best,

Caio.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Divorce is the way to go I know
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let her move in. Once the CA, epoxy and sawdust start flying, your problem will most likely resolve itself. I would think that sawdust would make scrap-booking in the same room very difficult. If it's not working fast enough, get some extra balsa blocks and sand on them like crazy. [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd warn her about the saw dust BEFORE she attemps to move in.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6
    Kadet LT 40 Brotherhood #98

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You will need an addition to your home for your hobby or hers. That may not be a possibility.

24x48 may or may not be big enough. It would not be big enough for me. I am a bit disorganized. My room is about 11 feet by 11 feet and it often seems small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vs55827.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	1770089  
    - Carrell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Take up 1/2A.
    Rich Border AMA 77727
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WIFE? What kind of engine is that?
    I have heard off FIRE (front intake-rear exhaust) RIRE (rear intake-rear exhast).

I don't know what a WIFE engine is but there is always room for one more engine.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

She is NOT gonna like it when you want to sand something or breakout the epoxy. I personnaly like the smell of most epoxies but find most woman freak out everytime I open a bottle to mix some up. At first you may be thinking you'll just sand outside but you'll find that everytime you need to modify a part or make someting fit or complete a step before you can pull a part off the board, going outside "everytime" is gonna' become a royal pain. A shop vac can ease the pain but that thing going on and off may annoy her in short order.

But if she and you talk these things over before hand and she understands, a 48x24 table will work fine. You need some place or maybe a larger put away table to use for setting things up and measuring with the completed assemblies.

Good luck Bro:-)

Mike
    Balsa USA brother #61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vicman

I have heard off FIRE (front intake-rear exhaust) RIRE (rear intake-rear exhast).

I don't know what a WIFE engine is but there is always room for one more engine.
    Haven't you ever heard of WIFE engines??? Wide Intake Fat Exhaust. They found out early on that configuration is much too detrimental to the hobbiest.

I had one once but I wasn't sure which was louder, the intake or exhaust noise...... I tried to jam a muffler in the exhaust but the intake got REALLY loud. In the end it pulled the muffler off and tried to beat me with it. Finally had to divorce myself of it and got a new, young, sleeker FIRE model. Was always too scared of the RIRE models a little to wild of a ride I imagine:-) :-) :-)

Balsa USA brother #61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: optech

Haven't you ever heard of WIFE engines??? Wide Intake Fat Exhaust. They found out early on that configuration is much too detrimental to the hobbiest.

I had one once but I wasn't sure which was louder, the intake or exhaust noise...... I tried to jam a muffler in the exhaust but the intake got REALLY loud. In the end it pulled the muffler off and tried to beat me with it. Finally had to divorce myself of it and got a new, young, sleeker FIRE model. Was always too scared of the RIRE models a little to wild of a ride I imagine:-) :-) :-)

I almost choked to death. That made my day. I was eating watermelon not a good story for the news.

Wife's (3) Hobby (1) still ongoing since 1971. They will learn to adapt or else they're "outa here!"
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990
    RC Pylon Racing, the ultimate thrill, when sex and drugs just taint enough!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wide Intake Fat Exhaust.
    Dang, I didn't see that one coming![X(] Good one
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that is why i am single and loving it dont have to answer to anyone or share my room with  when i get lonely girlfriend comes over then shes goes back to her home

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If your asking the question its already to late, time to send your man card back....
    Dave Bottita
    evoJet Factory Pilot
    Smart-Fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys crack me up!!!

Sounds like you are lucky to have a wife that wants to hang out with ya... Get her set up with a nice little corner unit that will handle her Cricut and other scrapbooky stuff, and you are all set! She may or may not want to be there when the fumes and sawdust are wafting through the room, but at least she'll know you care...

Your building table is fine unless you are going for 1/4 scale or larger... Good luck with your build, I'd stick with an ABC or a ringed engine, the WIFE can be a little touchy unless she's tuned just right!

Build well! Ben
    Club SAITO Member #565
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #20
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #25
    Goldberg Tiger Club #80

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: morgan175

I almost choked to death. Â*That made my day. Â*I was eating watermelon not a good story for the news.

Hehehehe.... Only trying to help and advise. Glad I could spread a little cheer.

Mike
    Balsa USA brother #61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These guys sure talk big with a keyboard in hand while little lady is in the kitchen is probably making you an antifreeze burger.  Have fun as you sit there typing insulting messages about them to your buddies.  Enjoy life when the glaucoma sets in, the balsa glue has worn out and the monokote won't stay ironed on any longer wondering why your last trimester of life is so lonely.  When that little lady has found her a real man that knows the priorities of buidling a long term relationship and placing those priorities in order, you'll be missing that special someone to hold hands with and rock on the porch with as the two of you reminence the good old days.

Married almost 30 years to this wonderful lady that knows my love for this hobby the answer is, wife/relationship first, hobby second.  If you've forgotten the raincoat, it's wife 1, kids 2, hobby (probably never).  

For the guy with one room neediing to share with the spouse, it's called time management.  When she's in there, you watch tv, mow the yard, get on RCU and window shop, change the car oil.  While she's occupying that room, make her a nice cup of tea, take her a little snack, put a flower on her table.  I bet the next time you want to go flying, she'll help load the SUV!  When her favorite reality tv is on and the room is empty, the room is yours.  When the lights go out, you'll have one more day with the only thing in llife that matters.

Enjoy life, it's way to short.   
    Intelligence is similar to a dress code. Dont attend a black tie affair wearing cutoffs and a tank top. Know your facts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

W = When

I = it

F = f**kin'

E = ends.
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

These guys sure talk big with a keyboard in handÂ*while little lady isÂ*in the kitchen is probably makingÂ*you an antifreeze burger.Â* Have fun as you sit there typing insulting messages about them to your buddies.Â*Â*Enjoy lifeÂ*when the glaucoma sets in, the balsa glueÂ*hasÂ*wornÂ*out and the monokote won't stay ironed on any longer wondering why your last trimester of life is so lonely.Â*Â*When that little lady has found her a real man that knows the priorities of buidling a long term relationship andÂ*placing those priorities in order,Â*you'll be missing that specialÂ*someone to hold hands with and rock on the porch withÂ*as the two of youÂ*reminence the good old days.
    Â*Â*
    Married almostÂ*30 years to this wonderful lady that knowsÂ*my love for this hobbyÂ*the answer is, wife/relationship first, hobby second.Â* If you've forgotten the raincoat, it's wife 1, kids 2, hobby (probably never).Â*Â*

For the guy with one room neediing to share with the spouse, it's called time management.Â* When she's in there, you watch tv, mow the yard, get on RCU and window shop, change the car oil.Â*Â*While she's occupying that room, makeÂ*her a nice cup of tea, take her a little snack, put a flower on her table.Â* I bet the next time you want to go flying, she'll help load the SUV!Â*Â*When her favorite reality tv is on and the room is empty, the room is yours.Â* When the lights go out, you'll have one more day with the only thing in llife that matters.

Enjoy life, it's way to short.Â* Â*
    You had to come and blow all the fun with a decent post All the kidding around is fun but you are right. Most men don't realize if they just prioritize right all is good. Sometimes you have to think with a little creativity and learn to pay it forward for the best results in life [8D] Provide whatever your wife needs for her hobby and then some you will be greatly blessed unless her motives are wrong then she needs more than a hobby to take care of that

Now that was hilarious

Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These guys sure talk big with a keyboard in handÂ*while little lady isÂ*in the kitchen is probably makingÂ*you an antifreeze burger.Â* Have fun as you sit there typing insulting messages about them to your buddies.Â*Â*Enjoy lifeÂ*when the glaucoma sets in, the balsa glueÂ*hasÂ*wornÂ*out and the monokote won't stay ironed on any longer wondering why your last trimester of life is so lonely.Â*Â*When that little lady has found her a real man that knows the priorities of buidling a long term relationship andÂ*placing those priorities in order,Â*you'll be missing that specialÂ*someone to hold hands with and rock on the porch withÂ*as the two of youÂ*reminence the good old days.
    Â*Â*
    Married almostÂ*30 years to this wonderful lady that knowsÂ*my love for this hobbyÂ*the answer is, wife/relationship first, hobby second.Â* If you've forgotten the raincoat, it's wife 1, kids 2, hobby (probably never).Â*Â*

For the guy with one room neediing to share with the spouse, it's called time management.Â* When she's in there, you watch tv, mow the yard, get on RCU and window shop, change the car oil.Â*Â*While she's occupying that room, makeÂ*her a nice cup of tea, take her a little snack, put a flower on her table.Â* I bet the next time you want to go flying, she'll help load the SUV!Â*Â*When her favorite reality tv is on and the room is empty, the room is yours.Â* When the lights go out, you'll have one more day with the only thing in llife that matters.

Good point, but while she is in your room and after you make her that cup of tea - go spend some quality time at the Hobby shop and buy more stuff to work on for when you get back into your room....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Â*Â*

+1, couldn't agree more! Congrats on making it 30 years! I've pretty much given up most forms of building since my wife and I had our first child- she needs me upstairs spending time with her and being a father- not down in my man cave building, only occasionally coming topside to eat dinner. I've gone more with RTF stuff just so I can stay flying. (And people wonder why they're so popular these days?) Wouldn't change a thing though, it's just a hobby. As I get older I continue to wind down my level of involvement with R/C to spend more time with my family. I always thought the posts where you see guys getting divorced over model airplanes were really sad, please work hard to not let that happen if you ever think you could be heading that direction.
    The original Tommygun

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I suggest staying very organized while you build.  A messy shop feels much smaller.  All of those little screws and linkages get lost quickly.  Some extra shelves and small bins to keep hardware in will be very helpful.  A 30 dollar mini shop vac will save your marriage.  (and odorless CA)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'd be surprised what you can turn out with a 48" x 24" worksurface.  I built a Contender 60 on a desktop that size.  Treat yourself to an end-grain balsa building board.

Now I have a dozen times that surface area - but nothing that large clear of clutter!

I NEVER begrudge THE ADMIRAL workspace (32 year anniversary last month).  Half the house is hers, after all.  Currently she takes up about a 12' x 12' spot in the cellar with a table, desk,two low dressers and sewing machine stand.  I have four work tables (one a massive oak 8' x 4' table from a railroad station), a table saw with wing (about 3' x 3'), two flat "charging tables" of 48" x 24" each, a free-standing radial arm saw with a table-top.  All on maybe 28' x 14' of floorspace.  I think I made out like a bandit.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast