Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Making Parts From Kit Instructions?

Just wondering if you can make a "Missing" part from the instructions that come in the Sig kits?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Making Parts From Kit Instructions?

what part and what kit?
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: goirish

what part and what kit?
    Any Part of Any Kit.. Didn't know if Sig kits have a "scale" size sheet of each part in the kit, so you could maybe make a new part if needed?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most kits have the full size plans with the kits. While they usually don't show every part full size with some imagination they can usually be duplicated. Some builders will draw an out line of the parts not included on the plans just in case down the line they want to build another one from the plans or need to repair the plane after a crash.

skeeter
    \"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tracing paper make a dup off plans
    don\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'cry\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\' till\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'it hits

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some parts can be made if you know the height and width..

Many times if you can get close, you can put the part in place and figure out the arcs of a piece by using a flexible balsa stickand sighting along it to get a flowing even line, heck you might make the plane look BETTER than the kit.

Build the wings and tail right, get the cg right, and you can almost do anything in between those parts as far as looks go. Heck the fuse is mainly an alignment jig

Thats my opinion anyhow ! I am ready for any disagreements !

I might not answer them for a week though, I'll be gone

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From instructions?? Not really but there are ways to do it. Probably the only way for you to do it is something I have been preaching for years, templates!! With any new kit you want to make a template of every part on bond or butcher paper and keep them on hand, never toss the plans or instructions. This way you can cut your own kit if you like.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've tried to play with SIG manual scans. They ain't proportional to the actual parts. They have been adjusted to fit the printed page.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

I've tried to play with SIG manual scans. They ain't proportional to the actual parts. They have been adjusted to fit the printed page.
    And they come out as off centered lines the bigger they go.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep the parts 'trees' when building. Label each tree with the part numbers. This is another source for templates.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wasn't sure if the kits came with a page or something that had exact dimensions of each individual part.. Reason I asked was I have been watching Kits on E-Bay. I'm always a little leery about buying some items on there.. I was just thinking about what I would do if a piece was totally missing from the kit.. How would I replace it etc.
      Thanks for the replies, Bill in Indiana

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As has been stated above, most kits "plans" will not include templates for cutting all the parts. This is what separates kit plans from builder's plans. Builder's plans have the templates/outline for every part you will need to cut. Kits plans intentionally leave out key parts. It's just business for them. If they included every part on the plans then next time you wanted to build one you wouldn't need to buy the kit, you could just cut your own. 

With kits disappearing from the market all the time I've adopted a practice several years ago to assure I will always have kits I want to build. Whenever I get a kit in I will take all parts out and do what has been recommended above, I will make a tracing of every part in the kit. This way I can always cut my own kit later on down the road if the manufacturer has pulled that kit off the market. This also comes in very handy for crash repair. If you crash a plane you can simply cut the new parts you need to make your repairs. 

Hope this helps

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sig does a good job of making sure no parts are missing, but in the RARE event, like everyone says, copy the part down on paper or call Sig and ask to ship you a new part of a new sheet that the part is on, they are a good business now so they will take care of their customers.

Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This can always be a problem when buying use kits, new or old and if you buy a kit with missing parts you could be hung out to dry. Some of the older kits blue prints had the parts shown in full size profile. Example: I had a minot crash with a kit built GP Bipe. I finally did it the hard way and made up the wing ribs and got it reapired. I traded off the plane and someone here asked about the plans, I pulled them out to send them and what do you know?? The plans had everything shown in profile!! It was the 60 Aeromaster.
    Royal also has the profiles on some of there old plans. Kit cutters quit doing that so people couldn't just build the planes themselves without buying the kit but your screwed if you need parts most the time.
    As someone that hasn't built yet you may want to avoid buying RC items from ebay and just buy your kits new. Start small and easy, get a few kits built rt5hen start looking at easy plans to start with then move into the harder planes/plans.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Sig does a good job of making sure no parts are missing,"

But E-Bay does not, and that is where he is talking about buying from.

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have bought many a kit over the years. Today, I very rarely buy a kit. But when I do, the first thing I do is make templets for all the parts. I have found this company has the very thing that scratch builders need. It's templet material that is a plastic sheet that is .011 inch thick, it's clear and frosted on both sides.

You lay it over the part you want a templet, trace it with a pencil or marker. Then score the plastic with a hobby knife and the part breaks out. It's thick enough to trace around for making the balsa or plywood part.

A sheet of this material cost $7.50 for one sheet that is 52" X 22" X .011".

http://seetemp.com/index.htm

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1. If the Ebay seller has 99+% positive feedback and will accept returns you really can't lose.
    2. Most of the kit PLANS (instead of the instructions) have section drawings etc. that show the shaped parts.
    3. If Sig is still offering the kit on their website I'll bet they'll sell you the diecut sheet containing a missing part pretty reasonably.
    4. There are so many guys on here with old plans stashed away if you need a plan copy you'll be likely to find some help.