Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 AM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

I think Sig is an outstanding company with a heart innertwined with the love and passion this great hobby creates within most of us in this hobby. For some reason their arfs have all but disappered. I'm worried about them becoming like Lanier or Carl Goldberg and selling out for lack of business/profit. Let's hear from anyone who has ever built or flown a Sig kit and create a buzz about this company before they also become swallowed up like the previously mentioned companys and we're left with one or two of their Great Planes!!! (pun intended) SO LETS HEAR ABOUT YOUR SIG EXPERINCES PLEASE!!!

Thanks , Chris
Old 07-22-2012, 09:09 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Has there been some new development with Sig? I heard that they dodged a bullet a few years back, but it sounds like they me be back on shaky ground again? I hope not!

You're right that they are an outstanding company and we need small players like Sig to keep the Horizon and Hobbico honest.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
dodgers72

My second plane ever and maybe my favorite was a Sig 4* 40 arf . I have been chasing the feeling that plane gave ever since I lost it. Not being one to repeat my self I've built other kits and arfs but haven't quite had that same feeling I had with my 4*. I also have a sig Hummer kit and a something extra that I'm working on. I'd really like to try A king kobra or maybe the smith miniplane.

Sig like Balsa USA still has the small town feel to me.Like they still care about this great hobby not just making a dollar. Their kits are still reasonably priced with excellent quality and as far as I know still made here in the USA. Who else loves Sig? Lets hear from you.

Chris
Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 AM
dodgers72

I didn't see it coming with Lanier and CG and wish I had more of a chance to try some of their planes straight from the company not some 20 year old kit that could have been sitting in someones basement that flooded 3 years ago and warped every stick and sheet in the kit or some watered down version in a down sized made for electric plane that was designed for larger nitro or even gas engines on the drawing board.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 AM
dodgers72

Anyone reading this thread seen the price increase on the Top Flite kits? They're almost as much as the arfs!!! I really like kits and warbirds top my list but sometimes I like a simple, cheap ,fast building, great flying kit like the 4* to go to the field and have a worry free all around fun day!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 AM
dodgers72

I have great respect for those that can build from scratch and would like to try it one day but I don't want to be forced to because hobbico jacks up the prices of their kits so much where it is unjustified to buy a kit and spend more money to finish it than you could buy an arf. Which then leads to even less kits available at more money and so on!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Built many a Sig kit going back to 0.49 CL jobs back in the day.  Have always been happy with their quality and the 4*40 is still primo.

Hope they stay around.

Tom

PS:  Never liked Goldberg stuff.  Top Flite and Balsa USA are quite good. especially the Stik 40 Plus.

Tom
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM
dodgers72

Tom, what was /is your favorite Sig to build? Which is /was your favorite to fly?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 AM
SunDevilPilot

I have built two Sig planes, a 1/5th Scale Cub and a 1/4 Scale Cub. I have looked at building their 1/3 Spacewalker. Nice Kits.

Hopefully they can sustain their business, which has been a part of RC airplanes since I have been involved in the hobby (About 20 years).

The 1/5th Scale Cub Kit Sig produces remains one of my favorite kits. Really great building and flying model.

SunDevilPilot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95896.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1784473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59520.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1784474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22758.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1784475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15905.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1784476  
Old 07-22-2012, 10:36 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Built the 4 star 40....literally fell together and an absolutely fantastic flyer...
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 AM
dodgers72

Hey Al. Just checked out your blog its cool! WWII planes are what really fueled my passion for planes and rc flight. I too wasn't able to afford to be involved in this great hobby until I was more established financially. The p-47 looks great by the way.

Have you ever built any Sig kits?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:47 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still fly my 4 Stars. One of the best kits ever made and one of the best flying planes out there. I alos train other flyers on a Sig LT 40 ARF. I am a kit builder from word go and would not like to see Sig gone. (The ARF belongs to my Club). Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
dodgers72

Beautiful cubs!! What are they covered with?

Chris
Old 07-22-2012, 11:02 AM
dodgers72

Dave
What size 4* do you like the best and what engine do you have in it?

Chris
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM
SunDevilPilot

Cubs :

Thanks. Both are covered with Solartex and paint. 

SunDevilPilot
Old 07-22-2012, 11:31 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've talked to the new owners of Sig at Toledo this year and I can tell you first hand that there is very little chance of Sig going under or being purchased by Horizon or Hobbico buying them out. The new owners are totally committed to making Sig one of the top companies in the RC industry. They have been working hard at restoring both their ARF and kit offerings and have plans to bring out lots of new planes as they move forward.

With that said I will say that I've built plenty of Sig kits myself over the years. I have 3 Hog Bipes, 3 Something Extra's, a 4-Star 60, a 4-Star 120, 2 Sig Wonders, and several others that I can't think of of the top of my head. They are a great company that produces great kits.

Ken
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone built the 1/5 Scale Anniversary Cub and converted it to a L-21A with flaps? Can you point me to a couple of links on the net where I can find out more???

I put my own Cub in today (Hangar 9 Cub 40 ARF) and am debating whether to replace it or to go and build a new one from Scratch.

I suppose that my main question would be as to how well the Sig 1/5 Scale Anniversary Cub would lend itself to conversion to something with flaps (PA-18??). I seem to recall that one of the Cubs had provisions for the mod...

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 AM
dodgers72

Thought it was something along those lines. You can't get that look without paint! They really look sweet and I'm not really a huge cub fan.

Chris
Old 07-22-2012, 11:52 AM
GaryHarris

Sig ROCKS!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 AM
dodgers72

I hear what your saying. My concern with Sig is in the arf department. I went to Toledo a few years ago and spoke with their reps. whom were very optimistic then too. That was also around the time when their arfs became unavailable.I really hope that is the case! Looking at their website they only offer a handful of arfs. I just don't understand why the 4 star, being one of the best selling models in their history kit or arf is not available to purchase as an arf. Lets face it arfs are where the hobby is today. For whatever reason they don't have alot to offer in that dept. and kit builders are more scarce then ever. It seems hard for me to believe without more to offer in the arf line up that they are as secure as they once were.

I just don't want to in the near future have to buy a great planes 4 star 40 a sig classic reborn thanks to hobbico.

If you were the owner of Sig at Toledo wouldn't you also be optimistic to a potential customer?

Chris
Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

I have returned to the hobby since retiring a couple of years back, Started back in the mid 1970's building Goldberg kits for my son so we had something to do together on weekends as he grew up. Didn't start flying myself until he went off to UConn. Went the ARF route for years as it was hard to find time to build (work, bills, work, bills, work, bills, etc., etc., we've all been there). This last winter I decided to build a Sig 1/5 scale Cub. Talk about memories rushing back. Took me most of the winter to build/cover it and I can tell you that there were many missed meals and all-nighters. Loved the Sig kit, had them on the phone a number of times to walk me through things I either didin't understand or over the years had forgotten how to do Great folks in every way! This winter I hope to build a Hog Bipe to replace an Aeromaster Special I put in by flying it too soon after getting back into the hobby. I truly hope Sig makes it. They are the standard by which I judge other kit builders. Safe flying to all.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
huck1199

I started with a Kadet MKII, then 4*, 1/3 Spacewalker, Kougar, Herr Aqua Star, LT40 kit. All great kits and flew well.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 PM
carrellh

One thing to consider. SIG does not manufacture the ARFs that carry their name. ARF building is contracted to manufacturers in Asia.

Around the time the ARFs disappeared there were two versions of the reason.
1. SIG couldn't pay for their orders so the factory sold the planes to Nitroplanes
2. SIG refused orders due to poor quality so the factory sold the planes to Nitroplanes

SIG's new owners have to find a manufacturer that will build to a specified quality level for a certain unit price. And they have to be able to pay for the order.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:16 PM
carrellh

Oh, my avatar pic is an Astro Hog.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 PM
dodgers72

I can't speak for others but I for one am always looking at/day dreaming about my next project! It seems to me all we have to do to secure Sig is for all of us kit builders and also the people who've wanted to build a kit to place an order. Their kit prices start at less than $50.00 and don't go above $279.99. I think I'll pull my trigger on a 4 star 120. how about anyone else.

I'll skip a couple of fast food dinners for the family see whats already in the freezer and fire up the grill a few more times,that should be plenty to afford the 4 star.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.