Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Cub Kit...L4 Conversion

Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 AM
Paulson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Goldberg Cub Kit...L4 Conversion

Hi all!

I have been staring at a cub kit I bought a few months ago and was about to start but ran short on time, so its sits there awaiting. It was my goal to make the project an L4 after looking at it. Has anyone done this before?? By L4 I am talking about making the greenhouse in the fuselage and on the wing. It looks like a challenge for sure, but I am ready to take it on. I am also looking to hide all the servos, and make it as real as I can get (still not sure about the interior though). Anyhow, I am just starting this thread for purpose of discussion and to see if anyone has done what Im looking to do. My first step is to remake the cabin and required doublers and bulkheads if nessecary. Its going to be tough though, I cant sacrifice too much on support and alot of thinking ahead will be required to mount the wing and come up with a design that holds it securly.

...Inspiration for this project is that I'm a pilot myself, and a friend of mine (who lets me fly his Cub) is restoring/building an L4 as I write this. I have access to origional WWII OD paint and he has mixed a good match for the green camo. He has also done extensive research on markings for a few particular units, what I will probably do is try to copy whatever markings he puts on it (I might add nose art, thats wayy to far ahead).

Thanks for any help and I will post my progress, it will be slow coming though! I want to plan this pretty well before I screw myself and have, well, a horrible looking L4.

Thanks

Paul
Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 AM
Top_Gunn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Goldberg Cub Kit...L4 Conversion

I built a Goldberg Cub years ago and enjoyed flying it. It's a nice plane, but it is very far from being scale. It's only a slight exaggeration to say that if it didn't have a decal that says "Cub" you wouldn't be able to guess what it was supposed to be. If you're going to do a lot of work to convert a Cub to an L-4, why not start with a kit that really is a Cub, like Sig's, for instance?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Paulson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good point, I will look into that. Sigs Cub looks far more realistic and I can see my ideas on it already. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the search engine on RCU is working use it, the L4 has been done a bunch of times with build threads. I think there was one here just this month? I see it pop up all the time.
I just typed in L4 CUB and got 30 threads. The engine is at the bottom of the page.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM
stang151

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scale R/C Modeler did an article MANY years ago to do just the conversion. Used brass tube to tie the cut out fuse. area to the wing mount. Built two of them loved the way they flew.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 PM
N1EDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If someone could give me an issue number/info of that conversion article, I might have it in my stash and could copy it for you... I've always wanted an L-4 myself.

Has anyone seen a Sig Cub anywhere but on its website? I've heard that it's a good kit but the larger ones (1/5 and 1/4 scale) are a bit pricey at $200+. Does anyone else out there have them at a more discounted price?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 AM
stang151

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The article is in the March 1989 issue of Scale R/C Modeler. It was my first powered plane , and was a great trainer.

Search this Thread