Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Servers

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Servers

6:30 am. and get a server error 503??? How sucky are the RCU servers!!! Will RCU ever get them replaced??
Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servers

Hey Gene - a "well managed" IT approach for doing preventative maintenance and upgrades is to do them when no one's around to notice. With RCU that seems to be whenever it's convenient for the tech.

Just sign me "spent many sleepless nights" ...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gene,
 I'm sorry that you are having problems with RCU. Yes, RCU has had some problems in the past. I know that many of you have been frustrated. Trust me, nobody is more frustrated by these issues than I am. But, I know that IB is working very hard to correct these problems and move forward. When RCU was sold to Internet Brands they purchased a huge customized software package that ran on multiple servers and multiple software packages, and unfortunately the move did not go well. I wish I could paint a better picture than that, but that's the bare bones of the issue. The move just didn't go well. And unfortunately there was no way to go back and try again. All they have been able to do is try to get all the problems fixed. They are doing that as I can see improvements in how things are working. I know that IB is moving towards an upgrade to VBulletin for RCU as soon as they get all the demons worked out of the system.

Once again, I'm sorry you are having problems.

Ken
Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM
KitBuilder

I work in IT where we have customers like citibank, walmart and Honda, etc. You can "always" go back to status quo, re-think it and try again if it doesnt go well the first time. If they weren't able to go back... they didnt think it through. Not bad mouthing anyone.. just that's how it is.

No biggie really... it's just a hobby site right.... (I did have some witthdrawal systems when I couldn't get to my build thread )
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gene?

Settle down brother. Shat happens.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM
SeamusG

Gary - this is GENE that you're talkin' about. Gene! I think that the RCU home page should have little bullet holes (OK, BB holes) in it.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike and I talked about it when it got real bad and you couldn't even post a photo. It was decided to go back and start over like KB said. It was brought up but fear of loosing old threads were blamed for not starting over. I felt that loosing the old threads could be a good idea, all the questions and answers would be fresh. It just seems the server problem just keeps going on and on without end. If you can't post photos you can't do a build thread. Photos on other sites only takes a few moments and there are no time outs. Why not go over to the same servers?
I know nothing about puters but Mike seemed to think it wouldn't have been that hard to get the site back up like it used to be.
If I could sleep all the way through the night I wouldn't be up at strange hours with nothing else to do, sometimes at 3 and 4 am the site gets real strange.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:04 PM
SeamusG

I've danced with many, many conversions between disparate technologies. The information was what companies used to operate their businesses with. Yea, multi-billion dollar corporations. So I gotta laugh when I here the "gonna lose data" card gets played.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that it's JUST a hobby site, but I *would* hate to lose all the old data.  I think a lot of the really old threads are still highly relevant today and enjoy going back through the old stuff from time to time when I'm caught up on my current threads.  I'm sure that when IB went to the "new system"  they thought it would either better fit their current business model, or it would improve the site overall.  If you go back to the "old system" it's not going to fix or improve the "new system" so probably all they can do is mush along forward.  I too worked in enterprise level IT for 20 years and feel I could have done a better job of planning or implementing the "upgrade", but what's done is done.  For what it's worth, things DO seem to be getting better.  I'm not a "hard core user" here, but I've had WAY fewer problems lately and the system seems to be running a little smoother.  I feel for the power users and corporate advertisers who have money invested and are frustrated with IB & RCU but for all the hobby users like myself who have been raising cain and jumping ship, all I can say is, "Ah well..... "