Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 PM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Nice hog Carrellh!! I can't argue with what you've said at all. I really believe Sig would rather sell nothing then to sell junk. With the market the way it is (arfs) how long can they continue with so few of them available?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM
dodgers72

I really started this thread to let the people who aren't familiar with Sig to get a taste of what builder friendly and flyer friendly alot of sig kits are. Top Flite warbirds aren't hard to build but do take some time,effort and some persistence where some of the sig kits go together in a few weekends and also fly great. That is what I'm wanting anyone with sig experience to transmit here. I've built my share of arfs but there is some thing about the process of taking a box of wood,metal,plastic and transforming it into some thing that takes flight. Hey I know it's not for everyone,but for those that are tempted to build their first kit sig has some of the easiest to build and durable kits out there. And we all know if its built right it will far out last any arf sold even a sig arf.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love them "builders kits" from SIG. 4*40 years ago, a Smith Mini on the board rite now, with a 4*60 and a 1\3 Spacewalker in the wings just a waitin'.

Surley hope they find the rite mix to stik around for a good long time yet.

T-man49 in Al
Saito 723
Spitfire 19
Old 07-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Gypsy56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered two new kits from Sig this month (4*40 and Something Extra). Been building Sig kits since the mid seventies and I can't imagine not having Sig to turn to. One of my favorite (and almost forgotten) Sig kits is the Kavalier. This thing is built like a tank and flies so sweet!! I believe if they lazer cut the Kav and gave it a fresh face for the box photo, it would become one of their biggest sellers. I've built more Sig kits than any other brand in my nearly 40 years of flying. For you guys who are strict ARFers, you need to do yourself a favor and build something like a 4*40. You will be hooked. Building is a hobby within the hobby. You can't understand the pride until you solo your first build!

Ed
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM
dodgers72

Ed I couldn't agree more!! I've got a few .40 size engines laying around do you think a rossi .45 aero or a .46ax and a .40 la which do you think would suit the kavalier the best?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM
tms261

My first kit and plane I learned to fly with(Long time ago.....), was a Goldberg Falcon 56. BUT, my 2nd plane was a Sig Kougar. Covered and K&B epoxy paint. It was nearly indestructible. Another Kougar after that one and got years on that one too. Then a Kadet to relax with and a Kobra. Good solid kits and good flyers. If I thought it would help save Sig, (if they are in trouble), I would buy the big Spacewalker kit. Even though, I don't know when I would build it!

I see most or all of you that have chimed in are kit builders. I was too for a long time and would not fly anything I didnt build. But, I'm afraid now that part of what may be wrong is not enough kit builders left. I hope what Ken heard was right, and that Sig is just hunting for a decent builder for their ARF's. The big 4* would be nice I think. Everything I've ever gotten from Sig was great.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:12 PM
GaryHarris

I can't remember how many Sig kits I have built, but I remember of 3 LT 40s, 1 four star 40, LT 25 and I'm on my 2nd four star 60 on the board right now. Think Ill order a Midstar just because. [8D]
Old 07-22-2012, 02:14 PM
oliveDrab

1. Sig Kadet Sr.
2. 4-Star 60
3. 4-Star 120
4. King Kobra
5. King Kobra
6. King Kobra

SIG Rocks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35245.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1784525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47765.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1784526  
Old 07-22-2012, 02:16 PM
tms261

Ed you said it with the laser cutting. I won't forget how much fun it was cutting 1/4 in hard balsa with an X'ACTO knife. But 30 years ago thats all I had! Thankfully the two Kougars I cut next with a bandsaw. Building is not for everybody I guess, but I enjoy cutting, carving and gluing. Also, it feels different when you are flying something that you built yourself. I like my big ARF's too.... but wish I had more time to build. Wish SIG still had Core Bond glue for foam wings!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM
FreakyDude

and below is the gospel, you want to save the company give them some business or just send them 5 bucks.
ORIGINAL: dodgers72

I can't speak for others but I for one am always looking at/day dreaming about my next project! It seems to me all we have to do to secure Sig is for all of us kit builders and also the people who've wanted to build a kit to place an order. Their kit prices start at less than $50.00 and don't go above $279.99. I think I'll pull my trigger on a 4 star 120. how about anyone else.

I'll skip a couple of fast food dinners for the family see whats already in the freezer and fire up the grill a few more times,that should be plenty to afford the 4 star.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dodgers72

Hey Al. Just checked out your blog its cool! WWII planes are what really fueled my passion for planes and rc flight. I too wasn't able to afford to be involved in this great hobby until I was more established financially. The p-47 looks great by the way.

Have you ever built any Sig kits?
Thanks doggers.

I have a Sig LT-40 kit that Istarted working on some time back but lost interest in as Imoved onto scale projects like the P-47. An LT-40 built by a club member was the plane I started training on a few years back.I hope some day to be able to return that favor, so I'll definately finish it off. Although not a scale kit, I've had my eye on the Hog Bipe for some time now and will definately add that to my "hanger".

It's been a while since I've posted to my blog. This past year I've been traveling 3 out 4 weeks for work, so I have had very little time for the hobby. I have been living vicariously through forum postings watching others build and fly from my hotel rooms!

Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

My Sig Senior Kadet ARF was my BEST flying bird ever. still regret selling it when i started getting into electrics. looking at the Rascal 110...Hard. thats why i am SigMan.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Gypsy56

Dodgers72,
Use the 45 or 46 on the Kavalier.
The O.S. LA 40 is a bit anemic for an airplane capable of doing what the Kavalier can do.

Ed
Old 07-22-2012, 02:30 PM
t6racer

I have built the Sig 4 star 40, 60 & 120 the 1/4 scale cub, I'm not a scratch builder but I love building kits, it would be a great shame if Sig were bought up or disappeared.
They are a great building kit, they put a lot of thought into their product for us balsa junkies.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM
ABORH

Sundancer 50 ARF is a beautiful plane. It flies great with a YS 63. The Kiwi was the first kit I had done in many years. It was a very straight forward build and flies well with an OS .40 LA. The profile Ultrasport also went together easily and flies very well. I bought a Hog biplaine and a Kobra kit to build. Needless to say I have enjoyed all of the SIG planes I have flown. It would be a significant loss if these kits disappeared. I am happy to hear they are recovering.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM
dodgers72

oliveDrab: Love! the king kobra scheme. Are those retract on it? Looks like it'll be fast. Whats gonna be under the hood?

aymodeler:I definitely understand your time restraints. Mine aren't as extensive as yours but glad to hear you can fill the void here on RCU. With warbirds its tough to draw the line between perfection and good enough at least on my board it is.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
dodgers72

If there is anyone reading this thread that has never built a kit or that hasn't built a sig kit by all means chime in there are some very experienced,seasoned builders and flyers in this thread. And for all the people that have or have had sigs of any sort do the same and add some pics and video while your at it. I've always felt that sig has produced some of the best flying planes because that was their intention' make great flying planes first and then the dollars will take care of them selves. Lets show everyone what we think of their products!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:30 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

I have been flying my Sig King Kobra for over 12 years now, it is without a doubt the best flying plane I have ever owned. It never gets old with an OS 61 and springair retracts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85032.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1784558   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43047.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1784559  
Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM
fix-n-fly

The first Sig plane I ever built was a Sig Kougar. Too much plane for a newbie (thought my years of controline would prepare me for RC - a bad decision) and planted it in the ground on the third flight. I built a Sig Senior Kadet and swore because of the work involved I'd never build another Sig kit until I flew it and fell in love. However, I learned the hard way never to trust office supply #64 rubber bands as they quickly left me with a lawn dart (wing detached from fusalage). I then built a LT-40 and that was a great build. I built a LT-25 and that was even better! I have about seven different Sig kits now and between those and Goldberg - that is really all I like to build. Good wood, great instructions, good flyers. Would buy more but I have more than I can handle low.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 PM
dodgers72

After reading through the posts I can't decide which kit to buy. These are the engines I have at my disposal. Which kit should I get?

Rossi 45
OS 46 ax
OS 40 la
OS 61 fx
Super Tigre 90
Super Tigre 2300
DLE 30
Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talked to the SIG guys at the Toledo show last year and the year before about the possibility of the 4*40 arf coming back. Both times they assured me it was coming back soon. This year I didn't bother to ask.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've built a Mid-Star 40 as a second airplane and it has served me well for many years. Very rugged and a nice flyer too. I've also build the Kobra and it was a little hot rod with an OS Max 35 engine in it. It would roll straight as a arrow. The guy I sold it to still has it and can't stop talking about how great it flies.

Makes me wish I hadn't sold it. At least I have a Kougar, King Kobra and a Somthin Extra in my stash of kits. May have to get a Sig Cub one of these days.

Dodgers, I would recommend a Kougar or King Kobra.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

I have built a lot of SIG kits and love them all. I have or did have , four star 40, Smith Miniplane, Somethin' extra, Kavalier, LT-25, Hog Bipe, Astro hog, the 71'' Piper Cub, the Midstar 40 and Demoiselle.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 PM
dodgers72

I think alot of modelers that don't build kits could be intimidated by the covering. I personally don't like/am not good at monokote so after my first time using it I've switched to sig koverall and dope. It is really easy to work with and with a little more time sanding and then painting the models look great. To keep things lighter I covered only the open structures on my planes and just primed sanded and painted on straight balsa on the other areas with great success.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:43 PM
bouncebouncecrunch

Sig Wonder 049-15 size,  kadet jr 10-15 size, I think it is called the seniorita now, Just bought and started Sig 1/6th cub and when the bank account grows again other Sig kit King Kobra.
We need these guys to stay in business as there aren't many balsa kits left on the shelf anymore so the building and repair skills will go with kit manufacturers Im in oz and we are seeing bigger bigger in size and more prefab but my local hobby store has about 10 sig kits sitting there so i hope i can get through most before they become collectors items.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.