Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

If you remember an issue or two back from the AMA magazine the son of the owner of Hobby Lobby went to work for Sig. His dad wanted him to take over Hobby Lobby but I guess he saw a better future running Sig. I really don't think you have to worry about Sig going under or selling out. AndI agree they make some of the best kits with the best flying planes. I hope to pick up a Seniorita, An LT-25 and maybe an LT-40. I am sort of on a kit stocking spree right now. I have 4 kits in the attic now. I like Sig kits. A Senior or Seniorita looks like a big box of sticks but once you get them going they build pretty fast. ARFs are nice but I prefer to build.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I saw something in the latest AMA mag about SIg stocking up on kits and ARFs.  That would be great that they bring back all their kits.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just reviewed the Sig site again today and it looks like their inventory doubled in the last week
Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I wish they would bring back some of their long-discontinued kits.

The Yak 18-P comes to mind as my #1 choice...

Bill S.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
stroker280
My Feedback: (3)

Just got my 1/4 scale J3 in from Sig. Been wanting to build one for years. Got a 160 twin to put on it and some good threads here on the board to follow for the build. Going to be my over the winter project. Got four or five other Sig planes out in the shop I've bought and built over the years. I think I might still have a old Sig catalog from back in the eighties laying around somewhere.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just contributed some more. I ordered a Four Star 20.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Some may not be aware, but SIG seems to be selling some of the hard to find brands from their web site. Just ordered a Kavan starter from them that i couldn't find anywhere else.

They really do need to improve the ordering experience from their website or find more retail outlets.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They also need to bring back the origanl Kadet not the mark one u dont need ailerons to learn how to fly. Michael J
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I too made a contribution last weekend..... ordered a 4*40 for my first kit build.  No telling when I'll get around to starting it, but I'll have it when I get there....   
Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 PM
wallace.tharp

Anybody got a Sig P-51B ARF for sale, NIB or assembled & in AZ? I want a 2nd one to electrfy...Wallace Tharp
Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 PM
WacoOne

I have built many Sig kits over the years. Trained on a 3-channel Kadet and another high wing I can't remember the name of. 2 Kougars and 2 King Kobras, my favorites. Both KKs with mechanical retracts, one with a Webra speed .61 with dynamix carb...A Rocket!! The other a 20 year old one with an OS .61FX, also great. Just lost that one the other day due to my stupidity. I am ordering another one. Greatest flying airplane in my 35+ years experience. More recently the XS300, Mayhem and the Waco SRE. I was not able to get the yellow Sig Aerocote from Sig for repairs on the SRE last year although I did get a replacement for a defective bottom wing for it.

Bill
Waco Brotherhood #21
Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Lamoilleriver

ORIGINAL: mkjohnston

They also need to bring back the origanl Kadet not the mark one u dont need ailerons to learn how to fly. Michael J
Old School, I like that! Started with a 3-channel Kadet and moved up to a 3-channel SIG Super Sport with the 48" foam wings.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Bill-DER

Hello, Isawa post tonight that you made last year, I was looking for a cowl to my sig sundancer. Todays pilots don't build, or not with wood. You are SO right.That is all I do, love to build from kit and scratch. I build so much, I don't have time to fly.
Bill

Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I love building Sig kits, I have built their 1/4 CW Cub and am now in the process of completing a vintage Sig Ryan ST-A. I have even purchased my next Sig kit (1/4 Spacewalker) which I will start after completing my Ryan! Great kits, good instructions and good fitting parts = enjoyable builds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96433.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1855647  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 AM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking Ryan! Is that sig koverall and what will be under the hood?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 AM
VincentJ

Thanks dodgers72. I covered it in natural Solartex which will get painted.The fuse has beensheeted andglassed. I fit a DLE-20 under the hood without any cutting of the cowl. If you or others are interested youcan check out theprogress on my build thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: mkjohnston

I agree and I also wish they would bring back the Mustang 450.

Bob
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 AM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VJ, great build thread! I'm subscribed. I read through 5-6 pages and couldn't resist to see your current progress. Wonderful detail you've put in so far. I can't wait to see the rest of your build! Your skill and patience is envied!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 AM
VincentJ

Thanks, and welcome aboard!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So... does anyone know what's up with Sig? Do the current owners plan to ramp up again (i.e., offer their superlative ARFs; I'd give a lot for a pristine NIB Somethin' Extra ARF), or just sell some wood, a few kits and accessories, etc.?

Twin Flyer, I spoke with a tech there once, way back before the Australian guy bought them. I asked him about that Yak 18 kit specifically. He said they would have to re-tool, as the tooling was worn out. He further stated that, given the cost involved to do so, I shouldn't hold my breath...

Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
GaryHarris

Sig seems to be doing fine.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

I did my part. I just received my Astro Hog from Hobby Horse. The Hog Bipe is one of the best engineered kits of all time. Once stock of the Smith Miniplane is back I will be getting one of these again too. I have built and flown a SIG P-51, Smith MiniPlane, and a Hog Bipe. Now I have an Astro Hog to build.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

These are the kinds of businesses that are being killed by the cheap chinese labor. It is all going to come back and bite us in the ass in the end.

Jeff Foley
Product Engineer, Sig Mfg. 1976-1978

You are right on this remark for but it has allready bitten us in the ass, along with Europe..
There is no way America or Europe can compete with china because we can't live on $30 a month as they can, plus there are 1.7 billon of them so it wont ever even out before they own the USA which will happen unless this trend is stopped.

I used to work with a couple of engineers some years ago ,I was a tech then, who said cheap labor would only effect non-proffesional types, then the Company we worked at set up an R&D dept in china, they where surprized to say the least, not mention very anger, cause they thought they where safe..

Yes, Sig has been a great company and I hope they can hold on and stay in buisness.. I,ve built several of thier kits in the past and still buy alot of supplies from them..

Happy landings to ya,

I have'nt built any kits of late because I mostly plans build myself..
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know who is behind this website but it would appear they are promoting SIG is a bit way.

http://www.sigplanes.com/

Living only 60 miles away from SIG and having known most of the people there over the years, SIG has played a major role in my RC hobby life, development and history. I owe them quite a bit and regardless of the ownership, I wish them only the best.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM
JohnB96041

Count me in. I fly, as one of my favorite models, the Sig Somethin' Extra with a Saito .82a with Spektrum DX7 radio equipment. Love that little airplane. It flys with the greatest of ease and has been doing so for about 7 years now. Will order another as soon as possible, just to have one on hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.