Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Looking for my 1st build.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Looking for my 1st build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
BillinIndiana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my 1st build.

Hi all, I'm Bill in Indiana.. I'm a disabled construction worker that needs new hips and something to occupy my time. I consider myself to be pretty decent with my hands as far as building things goes and have a nice collection of toolsI've never flown an RC plane yet, but I do have a starter ordered. I went with a Hobbyzone Super Cub just to try and pick up the very basics..

Anyways, I'm more interested in trying to build a plane from a set ofplansfor right now.. I really like how the wood ones are assembled with all the ribs and support sections etc..

I came across this in a Google search today members.shaw.ca/rctestpilot/dauntless/build/It shows the building steps to a "Ziroli Dauntless" Not that I really know what that is? but the idea of building one like this is what I'm looking to do.. Just maybe on a smaller scale..

Any recommendations on a decent kit would be appreciated as I have no clue who makes a quality product..

Thanks! Bill in Indiana
Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 PM
raptor51

Default RE: Looking for my 1st build.

Hello Bill,

Certainly in our neck of the woods the tradition of scratch building from plan or from kits is dying out......the ARFs have taken over.
Having been in this game since I was a nipper (now 61) I have built and flown many different model aircraft.

Here are a few ideas basede on my experience:
    [*]Join a model aircraft club or get to know at least one experienced aeromodeller to assist you. The US governing body for aeromodelling will have a list of clubs etc - see their website.[*]Establish links with a good RC aeromodelling shop in your area.[*]Don't start off with a fancy scale models....initially go for a basic trainer/sport design (in this case the tried and tested, since the 60s, Ugly Stik or similar is good)[*]Smaller is not better....at least go for a 40 size or better a 60 size design (glow or electric equivalent). Bigger is easier to work with, more stable and easier to see in flight.[*]There is a heap of info on the internet...this is an excellent site which covers most things about RC flying/building - http://airfieldmodels.com/index.html[/list]Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM
BillinIndiana

Thanks for the infomation. My hometown use to have an Model Airplane airport, but it was on part of a State Recreation area.. Due to state cut backs it is now a field of Sunflower plants..

I wasn't sure where to post my original post so I did on two parts of this forum.. Anyways another member suggested an Sig MK II as a nice starter kit.. Any thoughts on this model? I actually like the looks of it. It doesn't look to "toyish" at least not in the images I've seen

Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 PM
huck1199

The Sig kadet MKII is an excellent trainer and a good kit to build.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any Sig Kit.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 PM
BillinIndiana

I looked on the Sig website and it gives me a list of additional materials.. Not sure what I will need or how many? Any help here would be appreciated, Thanks

www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV5.html
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 PM
BillinIndiana

Sorry I can't link to that material list..?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well bill I bet you never thought that some one in Australia would pop in to help. I looked up the details of the club that are near you.....
Huntington County Modelers
Bill Lowen [email protected]
Ray Dosh [email protected]
Huntington IN 46750
As you can see there are some names that you can email and get your self out to there flying field,then all the advice you get will make sence. If you find them not to your liking then there are more near by. Think this is the best move as you are so far away with what you need to do. All the people that respond to your thread will not want you to slip through the cracks. Its a great Hobby made up of many faboulous people 99.9% want to help. You will need to meet people with the same intrest, and it a great way to spend some sundays. Lets know how you go and if they are a great bunch of bloks. (they will be) yours Paul T
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 AM
BillinIndiana

Thanks for the links to some local guys Quigleywins..!

Here is a list of materials that pops up with the Mark II on the Sig website..  What all should I pick up if I decide to go with this plane?

<form method="POST" action="http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/ProductsV6.html?Z+Sig+fskr1731" name="order1">Product Code</form>DescriptionPriceType Order
Quantity
SIGRC49SIG KADET MARK II KITEACH$72.99<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty1"/>

Kit Completion Guide
Product CodeDescriptionPriceReqType Order
Quantity
Engine Options
AVI46AVIASTAR .46 2STROKE GLOW ENGEACH$49.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty2"/>Info
AVI53AVIASTAR .53 2STROKE GLOW ENGEACH$69.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty3"/>Info
Adhesives Required
SIGCA003SIG CA - THIN - 2 OZ. 
SI005-15C
EACH$6.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty4"/>Info
SIGCA012SIG CA - MEDIUM - 2 OZ. 
SI120-15C
EACH$6.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty5"/>Info
SIGCA021SIG CA - THICK - 2 OZ. 
SI500-15C
EACH$6.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty6"/>Info
SIGCA030SIG KWIK-SHOT 2 OZ. W/SPRAYEREACH$4.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty7"/>Info
SIGCA040SIG CA DEBONDER 1 OZ.EACH$3.321 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty8"/>Info
SIGSB002SIG BOND 4 OZ.EACH$3.891 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty9"/>Info
SIGSW002SIG SUPERWELD 8 OZ BOTTLEEACH$5.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty10"/>Info
Resins Required
SIGKS001SIG KWIK-SET 5-MIN EPOXY 2-OZEACH$5.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty11"/>Info
SIGEG001SIG EPOXY GLUE [1-1/2 OZ] SETEACH$5.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty12"/>Info
SIGGR001SIG GLASS RESIN 8 OZ NO HARDEACH$10.491 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty13"/>Info
SIGGC001SIG GLASS RESIN HARDENER 1/2OZEACH$2.491 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty14"/>Info
Building Materials & Additional Items
SIGAK249SIG KADET MARK II ACC. KITEACH$40.491 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty15"/>Info
SIGSH10000SIG CA APPLICATOR TIP 
ASST.[4S-4L-2F]
EACH$2.291 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty16"/>Info
SIGSH534SIG EPOXY BRUSHES [6]EACH$3.651 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty17"/>Info
SIGSH528SIG MIXING STICKS 6 INCH [12]EACH$2.691 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty18"/>Info
SIGSH678EPOXY SPREADER 4 INCH[PLASTIC]EACH$1.891 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty19"/>Info
SIGSH738SIG MIXING CUPS 1/4-1 OZ.[24]EACH$2.491 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty20"/>Info
SIGRF240SIG FOAM RUBBER 1/2 X 8 X 12EACH$3.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty21"/>Info
SIGSH309SIG MODELERS T PINS 1 OZ #16EACH$9.591 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty22"/>Info
SIGSH311SIG MODELERS T PINS 1 OZ #24EACH$6.991 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty23"/>Info
SIGSH283SIG RAZOR BLADES [6]EACH$2.491 of<input style="color: black; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: bold; " maxlength="5" size="4" name="dp_qty24"/>Info

Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 AM
LargeScale88

Not having an experience with the aviastar engines, I can't tell you if they are good or not, but I would sure go with an OS max 46 engine instead, quality is much better.

As far as whats on the list, you will need for sure:

1. The kit itself
2. For glue, its the builders preferance. Some people use CA glue, traditional wood glue, and some even use the old cement. Epoxy will be needed for higher stress areas such as landing gear plates, firewalls, joining wing panels, etc.
3. The resin isn't really needed, as it is mainly for fuel proofing areas like the firewall and for glassing thewing center section.You could also use thinned out epoxy for that
4. You will need the foam rubber to protect your battery and receiver
5. A FLAT building surface

There are many threads on RCU that you can check out that talk about tools in the shop and building for the newbie. Here is a Sig Kadet Mark II build here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6781006/tm.htm

All of the sig kits include photo illustrated instruction manuals to guide you through the build, which is really good for a new builder.

As people have already stated, its a good idea to check out airfieldmodels online. This guy has all the info you need for building, photos and how to's, its a great site that will help get you going.

The kit will have all the wood to complete the kit, landing gear parts, manual, cowl, pushrods, etc. The big things you need to worry about are radio gear and engine.

Jason
Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 AM
LargeScale88

I forgot to mention that you will also need lots of T pins, go ahead and purchase sigs if you want, but I would go to a hobby or fabrics store and purchase them by the hundreds pack, especially if you are using wood glue for construction.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a list of what I have for building.

Sanding bars w/adhesive-backed sandpaper, various grits (Great Planes makes them, they are nice...very handy)
Thin, Medium, and Thick viscosity CA
CA spray kicker
30-minute epoxy
T-pins
Hobby/X-acto knives

...that's definitely enough to get you started. I will second the recommendation for the SIG Kadet. I learned by building SIG kits; their materials and manuals are the best! Once you have built a kit or 2, only then will you be ready for a plans only build, as you will have developed the basic skills and an eye for things. If you decide to go with the Kadet, post a build thread!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, I'll put my vote in for the O.S> .46AX as a powerplant. Versatile, powerful, & reliable!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the Sig Kadet as a starter for building and flying. Great kit and good flying plane. Actually that is what i soloed with in the 1979. It is hard to beat O.S. quality especially in a 2 stroke glow engine. In my opinion, you are in the most fun part of the hobby, starting out, a lot to learn both building and flying. I am not sure where you are located from Columbus, IN but there is a big bird there this Saturday, August 11th. In the past it has been well attended, it would give you an opportunity to talk to a lot of folks and see some great planes.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM
LargeScale88

They stopped making the orginial OS46ax engine I see on tower hobbies, but OS has a new engine that I hear is a true powerhouse. The price is very reasonable if you ask me, and the engine will last you for years.

Can't beat this engine:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCABL&P=ML

Oh and like RV7garage said, you will need a sanding block, some sandpaper, some more sandpaper, and lastly sandpaper. After you build a kit or two, you are going to be the master at sanding, especially because there are parts on the Mark II trainer where its sorta a "sand to shape" deal, so stock up on sanding supplies.

It also doesn't hurt to have a couple squares sitting around to make sure your ribs and parts are square.

This is a little more expensive item, but it doesn't hurt to have a drill press if you have the space. Sometimes trying to drill a straight hole into a motor mount or similiar becomes a hassle. I wouldn't make it without my drill press .

Jason
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 AM
fix-n-fly
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Bill - I'd like to make a suggestion for your first kit. It is a Sig LT-40 kit, still .40 size, but will require a lot less sanding. The kit costs a little more, but it comes with nice additions, such as fuel tank, wheels, spinner, most everything you'll need except for covering, engine, and radio. The kit is lazer cut and assembles much like a jigsaw puzzle. http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig . You can sometimes find this kit on ebay for less than $132.00 Sig is asking for.

If this is too much airplane, try its cousin, a Sig LT-25. This is also a gem of a plane, but doesn't include the tank and wheels in the kit. It flys just as well as the LT-40, but is also a pleasure to build as it is lazer cut as well. The link for this kit is http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig

Also, if you want to save a few bucks on a good .40 sized engine over the price of an OS max, look at this Thunder Tiger engine http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKF97&P=ML . I got tired of paying for OS Max prices and this engine is almost identical and very dependable.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Any Sig Kit.
Most definitely - yes - Any Sig Kit. And after you gain some experience (or even before you gain experience lol) ............build a Sig Kadet Sr. Big plane with bridgework construction. So cool.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 AM
GaryHarris

Welcome to the addiction Bill.

My suggestion for a first build and the first plane to learn with would also be the Sig Kadet LT 40.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:31 AM
eddieC

As you can see, Bill, Sig has many followers. 

I'd second the Kadet Sr.  Bigger planes fly better, are easier to see, easier to work on, and are more durable.  The OS and TT engines are very popular engines at our field. You won't go wrong with either.

Once built, you'll need a field box and all the accesories; tools, fuel, starter, glow igniter, etc. I started out with my Dad's carpenter's box. I still have it, but use a field box now. That's another quick-build project you can look into.

Do go and hang out at the local model field. You'll find a great group of guys who will be willing to share. Watch whoever seems to be the most patient and helpful, but also a very good flier. See if that person will mentor you.

Godspeed on your recovery.  
Old 08-09-2012, 10:14 AM
eddieC

Bill, I just looked over your list. Get as much as possible at your LHS (local hobby shop). 
Their 'accessory pack' is very pricey, I'd recommend getting things from the LHS or Tower, and you'll probably get more for that $40. I always go up 1/2" on tires, bigger tires take bumps better, and don't get stuck as easy on little chuck holes.
Get 1 each of each CA, Kwik-shot or Zip-kicker, Titebond instead of Sig Bond, 5 & 30-minute epoxy, a bottle of alcohol, a bottle of nail polish remover, a big bottle of clear nail polish (paint all your covering seams to prevent fuel soak), foam rubber and plenty of T-pins and #11 X=acto blades with holder, plus a box cutter
The Aviastar is a fine motor also, well-engineered. 
I'd recommend Ultracote covering, easy and durable:
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Ultracote.aspx
and one each of a temp gauge and covering iron:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB352&P=0 
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB361&P=0 

Have fun!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:39 AM
tweedy

You can't go wrong with the Sig LT-25 just don't over power it. a mild 25 is all it needs.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
carrellh

RCKen is one of the RCU forum managers and he did a very detailed build thread for the SIG LT-40
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3439708
He goes through a detailed list of necessary and optional items that can apply to any build.

The more build threads you can look at the more you can learn. Everyone has different methods and seeing options will help you figure out your own style of doing things.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
jmpups

It's great to hear that A newcomer to the Hobby want's to build his projects. I do recommend purchassing A kit like the Sig Line also recommended by other reply's. This will give you good basics of how everthing should go together before going to the expense of trying to build from plans. Ziroli is probably the biggest name in plans especially for warbirds. There are also companies out there like Precision Kit Cutters, that will cut all the formers, ribs and specialty pars and supply all the wood needed to complete the model, from your plans. If you don't have A good R/C hobby shop in your area, you can find Many online to help with all the accessories. Last find A flying club in your area, your fellow modelers can certainly help. Good Luck, and enjoy the Hobby. jmpups
Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 PM
DeferredDefect

The LT's are a bit easier to build but quite "boxy" in appearance.  If you want the "quickest and easiest" of the three, this is it.

Mk.II is an older design and is more building intensive, but has nice lines and is a bit easier to transport.

The Senior is the biggest of all, looks in my mind the best and is the best builders kit. It is harder to transport, however; Standard is a one piece 80 inch wing.

For a rank beginner, I'd say the Senior, without ailerons (as built standard), is the easiest to fly - loads of wing area, light weight, and can be powered by a large range of engines. However, if you want ailerons, they will have to be added by the builder. If you want to build, this kit is the one. It has a wonderful truss fuselage and can be made to look rather "scale". 

I hope this helps, and happy flying!

Graeme

Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM
huck1199

A word of caution - as a new kit builder I would use yellow wood glue instead of CA.  It is too easy to mess up using CA if you are not familiar with construction.  I like Titebond II.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.