Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Radial engine recommendations?? Looking for a home for a Saito 120R3!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Radial engine recommendations?? Looking for a home for a Saito 120R3!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radial engine recommendations?? Looking for a home for a Saito 120R3!

So I want to find a home for a Saito FA-120R3 radial. Or maybe a FA-200R3. Kit would be very much preferred- any suggestions? Especially a WWI-era bipe would be sweet, but whatever- give me some ideas, please!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Radial engine recommendations?? Looking for a home for a Saito 120R3!

My Boeing F4B-2. Just kidding, it's a scratch built and too big and heavy for that engine. Take a look at Balsa U.S.A. kits. They cut a good product!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:35 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radial engine recommendations?? Looking for a home for a Saito 120R3!

ORIGINAL: Rv7garage

So I want to find a home for a Saito FA-120R3 radial. Or maybe a FA-200R3. Kit would be very much preferred- any suggestions? Especially a WWI-era bipe would be sweet, but whatever- give me some ideas, please!
1/4 scale J3 Cub
Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

My Boeing F4B-2. Just kidding, it's a scratch built and too big and heavy for that engine. Take a look at Balsa U.S.A. kits. They cut a good product!!
Hey Gray,

You musta read my mind. Lovin' the F4B.

I've got a BP Hobbies (Bob Peru) F4B-2 kit 1.20 size that I also think would be perfect with one of these radials. I'm sure it'd fly fine on the 120 but when I get ready to build it I'm gonna hunt down a 170 for a little extra "oomph".

Mike
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Gray Beard

I scratch built mine using John Tanzer plans. It has 68 inch wings and should be 12 pounds. I discovered early on that the CG location shown on the plans was incorrect!!! I go by the 25% rule with constant cord Bipes. My then advanced flight instructor said I was wrong because there were many proto types of this plane built but so Mr. Tanzers plans must be correct but he had me go to the forward mark shown just in case I was correct. OK!! Mine came out at 12 pounds and I used an OS 1.20 pumper. Thank God my instructor did the maiden!! First time I ever heard him swearing during a maiden, that plane was so tail heavy it almost died right after take off. He got it down and I showed him where 25% of the cord was. It took near 4 pounds of lead to get it CGed!! It flew but was a total slug. I tried to use bigger gas engines to get a better CG and weight but it has always been a heavy slug.
I gave my plans to a friend and told him all the little things to do to make it better and get a CG without adding weight. His is at 12 pounds and using a 40cc gas engine. His is a joy to fly. I would use some of my building tricks on any Bipe that the full scale used a rotary engine. If it had a rotory engine, even something like a Sukhoi, it's going to be way tail heavy. Knowing that, there are a lot of things you can do during the build to make getting the CG a lot better. Some of the BUSA kits would be a fine choice for the Saito, well worth a look.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Buhl 'Pup' would be perfect! Get some plans from Cleveland for the build. C'mon... you can do it!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: ARUP

A Buhl 'Pup' would be perfect! Get some plans from Cleveland for the build. C'mon... you can do it!
That would be cool. Off the top of my head I think the full scale Sperry Messenger used a three cylinder and didn't have a cowl or nose ring? MAN has the plans but the plane is too small for a 1.20 so a trip to Kinko's would be needed.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM
LargeScale88

Take a look at Balsa U.S.A. kits. They cut a good product!!
+1 on the balsa usa kits. They are fantastic, and have all different scales, and a great lineup of WW1 era planes. You probably already know about Balsa usa but thats the only company that comes to mind that makes nice kits that would go good with your radial.

Jason
Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Gray Beard

Jason, give this some thought, one of the big BUSA kits with something like one of the RCS radials up front. Or the money needed to buy one of those engines in my pocket, both would be great!!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 AM
LargeScale88

Jason, give this some thought, one of the big BUSA kits with something like one of the RCS radials up front. Or the money needed to buy one of those engines in my pocket, both would be great!!
LOL yeah when i can pick up a RCS 250 for around $1000.00 bucks, I'll think about it. Unfortunately the average man doesn't have $4800.00 sitting around for a hobby engine

It would turn heads at the field though no doubt.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Rv7garage

I'm picking up a vintage Pilot Models Neiuport 28 in a week or so; I am hoping that it will be the right size for this engine. If not, then it looks like there's a BUSA kit in my future
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Gray Beard

I don't recall the Pilot but I have seen a number of the BUSA 28s, You can never go wrong with a BUSA kit.
My kingdom for the RCS 215!! During my IMAA days I have seen and heard a lot of them. One fellow came to the event with a warbird with a 215 using his own exhaust system. It sounded so real!!!!! You knew every time he had his plane in the air. What a shame I was born so dan good looking but so poor!!!!!!! Every time I come up with a score I have high hopes of finding a nice round engine in one of the boxes. Hasn't happened but I still have high hopes.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Rv7garage

Wow. I just watched a video of a guy unpacking and demo-ing one of those engines. Maybe if I ever inherit a ton of money, or win the lottery... lol! Waaaay too sweet, Gray Beard!