Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Art O'Bryant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a SiG Cadet almost ready to cover. I'm installing a .46 size electric motor. Love the Sig kits. I've built CG kits. Didn't like the way are put together. However, the planes flew very well. My first RC model was a Falcon Jr. Used a .049 engine. Built the transmitter from a kit. Just to prove it could be done I built the receiver using a 250 w iron.. I let each item stick thru the circuit board. Tined the tip of the lead thru the board. Let the iron tuch the end of each lead with the iron while holding the solder at the board, removing the iron just as the solder melted.Flew this plane for about 10 years, then gave it to my brother. Let keek SIG afloat!!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:44 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A great and friendly company. Many years ago, I built their control-line Banshee only I put RC gear in it. I put the receiver, and standard size ailerons, and elevator servos in the fat wing and put a tired racing 40 with tuned pipe on it. It had no landing gear, I just revved up the engine and dropped it. 0 to 100 in several seconds. Flew the heck out of the SIG kit. May try to do it again with the smaller RC gear we have today. Chic
Old 01-30-2014, 03:47 AM
rcflyer60
My Feedback: (15)

I have been building and flying for over 40 years. Recently had the urge to go back and build plane that I loved in 82. It was a Hummer that I raced-- just loved that plane and quick as stink. I called Sig and purchased a kit for $43.00 (?) and had a ball building it. Did this one electric and it came out 20oz. - right on. That lit the fire and I have a 4 Star 60 on the bench now. I have never built a full on lazer cut kit before ( I like to scratch build ) and this is a very different good expierence. I have the fuse finished as of yesterday and cant wait to get to the wing. These lazer cut kits would be a great way for a first time builder to go.
Also, during the Hummer build I became allergic to regular CA - do you believe it after more than 40 years !! any way I am using a lot of Super Phatic alphiatic resin glue and I really like it. You can speed drying by using a hair dryer to evaporate the water in the glue. Results are quick and strong and no horrific sinus damage.I am doing tacking with the foam safe med CA and having no trouble there. Like the "Gold" stuff best.
If you have never had a Hummer, build one ! Use 4 micro servos and make it full on 4 channel using one servo for each aileron. Add a rudder ( kit does not use one ) and a steerable 1/2 A tail wheel from DuBro and this little low wing plane gets really cool.
I cant count all of the Sig kits that I have built over the years. This is a top notch company that deserved and has earned your support.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 AM
Robin A

I have built a Sig Senioita and have a 4 Star 40 on my bench now.Great kits and prices.
They will be getting a lot of my business....................Robin
Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The great thing about SIG is you get what you pay for. I like to purchase accessories and not just kits. For example I use the DuBro Fueler on all my airplanes and SIG makes a preformed and drilled bracket for this fueler. The other day I wanted a piano wire link for twin elevators with the horn already attached, I got it from SIG. The best way to keep SIG around is purchase from them so don't forget to look for other things besides just kits and ARFs on their website. I know from experience on some of their kits they offer a package of the additional items to complete their kits, some even have the fuel tank. Why not show your support by purchasing one when you buy your next SIG kit?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 AM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by Eaglepilot2
Have a question for the more experienced builders. I have two older Astro hogs that I would like to renovate but I'm having a terrible time removing the old covering. One looks to be covered in monokote and is so brittle it's just coming off in small bits. The other one looks like some kind of fabric, maybe coverite or coverall, and although it peeled away ok, it left all the color on the wood?? Does anyone have any ideas as to how to remove these covering issues?
Have you tried heat? I usually heat it up and scrape/sand it off. Don't worry so much about the color as long as the surface is smooth. Maybe a combo of heat and the other fellows tape trick
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Just in case some of you may not be aware there is also a SIG Brotherhood now: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...otherhood.html
Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglepilot2
Have a question for the more experienced builders. I have two older Astro hogs that I would like to renovate but I'm having a terrible time removing the old covering. One looks to be covered in monokote and is so brittle it's just coming off in small bits. The other one looks like some kind of fabric, maybe coverite or coverall, and although it peeled away ok, it left all the color on the wood?? Does anyone have any ideas as to how to remove these covering issues?
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Have you tried heat? I usually heat it up and scrape/sand it off. Don't worry so much about the color as long as the surface is smooth. Maybe a combo of heat and the other fellows tape trick
Maybe some acetone after heat/scraping?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Robert Gelina

Don't worry! They have!! The new things that are yet to come from SIG are OUTSTANDING TO SAY THE LEAST! Just wait and see! I no, I have seen it all!!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Bobs Hobby Barn
Don't worry! They have!! The new things that are yet to come from SIG are OUTSTANDING TO SAY THE LEAST! Just wait and see! I no, I have seen it all!!

I just discovered the SIG Rascal 110 & I have to have one. It is everthing the Sr Telemaster is plus better aerobatics, aerodynamis & drop dead gorgeous looks..
Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 AM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I just discovered the SIG Rascal 110 & I have to have one. It is everthing the Sr Telemaster is plus better aerobatics, aerodynamis & drop dead gorgeous looks..
I know. I been eyeballing that myself. Someone gave me the little E-rascal, and it quickly became my favorite E-flyer.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:12 AM
hobbinr
My Feedback: (9)

Sig is a great company. Built several Kougars, several Kobras and many others. Converted a sig Kobra to electric from the box and it is a rocket.....
Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Here is what I have flying. I take these two where ever I go to fly. I have a couple others I fly, but these are the two that get the most air time.

This year the 1/5th Cub will join them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	998828_566282456747226_749078201_n.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1963651   Click image for larger version

Name:	1501592_662090783833059_2068988619_o.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1963652  
Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by acdii
Here is what I have flying. I take these two where ever I go to fly. I have a couple others I fly, but these are the two that get the most air time.

This year the 1/5th Cub will join them.
Dude, you need to check your "SIG Brotherhood" thread. You are WAY behind on the membership roster.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...l#post11724267

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-30-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:52 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with OKCFlyer on buying accesories from Sig as well. They have a lot to offer. And don't forget about that great quality Sig balsa. They stock about every size known to man and it's top quality.

The catalog has shrunk quite a bit in size over the years, but it's still got a lot to offer. I remember back in the 1980's you could pretty much buy anything and everything from them, whether they manufactured it themselves or it was made by another company.

Order a catalog and take a look, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Live Wire

Dude, you need to check your "SIG Brotherhood" thread. You are WAY behind on the membership roster.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...l#post11724267
He will check it! he has it where you can add your own name and number if you wish.
Larry K
Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by bchapman
I agree with OKCFlyer on buying accesories from Sig as well. They have a lot to offer. And don't forget about that great quality Sig balsa. They stock about every size known to man and it's top quality.

The catalog has shrunk quite a bit in size over the years, but it's still got a lot to offer. I remember back in the 1980's you could pretty much buy anything and everything from them, whether they manufactured it themselves or it was made by another company.

Order a catalog and take a look, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Why order the catalog? You can download all 118 beautiful pages in full color as a pdf from the SIG website (I know I just did it). You can also get a 12 page balsa catalog which is also contained in the big catalog.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
bchapman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Why order the catalog? You can download all 118 beautiful pages in full color as a pdf from the SIG website (I know I just did it). You can also get a 12 page balsa catalog which is also contained in the big catalog.
I guess I'm kind of old school with regard to the catalogs. I like having the actual catalog. I tend to miss things if I'm just scrolling through a PDF version. To each his own though. Plus you gotta have something to read in the can!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:30 PM
kochj

I am not a kit builder, but if I wanted to build a kit, I would want it to be LASER CUT.....NOT jig cut.

Sig kits like all of the other target store brands are the same way.... balsa usa is all JIG cut as well??

I realize you want inexspensive kits... but I wouldn't want to put a Topflite kit even at a give away price.... because they are way more work than
would be if it had be laser cut....

Am I wrong??? I could be, as I know very little on the subject....
I hope I am not comming across like a arse.... I am mearly wanting to be educated on the subject....
Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 PM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Love Sig kits ! just built the 1/4 clipped wing what a pleasure. Great wood selection, components plans and manual.
They have my vote for sure.

Name:	My Sig Qtr clipped w CUB.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1963909  
Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

There is no question, Sig J-3's are the best looking and flying, lets support Sig and all other USA based companies, Du-Bro, Sullivan, Fourmost, Top Flite etc. Chinese hardware is garbarge, period!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:16 AM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by kochj
I am not a kit builder, but if I wanted to build a kit, I would want it to be LASER CUT.....NOT jig cut.

Sig kits like all of the other target store brands are the same way.... balsa usa is all JIG cut as well??

I realize you want inexspensive kits... but I wouldn't want to put a Topflite kit even at a give away price.... because they are way more work than
would be if it had be laser cut....

Am I wrong??? I could be, as I know very little on the subject....
I hope I am not comming across like a arse.... I am mearly wanting to be educated on the subject....
IMHO, I don't think there's a whole lot different in laser cut and die cut. There's still pretty much the same amount of prep in the two. Die cut parts have to be sanded around the edges to remove the little burrs and hairs and such where laser cut parts have to be sanded around the edges to remove the burning caused by the laser, as glue doesn't really like to stick to it. There may be a slight advantage to the precision of laser cut kits, but die cut are just as good, in my opinion. What sets a great kit cutter apart from the rest is the quality of materials, which SIG has a lock on. These are, and will continue to be GREAT kits.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by airega1
There is no question, Sig J-3's are the best looking and flying, lets support Sig and all other USA based companies, Du-Bro, Sullivan, Fourmost, Top Flite etc. Chinese hardware is garbarge, period!
I disagree, I have both a Balsa Usa 1/4 scale cub (dressed up like a PA11) and a 1/4 scale clipped wing cub, fabric covered and painted. The BUSA is more scale looking than the Sig.

Actually in 2 weeks when I have a minute I will post it for sale. I need the money to buy a powerplant for my Hostetler Decathlon I am working on.

Gerry
PS: If you want a Clipped wing w/o work ready to fly, let me know:-)

Name:	g-Konig edit of-1481.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	1964057   Click image for larger version

Name:	g-Konig edit of-0008.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1964058   Click image for larger version

Name:	g-Konig edit of-5.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	1964059   Click image for larger version

Name:	g-Konig edit of-1492.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1964060  
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 AM
GerKonig

I purchased the electric 72" Telemaster when it came out, like 8 years ago. I loved that model more than any other. I normally fit a giant scale, a small model, and the Telemaster in my truck. It came with me every time I headed to the field. Hundreds of flights, under all conditions. The Telemaster flew at times where everybody else did not because of the wind. It passed away one year ago due to a cable failure (the Y connector to the ailerons). A false connection created havoc. Anyway, I loved that Telemadster.

I am familiar with the Rascal 110, and let me tell you, if you power it right, it has a double personality. Put a cheap 1.6 electric on 10 cells, and you can race that model all over the place. It can go fast! And now the new batch also has ailerons!

I ended up replacing the Telemaster with a Giant Stick on a 1.6 and 10 cells. It is a hoot! I used to have a Z26 on it, but the fun factor peaked with the electric turning a 20 8 prop! The reason for not getting the Rascal 110 was the high price of the Rascal. But if somehing really bad would happen to the Giant Stick, I might turn into a Rascal owner:-) It is a great model.

Gerry
Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by GerKonig
I disagree, I have both a Balsa Usa 1/4 scale cub (dressed up like a PA11) and a 1/4 scale clipped wing cub, fabric covered and painted. The BUSA is more scale looking than the Sig.

Actually in 2 weeks when I have a minute I will post it for sale. I need the money to buy a powerplant for my Hostetler Decathlon I am working on.

Gerry
PS: If you want a Clipped wing w/o work ready to fly, let me know:-)

Yes BUSA does make a nice looking cub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.