Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

God, I Really Can't Tell!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

God, I Really Can't Tell!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God, I Really Can't Tell!

Purchased a used Sig Hog Bipe and am proceeding to mount my servos, receiver, engine (Thunder Tiger .91 4-stroke) and have run into an issue. I took everything off that would come off in an effort to clean the plane up a bit. That included the landing gear (looks like the stock Sig gear) which had been painted blue, but was peeling, so it needed to come off. Found a web site (last post was many yeasr ago) that dealt with nothinbg but Sig Hog Bipes and one of the statements made was "if your having issues with the plane tipping over on take-off, make sure the landing gear is facing forward, not mounted backward." Of course, when I took the landing gear off to get the peeling paint off I DID NOT mark which way is forward. I have now had the landing gear off and on (both ways) a number of times, and for the life of me, I can not see a difference.

Being a "third owner" I do not have access to a plan sheet against which to compare. Can the difference be so slight that it really is that hard to see?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: God, I Really Can't Tell!

Mount it so the wheels are as far forward as possible.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:25 PM
GaryHarris

X2.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Buckmeister

x3
Old 07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys are no help. I think he probably figured that one out already.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Nergall

Is it possible the used plane has aftermarket landing gear on it? In which case, maybe there is no front and back anymore?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics would help
Old 07-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Homer712

Thanks guys. I'll take some pictures tomorrow morning with the gear mounted both ways. I'll put a tape measure on the work bench for reference. I've been flying trail draggers for years so I'm familar with them. On a H9 Pulse 60 I got earlier this year I ended up turning the gear backwards to get it to stop flipping over on takeoff (come to find out in these forums that it was a common issue with that plane).
Old 07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

If you tried flipping it and can't tell then you have after market gear and it may not mater. Being a kit the builder may have put the LG block forward so you don't need an angled gear? In a kit build the LG block can also be placed at an angle so it is forward but you would have noticed that. I wouldn't worry about it. Ground testing will tell you if you have a problem or not!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 PM
SeamusG

I used a symmetrical composite (Super Strength DB789) Dubro landing gear with my Hog Bipe. I missed the "move the LG forward" suggestion so I'm in a stock location. I was playing around with "other" solutions to move the wheel axle forward. Took a piece of tapered stock and used it as a shim between the finished fuse bottom and the LG. This moved the axle 3/4" forward. Not the cleanest look. I'm gonna try "good take off throttle management" to see how well (or poorly) the piggy handles. Btw, mine has a Saito 100 on the nose.

The bolts have been replaced with three 1/4x20 nylon bolts - 2 forward and 1 rear. That way I can't screw up mounting the LGbackwards!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36862.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1788030  
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM
Gray Beard

Jim, without photos those are the gear I see in my minds eye that are on the OPs plane too. A tapered hardwood block is the cure for getting them set forward if you didn't do it during the build. The Sukhoi LG was very popular for a long time and found it's way onto a lot of planes. I have a couple of sets plus an ugly set that was sold through Tower that has a taper. I used them on scratch built Up-Roars because they are so strong and I could slam the plane in for spot landings
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Homer712

My gear looks exactly like the one in the picture above. What I did this morning was to take out my tape rule, back the tail wheel up against a stop and measure directly from the stop to the center line of the landing gear wheel shaft. Exactly 36 inches. Turned the gear around and took the same measurement. Right at 36 1/4 inches. I'll leave it in the 36 1/4 position and give it a try.

One other question (looking for opinions here I guess). The previous owner had an OS .91 4-stroke on this plane. I was planning on using a Thunder Tiger .91 4-stroke that I already have, but, I have an opportunity to purchase a used Magnum .80 4-stroke for this plane which I'm considering because my style of flying tends to be slow and easy (read "scale") flying. I'm sure being retired has something to do with it, but I prefer to just lazily cruise the sky. Don't have any experience with Magnum engines, all Thunder Tiger and Saitos so far. Any thoughts on the Magnum for this plane would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
thepamster

I would recommend sticking that TT.91 in there since you already have it and not to go down in size with a smaller size engine that is used and you are not familiar with.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Minnreefer

I would only suggest look at the weight of all three engines, if one is closer to the original os then i would go with that one.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Gray Beard

101 threads debating the Magnums, love um or hate um? I hate um. Your option.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Homer712

Thanks guys, the information/suggestions have been very helpful. Based on the weight of the previous owners installed OS .91 4-stroke, the weight of my Thunder Tiger .91 4-stroke and the fact that I fly off a (sometimes mowed) grass field, I'm going to stay with the Thunder Tiger .91. Thanks to all.