Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Aeronca Champ - Ikon Nor'West Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Aeronca Champ - Ikon Nor'West Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:54 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aeronca Champ - Ikon Nor'West Kit

I would like some opinions from those who have flown this aircraft. I have recently completed it and have flown it a few times.
For those unfamiliar with this kit, the airplane has a 9' wingspan and weighs in the 16-18 lb. range. This model does not make
smooth, crisp turns. The kit manual recommends aileron throws of 3/8" up and 1/8" down. These throws seem awfully low.
I have programmed in aileron/rudder. The aircraft really wallows on left and right turns. I have an OS 155 FS w/pump installed
using a Master Airscrew Classic 16x6 prop. Engine power and climb out on take off seem more than sufficient. I have never
flown a giant scale aircraft with such low aileron throw recommendations. The engine has 1-2 degrees down thrust. The CG
balance appears to be right on within the recommended range. Landing final approach is good and stable. Any thoughts
on the right/left aileron turn problems? Should the airplane be flown with an 18x6 prop? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never flown an IKON design that didn't fly well. Having said that, I have never used suggested control throws, either.

Put in the amount of control movement that you are comfortable with. Use your current throws as your low rates.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emil Neely was a much better designer/builder than flier. In later years others always flew his new creations. I would go with what you feel are the best throws at a gradual increase. Use lots of expo..........
Old 05-13-2014, 02:21 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JCOKEEFE
I would like some opinions from those who have flown this aircraft. I have recently completed it and have flown it a few times.
For those unfamiliar with this kit, the airplane has a 9' wingspan and weighs in the 16-18 lb. range. This model does not make
smooth, crisp turns. The kit manual recommends aileron throws of 3/8" up and 1/8" down. These throws seem awfully low.
I have programmed in aileron/rudder. The aircraft really wallows on left and right turns. I have an OS 155 FS w/pump installed
using a Master Airscrew Classic 16x6 prop. Engine power and climb out on take off seem more than sufficient. I have never
flown a giant scale aircraft with such low aileron throw recommendations. The engine has 1-2 degrees down thrust. The CG
balance appears to be right on within the recommended range. Landing final approach is good and stable. Any thoughts
on the right/left aileron turn problems? Should the airplane be flown with an 18x6 prop? Thanks.

What? No Pictures? How could you write about such a beautiful classic and not include a couple pictures?
I wish I'd a bought one of those back in the day when you could...

I would suggest running the 18X6" prop...That's a lot of wing span and that OS 155 should be happier with it anyway.

From your description it is hard to suggest exatly what to do with the aileron throws and rudder coordination. But I would suggest keep meesing with it a little at a time to get what you like. As I recall
That plane has pretty good size barn door ailerons --- doesn't it?

Start with taking out the rudder coupling and fly it around working the rudder manually to see how much it really needs or wants. That ole plane will need rudder to make the turns pretty.. Maybe add a little down throw on the ailerons will leaving the up throw as it is.

If you can - do some test. Roll it 45° left and see if it drops the low wing faster than it raises the hi wing. Then do the same to the right. Adjust aileron differential accordingly and then start dailing in your rudder coupling. Also remember it should be flying reasonably slow. I would imagine no more than 1/2 throttle with that engine.

Well good luck. Looking forward to some pictures and updated flight reports.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:33 PM
JCOKEEFE

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ
What? No Pictures? How could you write about such a beautiful classic and not include a couple pictures?
I wish I'd a bought one of those back in the day when you could...

I would suggest running the 18X6" prop...That's a lot of wing span and that OS 155 should be happier with it anyway.

From your description it is hard to suggest exatly what to do with the aileron throws and rudder coordination. But I would suggest keep meesing with it a little at a time to get what you like. As I recall
That plane has pretty good size barn door ailerons --- doesn't it?

Start with taking out the rudder coupling and fly it around working the rudder manually to see how much it really needs or wants. That ole plane will need rudder to make the turns pretty.. Maybe add a little down throw on the ailerons will leaving the up throw as it is.

If you can - do some test. Roll it 45° left and see if it drops the low wing faster than it raises the hi wing. Then do the same to the right. Adjust aileron differential accordingly and then start dailing in your rudder coupling. Also remember it should be flying reasonably slow. I would imagine no more than 1/2 throttle with that engine.

Well good luck. Looking forward to some pictures and updated flight reports.
Yes, it does have barn door ailerons, approx 3" wide and 20.5" long. Slightly over 1/2 throttle is needed for what I consider scale speed. I tried to upload a picture, but
it failed. I will try again. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:14 AM
eddieC

I tried to upload a picture, but it failed. I will try again
In the 'quick reply' box at the bottom of the thread, hover over the icons at the right. 4th from the right should be 'insert image'. Click on it and hit 'select files', then you'll browse your computer for the pic. Go slow and wait til it's done. If the pic is too large, save it in a smaller format and try again.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
JCOKEEFE

Originally Posted by eddieC
In the 'quick reply' box at the bottom of the thread, hover over the icons at the right. 4th from the right should be 'insert image'. Click on it and hit 'select files', then you'll browse your computer for the pic. Go slow and wait til it's done. If the pic is too large, save it in a smaller format and try again.
I don't see what you are describing, but I will continue to try to load a picture or two.

Last edited by JCOKEEFE; 05-15-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:23 AM
TomCrump

I don't see what you are describing, but I will continue to try to load a picture or two.
Type your reply. Then click on "Go Advanced" which is to the bottom right of the reply box.

Scroll down to "Manage Attachments" , to make your picture selection. Click on"basic uploader" and the click on "Browse".Make your selection, then click "upload."

When you are finished with your picture selections, click on "Done". in the bottom right corner of the box.

If you have finished typing your reply, click on "Submit Reply" on the lower right.

These pics are my IKON Cessna Airmaster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3216.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	1995705   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3220.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	1995706  
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 AM
JCOKEEFE

Can you or EddieC tell me how to reduce the format of my pictures? My pictures are between 6 & 7MB, which appears to be the problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:21 AM
TomCrump

Can you or EddieC tell me how to reduce the format of my pictures? My pictures are between 6 & 7MB, which appears to be the problem.
Download this. http://www.stormdance.net/software/p...20overview.htm It's what I use, and it's free. Run the size to around 1100 at 100%. You'll be able to post pics, then.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 AM
JCOKEEFE

[QUOTE=TomCrump;11805524]Download this. http://www.stormdance.net/software/p...20overview.htm It's what I use, and it's free. Run the size to around 1100 at 100%. You'll be able to post pics, then.[/QUOT

Pictures.......................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1995758   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1995759   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1995760   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	624.5 KB
ID:	1995762   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	1995763   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	1995764  

Last edited by JCOKEEFE; 05-16-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Resized pictures.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:45 AM
TomCrump

Beautiful model !

IKON kits are a challenge, but as you know, they build into a great looking model.

Now, I agree that you should ditch the rudder aileron coupling. Use you current high rates as low rates, and increase your high rates. Don't go crazy. Increase your rates gradually, until you are satisfied.

Last edited by TomCrump; 05-17-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:06 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Jerry,

Your plane looks great.
Good luck on the next set of flights. Let us know how things go.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 AM
JCOKEEFE

Smile

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Beautiful model !

IKON kits are a challenge.
That's an understatement. Ha Ha. Thanks for the advice from all of you. You may be wondering why I posted identical sets
of pictures. Well, I mistakenly posted the first set of three with a smaller pixel count and decided to experiment with a higher
pixel count, and then couldn't figure out how to remove the first three pictures posted.

Last edited by JCOKEEFE; 05-17-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:47 AM
ARUP

Nice Airknocker! I love 'em! I have the kit but haven't built it. I've flown Nosen versions (I've built and flown about six of 'em) and I'm sure they fly the same. They are 'pokey planes' so you gotta use rudder to counteract the adverse yaw. Just make sure to have mostly 'up' travel on your ailerons and you'll be O.K. More down thrust doesn't hurt if the plane noses up when power applied (think pendulum effect). These aren't 3D birds but ones that actually require skill to fly properly. (just kidding, 3D fliers)
Old 09-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Skipp2Maloo

Would anyone happen to have a Windshield Template for a 1/4 scale Aeronca Champ

Thanks everyone I found one!

Last edited by Skipp2Maloo; 10-01-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 PM
ARUP

The full scale version actually had a compound curve form to the upper center portion of the windshield. Most kits have a flat wrap version of the windshield. If you have the fuselage then just piece together paper or light card stock to fashion a template for cutting the windshield. It's really easy. A pattern I have may not fit your airplane and you would have to do some 'fine tuning' with scissors anyway!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:21 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

U need to use rudder. The differential in the instructions assumes you don't know how to coordinate the rudder when turning. Crankup the throws, Use a bit of expo, and learn to use your left thumb or mix in about 15% rudder.