Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Sukhoi

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Sukhoi

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 04:30 AM
HoovDriver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Sukhoi

I was about as close to buying a Hangar 9 Sukhoi ARF as one can get but have since decided not to. There are 2 guys at our club that have them and I just love the lines of the sukhoi, my favorite acro plane ever. A buddy of mine actually added up what it would cost with the kit, engine, batteries, kill, hardware, servoes and the rest of the radio gear and if I bargained it with just mediocre gear I am still looking at $3k roughly. I am still flying my trainer LOL :stupid: and have a Wildstyle I am about to begin building. I really love building things and want to build RC planes badly as I have alot of time and really enjoy working on models and other building projects. I know the hangar 9 would have been WAY too much plane for my 3rd plane and all but I was going to outfit it over the course of 6 months or so and not fly it until I was ready. Anyways I have decided not to step up to that level of plane and Expense but I still want to build a Sukhoi and want something biger than most 40-60 size planes. Had my eye on the Carl Goldberg Sukhoi but have read mixed reviews.

Has Carl G fixed the problem of the landing gear ripping out on anything but a perfect landing? And is there anything else I should know about this kit before I buy and build. Thanks and I am open to other kit suggestions as well.

ZK
Old 09-04-2003, 06:00 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Carl Goldberg Sukhoi

HD:

If you want a large plane to play with, and not too much expense with a 150 to 180 engine, Hangar 9 has just brought out a new version of the UltraStick 120 ARF.

Or if you want to build it, try the "Killer Stick" here:

http://www.ne-aero.com/killerstick.html

Bill.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:49 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Sukhoi

Hello; I built teh Goldberg Suhkio about 4 years ago, ordreed the cool fiberglass cowl and wing cover, then when I built the wing, I couldn't believe the way they asked to mount the gear to the wing. Building stopped at this point, as I have no intention of wasting my time building a plane that will destroy itself on the first bad landing. I bought a new Saito 150 for that plane. I admit it is a beautiful plane but really. I suppose I will eventually finish it up, but not with that stupid undercarriage setup.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:16 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

DD:

If memory serves, an adequate reinforcement for the gear mounting on the Sukhoi is a pair of basswood beams, roughly 1/4" x 3/8" running from the firewall to the front wing mount. You have to cut the holes to run them through.

Bill.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Steve Campbell2

I'm still looking for a NIB kit of the second generation of this model. I will post that Wanted query when/if I can; waiting on a response from the "suits"...

Steve
Old 09-09-2003, 06:48 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 100 flights (1.5 seasons) on a CG Sukhoi. It has wing mounted gear. The 1/4-20 nylon gear bolts broke one time during a perfect landing. I never checked the bolts and they were probably already damaged.

The gear will not break off on the first hard landing. I know, because half of my landings are hard. Just use good building techniques and a wide piece of fiberglass.

I really see no reason to gumble about this kit. I think it's excellent. You'll need a 1.20 two stroke or 1.80 four stroke minimum. The OS 1.60FX would be perfect.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:38 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

I loved my CG Sukhoi until it met it's demise three weeks ago. With some common sense reinforcement....the landing gear on the wing is no problem. Unfortunately......the new saying around the field is.....Sukhoi is Russian for lawn dart. That's haw hard she hit. It's rebuildable....but it would be a big job.

Neo
Old 09-10-2003, 12:20 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Loved mine.. but ripped the LG out of the wing about 4 times. I'm going to rebuild that section of the wing this winter and recover it... Cowels and bellypans are expensive after a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I modified mine to have a 1/4"x2 1/2" block glued to that section, and it still ripped out with more mods.. All of my problems stemmed from low level flameouts that would rip the LG out of anything anyway.... moving fast, and having the LG catch in the deep grass, or run off the runway after a flameout on a low pass.

Nice flying planes though!
Old 09-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Nuker

I got my kit this spring when they finally started shipping again. The wheels are mounted on the fuse now, not the wing. It's one of my winter projects as I had too many things on the fly earlier this year and I had ordered it and waited about 5 months so started other things.

The examined the kit and was pleased with the laser cutting and the quality of the wood.

Just an fyi

Bob
Old 09-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I built the Goldberg sukhoi about two years ago. My kit had the fiberglass cowl and belly pan. The gear is mounted to the fuselage. I have a YS 120 in it and it flies great. No bad habbits and is very easy to land.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:39 AM
HoovDriver
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like this is the Sukhoi i will be getting, thanks for all the info all.

ZK
Old 09-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Steve Campbell2

Well, no luck so far locating a NIB "old" Goldberg kit with the fuse-mounted gear.

Nuker's comments are encouraging, so I suppose I'll try a "new" Lanier/CG kit when I'm ready.

Anyone know what kind of resin (epoxy or polyester) Stan's Fibretech uses in their aftermarket parts?

Steve
Old 09-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Azcat59

Stan's fiberglass cowls and parts are made of epoxy resin. I have bought a bunch of them over the past years, all high quality.

Clair Sieverling
Old 09-13-2003, 07:26 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

The fuse mounted gear is the new design. The wing mounted gear is the old design per post 12.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Steve Campbell2

<<...The wing mounted gear is the old design...>>

I know. What I was referring to was a new updated gear-on-the-fuselage design kitted by Goldberg when it was still Goldberg, with die-cut wood and the SpectraGlas cowl/belly pan.

The "new" Lanier offering is laser cut and has that miserable flimsy ABS cowl/belly pan. I have nothing against laser cutting, but a friend recently built the Lanier/Goldberg Anniversary Cub that Lanier converted to laser-cut from die-cut, and he said a lot of parts didn't fit worth a darn.

<<...Stan's...epoxy...>>

Thanks, Clair.

Steve