Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Next kit suggestion

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Next kit suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:31 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Next kit suggestion

I'm in between builds, finished my Kadet, got the Dewey flying, haven't decided on whether to convert my T-34 to glow, and my P-51 is going to take at least a year to complete the way I have been working on it. Ihave it at my friends house and work on it an hour or two on Tuesday nghts after we are done flying, provided Idont have to make any repairs to my flying planes.

So now trying to decide on a new kit to build at home when I have nothing better to do, or just don't feel like working on house projects. I'm progressing well on my trainers, landings are becoming easier and better every time out, last 4 landings with my LT40 were perfect, right in front of me on the center line, with the engine still running, the 2 before those were perfect landings too, but were dead sticks(funny but my dead stick landings have all been better than powered landings). The 4 landings with my Dewey were nearly perfect, the landings were right on the center line, but two of them resulted in a prop strike, the first one I ran off the edge because I was fumbling with the kill switch, it was also my first landing with it.

So now Im thinking of something with a low wing, maybe along the lines of a T-28, and not sure if I want tricycle gear or tail dragger. The Sig Kadet kit was an easy build, perfect for what I wanted to do, build a plane and get it flying quickly. The P-51 is a highly modded Top Flite GE edition 1/7th scale, full nearly scale retracts(wheels could not get to scale size with th retracts I used), fully functioning wheel doors, fully functioning tail gear, execpt it fold back and not forwards, so not true scale. Dual ailerons, full flaps, Either an A or C model, havent decided yet, DLE20 power, etc. Glass wings and fuse, so it is my long term project. The next kit could be like the Sig or a little more advanced is fine too.

The next build I want is something about .60 to 90 size 4 stroke, low wing, scale like, a bit more of a challenge than a trainer, but not so much that its difficult to fly, be aerobatic, but not extremely fast, but most important, FUN. The big thing will be cost, Isunk a lot into the P-51, so Idont wish to sink a lot into this plane. Iwant to use something like Futaba 3004 servos in it, maybe 3-3 1/2 inch wheels. Should be a kit that contains most of what Ineed hardware wise, dont care if it has wheels or tank, since I have a few of those already, but pushrods, and all the fittings would be nice. Wing size 60-80" would be fine, anything bigger is a pain to transport. Not ready for a Bipe yet, so none of those please. Already have a T-34, so dont need another one, I have a micro t-28, which is fun, but starting to like tail draggers, so maybe a T-6? Iwant to use regular covering like Ultracote, so open rib wings are fine.

So suggestions and links would be highly appreciated, along with low cost reliable 4 stroke motor suggestions that would match well wth the kits would be great. Ideally if I can keep the kit and motor under $300, that would be superb.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:45 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Next kit suggestion

Look at, perhaps, a Four Star 60 from Sig. I had the 4 Star 40 and loved it. I think that the 4*60 with a .61 in it would be a ball to fly. You said that you were looking for a kit, right? I'm pretty sure that these are available from the Sig site www.sigmfg.com.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
wickedpissa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a Sig kit they are great, I had the 4* 40 (RIP) and I loved that thing I am now building a Hog Bipe. The cool thing with a 4*  it is a relatively  quick build and very easily modified air frame that you can have lots of fun flying and building it.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
acdii

I believe the DLE20 would pull that nicely, but its on my long list.  Short list is more along the warbird lines, just not sure whats available.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sig 4 Star 60 for sure!! Full wing or clipped, you'll love it. You may not be able to stay under your $300 budget buying a new 4 stroke and the kit so don't discount using a 2 stroke in it (OS 65AX would be great). I have a modest powered 4 Star 60 with only an OS 60 FP up front but it still performs well. It's one of my 5 favorites.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 AM
bikerbc

Have you looked at the Ultra Sport 60 ? It is a pretty nice plane that could be modified tolook like astand way off mustang . They are a fantastic flyer..You can put retratcs in them , tail dragger , fairly fast easy build..Lots of sanding...Fast but with flaps they land fairly slow..Double tapered wing so it is a lot like a war bird...They suit a two stroke more than a four stroke though , at least in my opinion...Just like a Cub suits a four stroke..You can put whatever you want in it..I put a OSMax 75AX in mine and it is a perfect match and balanced spot on...There is a great build thread on here you could check out..
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I started using the 4*60 to teach building because it is an easier build and a bit easier plane to fly then the Super Sportster but if the SS is still cut in a 60 size kit I will be going back to them. People tend to get tired of flying the 4* too quickly and the SS is a much better stunt plane and not such a floater so someone relitively new to RC learns more with the SS.
The Ultra Sportis another good choice if you would like a pattern type of plane. My next build is the Ultra Sport 1000, the bigger US with an 80 inch wing, no longer cut or sold by GP.
Look around and pick out a nice 60 size plane that you really like! A lot of choices out there.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM
acdii

Man I have done a lot of searching, there are not many kits left out there at all, and most of what are called kits and nothing more than an ARF. Not so surprising though considering they are less expensive than most kits, which makes them easier to sell.
I did some Ebay browsing and saw a lot of plans, and a few laser cut to plans out there, but not sure if I would stick with something like that. If I do go the plans route it would be something like either a P-61 or a B-17, and not ready to go that far into something yet, dont really have the room yet.
OTOH those Bridi kits are drawing me in too. Either the Dirty Birdy or Chaos would work.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
LargeScale88

ORIGINAL: acdii

Man I have done a lot of searching, there are not many kits left out there at all, and most of what are called kits and nothing more than an ARF. Not so surprising though considering they are less expensive than most kits, which makes them easier to sell.
I did some Ebay browsing and saw a lot of plans, and a few laser cut to plans out there, but not sure if I would stick with something like that. If I do go the plans route it would be something like either a P-61 or a B-17, and not ready to go that far into something yet, dont really have the room yet.
OTOH those Bridi kits are drawing me in too. Either the Dirty Birdy or Chaos would work.
Yeah I would stay away from the P-61 and B-17 for now, they are ALOT of work. I've builta B-17, a 2 year project, and not something you whip out over night.

Bridi kits are nice, the dirty birdy is such a smooth flying airplane. GP now has an ARF for the dirty birdy, but you want to build, so don't hesitate on that one.

Jason
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Scirocco14

Look at the SIG Astro Hog. It fits all of your criteria and the kit is available from SIG.

Mark
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
huck1199

+1 on the Sig four star
Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Crash-RCU

Keep checking out plans, thats the future of building. Either design it yourself or build from someone elses plans. You also get the benefit of a large selection of planes to choose from. Find plans you can study before you buy them, that way you can see how hard the build will be so you don't get discouraged because of trying to build somthing above you curent skill level. My first plans built plane was built using only an xacto knife, a coping saw, and a sanding block and different grit sandpaper. The longer you stay in the hobby the more building tools you will get. Have said all this, the 4*60 is a good low wing plane above a trainer. My favorite first plans built is an RCM plan by Fred Reese, the Clould Dancer 60. It is a low wing tail dragger with a 71" wingspan that is easy to build and comes out at about 6lb ready to fly.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: acdii

Blue Jay kits, I can vouch for, both the Kaos and Dirty Birdy, great builds and better flyer's. They are old school building and nothing at all like A SIG or Great Planes kit with photos to guide you through the build. I have been building the Bridi kits for decades and love them. Hard to beat Blue Jay's prices too.
Today at the field oneof my friends scored the old Bridi Dirty Birdy with the glass fuse, how many of those do you still find today.
Kits: Today I came home with an 86 inch Cessna kit by PICA.
I have been holding onto several kits for someone but I really need the room now. Time to clean out my little shop pretty soon.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acdii,

If you still want to go with 4-stroke engine on whatever model, Magnum has their 0.91 4-stroke on sale for $129.00. That's an EXCELLENT PRICE.

An IDEAL price for your budget.

my 0.02.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
DaveB

I agree with Scirocco14; you can't go wrong with the "Astro Hog".

DaveB
Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about the BUSA kits
http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/417.htm
http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/436.htm
I normally don't endorse hobbyking as I find some of their products dubious quality, but I have has many seasons of success with the asp 4 stroke glows, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Engine_.html
Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM
hairy46

Carl Goldberg Tiger 60 look good build great and fly wonderful!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
acdii

I used to build furniture, so I have a ton of tools, bandsaw, scroll saw, table saws, routers, drill press, planers, etc. Building from plans will be easy provided the plans have the rib cross section that I can template.  I have my eye on a Ziroli P-61 plan for $25.  The only thing holding me back is the size, I'm in the middle of making cabinet frames for my den's video shelves, so need the big bench for that.  I also need to flatten the top of it again, it got a little F'd up when the roof in the garage leaked.

I think old school building would be good, I need a challenge now.   I'm thinking the Killer Chaos with retracts would be a good one to build. It's the right size, and with my radios I can set up flaperons to slow it down for landing.  Since I have 2 planes to fly, actually 4 if I count the electrics, Im in no rush to get another one done right away, so I think this may be the one to get, either that or a Corsair, but I would probably go all out on that like I did on the P-51 with scale retracts, and flaps and all that.

Going to check out the Magnums, between those and the Bridi, puts the cost right in the ballpark for plane and engine.  The misc pieces weren't part of the $300 limit. I may put the 3010 servos in this kit instead of 3004 since they are faster.  On my Dewey I have a 3004 on the elevator and a 3010 on the rudder, and that rudder is snappy compared to the elevator.

I have a spare 8 channel RX with either my Futaba or DX8, so just need servos and a pack with switch for the electronics, and if I go with retracts either air or electrics would work, leaning towards electrics, looks like Eflite are good ones for this.  The more I think about it the better it sounds since it would be the next step to scratch building a plane. 

Going to use Ultracote this time around, not too impressed with monokote on the Kadet, it didn't tighten up very well and it has a millisecond from shrink to burn through on some colors.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
J.Paul Saure

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Carl Goldberg Tiger 60 look good build great and fly wonderful!
The Goldberg Tigers fly wonderfully, both the .40 and .60. Tracks smooth and straight!
http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma0968-manual.pdf

It's the logical step from a basic trainer, will build your confidence and skills for more advanced planes later...

I'm sorry all you 4*'ers, but the Tiger is the better flyer!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM
acdii

Even better
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gpma0952.html

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Scirocco14

If you're going "old school", why don't you cover it in silk & dope like they did way back when? It'll look better than plastic film, IMHO, and won't sag in the sun. You won't have seams to worry about pulling away, etc.

When I build my Astro Hog, I'm going to cover it in Koverall and dope. I've done a couple of planes using dope & fabric already and it's not that difficult. And I'm going to put an old school K&B .61 on it too.

Try googling how the control line flyers finish their airplanes. Those planes are gorgeous!

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39408.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1771609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs56973.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1771610  
Old 06-13-2012, 05:57 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not look at the Sig Kougar or the King Kobra? Those are both excellent flying airplanes. They can handle the wind they are tough and durable. The King is the 60 size. I have both and been flying them for years. Actually two Kougars and one King. One electric and the other has a Rossi 45. The King has a Rossi 61 FIRE engine with tuned pipe. Either will accept retracts if you want to add a new skill. These are my "go to" airplanes.

You can't go wrong with them. Fast building, good plans. And great flying planes. I keep spare kits for both under the bed. Just in case.

I prefer them over the 4 star series.

My two cents.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
jquid

I am currently building a TF contender. I plan on putting my Saito .65 in it for power and going to use Sig Koverall. I have done the Koverall on other aircraft and love the old school look and feel. Plus curves come out awesome, no seams to worry about peeling up and color scheme is painted on, so you do not have to worry about cutting out shapes and those peeling. So far it looks to be going together pretty fast, and is supposed to be a great flyer. you can also add a flap to the center for the fun carrier landings.
So check that one as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Wow! I don't think I saw a single post about a Sig Somethin Extra. It is perfect for a .46, but can do a .60 four stroke. Looks real good, can do aerobatics, laser cut kit. Check it out!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Gray Beard

The one plane kit I was wanting from Blue Jay is no longer cut, the Corbin Baby Ace. Cool looking ols style plane and I have everything including the engine for it.
If you are really thinking bigger and up to 80 inches the Big Chaos/Kaos is one of my all time favorites with an 80 inch wing. My last one I used an old RCS 1.40 22cc gasser in and it was a perfect match up. The Killer Bee is another good choice.
As for his 60 size planes my all time favorite is the Bridi Dirty Birdy. I thought it flew better then the Kaos designs.
When you buy builders plans from places like MAN or the AMA they all have the parts in profile unlike most new kit plans.
If you wanted to build the US 1000 PM me and maybe I can be of some help but that too is an 80 inch plane and would love to have a nice 26cc gas engine for power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.