Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building Enforcer - curious about mods

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building Enforcer - curious about mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 AM
ser00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building Enforcer - curious about mods

Good morning everybody,

I have wanted to build a Balsa USA Enforcer for some time now (have three kits in my collection). I have seen the enforcers that have been converted to ducted fans. Mods on these include extending the nose by 6 inches and moving the CG 1 to 1.5 inches forward. I have also seen some of these ducted fans with canards. I really like the look of the Enforcer with the longer nose and canards. i would like to do this to my Enforcer build but I do not plan on using a ducted fan, but an OS 75ax with a pusher prop. If I were to use the 75ax and extended the nose 6 inches and add canards, do I need to still move the CG 1 to 1.5 inches forward? I do not know if the CG is moved forward because of the weight of the ducted fan in the back or if it is do to aerodynamic forces and increased surface area (more lifting body) due to the six additional inches of fuselage and canards? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments on this.

Happy flying and soft landings!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:01 PM
gerryndennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building Enforcer - curious about mods

Yes, if you add aerodynamic surfaces forward then the balance point will have to move forward too. Use one of the on line calculators to confirm the new position, a blanket 1 to 1.5 inches might be about right, but it might be wrong also. Depends how big your canard is.

Another method is to build a sheet miniature version of your model (12 inch span should do) and test glide and adjust balance with clay ( you will need some 'up' elevator built in, either in the canard or trailing edge of the wing).

Try posting in the aerodynamics forum for further advice.

Good luck,

Dave H
Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building Enforcer - curious about mods

ORIGINAL: ser00
I do not know if the CG is moved forward because of the weight of the ducted fan in the back or if it is do to aerodynamic forces and increased surface area (more lifting body) due to the six additional inches of fuselage and canards?
I agree with previous poster and your modification to the airplane will be correct.

The location of the CG depends on the lifting surfaces (including the canard wing) and their areas and distances between them.
The weight of the ducted fan or your tail engine has no effect over that CG location, only on how much counter weight you will need to add or remove from the nose.

In the sticky forum of the Aerodynamics section you can find an on-line calculator that is specific for canards.
I copy it here as well:

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_canard.htm