Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LHS Rant!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LHS Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: LHS Rant!

Actually, I know and fly with a number of these ' National competitors " and I can assure you that they all build their own airplanes.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was directing my comments towards BOZARTH's comment concerning those that don't build their own models and my hat goes off to those national competitiors that DO build their own models.

SPEEDY G
Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: airraptor

The best LHS i have found so far in Cali is RC Country in Sacramento. very large in size as it used to be a old grocery store.
Is this the big shop just east of 99??
Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Bill G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: acerc

And what's amazing is when we take one of our scratchbuilt aeroplane's out to the field, the ARF guy's go nut's over it. And if you ask them why don't they build one their responce is not that they can't or don't want to but that they don't have the time. Which I simply reply Bullsh*t. I have been a builder since my early teen's. Even manage to build while working 12-16 hour day's. There is only one reason not to build. You just don't want to. And I'm ok with that. Nothing in this hobby is set in stone. To each his own.

Very true. If you don't build, you don't want to. Many people just refuse to be a bit resourceful, failing to realize that all of us started at one point with no experience and had to put in some initial investment and deal with the pros-cons of the learning process. What they don't realize are the 2 most important things: It doesn't take an incredible amount of time to become a good builder. Scratchbuilding can be very fast, while building top notch and difficult subjects. At this point, I figure a kit only saves me maybe 10-20% of the total time invested in a build. 3-views with sections are almost a plan, if you build using the simple keel and former method, such as the method most Guillows kits use.

As for the initial poster's comment about the LHS owner complaining that kits don't sell: The owner could stock a small selection of Guillows kits, without major investment. The hassle of ordering is simplified, as major distributors that shops order from carry Guillows. I have a difficult time believing that they don't sell, as they do. If they don't sell to a builder, they sell as gifts, etc. At minimum, the owner could be convinced they're also doing a good thing for the hobby and society, to promote building. I'm almost exclusively a scratchbuilder now, and started out with you guessed it, Guillows kits.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:24 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

The best LHS i have found so far in Cali is RC Country in Sacramento. very large in size as it used to be a old grocery store.
Gene, its right at the junction of HWY 50 and 65th st. Great shop, everytime we go racing in Sac we make an effort to stop in. The shop is very well organized, lots of inventory and the staff engages customers in a very professional manner.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM
FreakyDude

my LHS I walk into with the Mfg part numbers, They say that the numbers are wrong and I must check them. In front of me they go onto the mfg web site and find the part numbers and parts i am looking for and they still say my numbers are wrong. ordered my stuff elsewhere and I won't be going back.
So what if I only spend 40 or 50 bucks a visit and I don't lay down money for arfs. I build what I use. screw them, they can have there arfs.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 PM
IfIHadWings

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have stopped by two LHSs in past month and noticed one thing missing....kids.  They were notably absent from the stores and especially the R/C area.  We need to bring youth to the excitement and awe of R/C flight....foam, glued sticks, whatever.  For many of us, the thrill of airplanes started young and led to building more complex kits after we cut our teeth on control line .049s and other simple options.  Give a nephew a RTF Champ and teach him to fly.  Invite a neighbor and his kids to the field to help them catch the bug.  I keep cheap balsa gliders in my radio case and give them to kids who show an interest at the field....a start I hope.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Actually, I know and fly with a number of these ' National competitors '' and I can assure you that they all build their own airplanes.

I only know a few that build fully composite Q40 and Q500 airframes (Terrence, Jim A., Chuck Bridge, Bruce DeChastel, and Lyle L.) The rest just put them together like me. But I also like to build.

I'm pretty sure all of the Q40 planes at the Nats this year were fully composite. Of the top 10 in 426, there were 6 Vortex's (composite wing, but balsa fuselages), 1 R-200 (fully composite), 2 Neme-Q+ (fully composite), and a Seeker (composite wing but balsa fuselage?). Not much kit building in the bunch.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

I agree. China was smart enough to build something that the r/c people would buy. Even if most of it is junk!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:38 AM
mike31

None the less. Money still goes back to China no matter where you buy.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:39 AM
mike31

Not many kit manufacturers any more. Kits are few and far between.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

I am a kit builder as well as ARF builder, yes you can build an ARF.. On arf's I almost always change things to suit me and most of the time the changes are harder to do being the plane is covered.. I have a 50cc pitts on the bench right now that's been nothing short of a total redo, but when it's done, it will be a one of a kind and a plane I will be proud off..

My LHS is pretty big and stocks what sells in the area, pretty smart bizz if you ask me.. I never get mad because he doesn't stock something I need, I simply call him up and two days later he calls me back to tell me it's in... I would never tell him what I think he should stock, till I am the one flipping the bills of the shop, I have no right doing so.....

Yes this hobby has changed over the years, but so have we and everything else in the world.. If we didn't have change, we would still be eating our food with our bare hands and clubbing our women and dragging them to the cave when ever the mood struck us, hmmmmmmm, change does suck!!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gene, its right at the junction of HWY 50 and 65th st. Great shop, everytime we go racing in Sac we make an effort to stop in. The shop is very well organized, lots of inventory and the staff engages customers in a very professional manner.

When my wife and I would drive up 99 to get to a place in Sac. we picked up the 50 for only a little ways, that shop was just down the road from our flooring place. That is where I bought my first YS engine. They had a great selection of everything from glue to boats. I could never remember the name though. They even stocked gas engines and the guys behind the counter even knew what they were talking about. Something that doesn't happen a lot these days.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
KitBuilder

So reading the first post... your upset because a business owner disagrees with you about the state of the hobby? Just because things change doesn't mean everyonhas to.

This is the issue in a nutshell. People who like to build, build for themselves. People who buy arfs are going to go with a name brand due to support and knowing it will fly... instructors at the field who probably have flown them, etc . This is something you won't be able to offer on your build. You can build something really nice but it would only be appreciated by a builder who will... again buid his own.ar

My LHS has a nice newly built 1/4 scale clipped cub never flown... all the bells and whistles... twin saito poking out each side.. functional gear.. all solartex white and blue, pilot,, etc. etc. etc.. hung in his shop for 18 mos. then sold out of blue one day.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When my wife and I would drive up 99 to get to a place in Sac. we picked up the 50 for only a little ways, that shop was just down the road from our flooring place. That is where I bought my first YS engine. They had a great selection of everything from glue to boats. I could never remember the name though. They even stocked gas engines and the guys behind the counter even knew what they were talking about. Something that doesn't happen a lot these days.

Yes that may be it. I will tell you that you cant walk out the door and not spend less than 300 dollars there. Since 1985 it is one of the best hobby shops i have been too. they might have 12 or more people working the floor at any one time. they sell cars, boats,trains, toy hobby toys, slot cars, 3d, imac, race and control line planes. they also sell gliders and heli's. they stock all the high race equipment for these items also. not just the horizon blade 400 and replacement parts. they a whole isle set up just for magazines. I think they have everyone that is printed every month. they only thing i dont like about them is that they are a 40 minute drive one way.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 PM
jodini
My Feedback: (2)

This might have been said before, but internet really killed the LHS....but that's a different subject.

I just went to my LHS....HobbyTown USA and they surprised me....I saw some top flight and sig kits still on the shelf. They said they sell fast during the winter time. My attic is stuffed full my kits.....some stafford kits, balsausa, sig, greatplanes. They sell well and are a good investment to have! Never know....I might build one too!
Joe
Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Actually, I know and fly with a number of these ' National competitors '' and I can assure you that they all build their own airplanes.

I only know a few that build fully composite Q40 and Q500 airframes (Terrence, Jim A., Chuck Bridge, Bruce DeChastel, and Lyle L.) The rest just put them together like me. But I also like to build.

I'm pretty sure all of the Q40 planes at the Nats this year were fully composite. Of the top 10 in 426, there were 6 Vortex's (composite wing, but balsa fuselages), 1 R-200 (fully composite), 2 Neme-Q+ (fully composite), and a Seeker (composite wing but balsa fuselage?). Not much kit building in the bunch.

Those are a far cry from Chinese built ARF's. I would also have to say that these days the term "build" is used loosly. IMO just because you have an all composite airplane dosent mean that a build did not take place. There is still quite alot of work to getting one airworthy. I raced with Richard Verano a few weeks ago and his airplane was built by him. Him And I also were flying at a pattern contest ealier this year. He was flying a Bridi Escape that was buily a few years ago by Joe Bridi and given to Rich. Rich had to finish it up. Don't assume that there are pilots that get handed turn key airplanes to compete with. It just dosen't happen.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Those are a far cry from Chinese built ARF's. I would also have to say that these days the term ''build'' is used loosly. IMO just because you have an all composite airplane dosent mean that a build did not take place. There is still quite alot of work to getting one airworthy. I raced with Richard Verano a few weeks ago and his airplane was built by him. Him And I also were flying at a pattern contest ealier this year. He was flying a Bridi Escape that was buily a few years ago by Joe Bridi and given to Rich. Rich had to finish it up. Don't assume that there are pilots that get handed turn key airplanes to compete with. It just dosen't happen.

Sounds good.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 PM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

I never would have gotten into this hobby if it wasnt for kits, I love building. Agood friend of mine never would have gotten int this hobby if it wasnt for arfs. either we are both hooked. he flys only big stuff, so money is comming in to these companys to make bigger and better. the only thing that will help the local hobby shops is when internet sales will be taxed. Its comming very soon.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM
GerKonig

]

Kurt,
Please take into consideration that ''National Competitors'' who only have an interest in flying and not building ARE NOT your average everyday modeller. They probably don't know how to change the oil in their own car and if they do they would prefer that someone else do it for them for fear of getting dirt under their fingernails.

If the big money sponsors went away for these big shots they would have to come back down to earth and buy their own glue and build before they could ever fly again.

I know you and I are not that type.

Building is the foundation. Whether you built it or someone else built it. A model airplane HAS to be built by someone.
[/quote]

Well, I build model airplanes, have been doing this for all my adult life, but I have never changed the oil of the car. I have better things to do with my time. I do not know anyone that actually changes his oil or filter. Maybe because of the area.. To each his/her own. I know a bunch of people that fly expensive arfs (you know, really big acrobatic models, over 100") non is paid a penny by any sponsors.

I think too many people make senseless generalizations...

Gerry
Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 PM
ramboy

ORIGINAL: kork

I never would have gotten into this hobby if it wasnt for kits, I love building. Agood friend of mine never would have gotten int this hobby if it wasnt for arfs. either we are both hooked. he flys only big stuff, so money is comming in to these companys to make bigger and better. the only thing that will help the local hobby shops is when internet sales will be taxed. Its comming very soon.

Internet sales are taxed - by shipping and handling charges.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

NEVER changed the oil in your car? Never????
Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 AM
flythisnotthat

Not to be the skunk at everybody's picnic here, but any LHS that's worth anything can order most any kit you could specify, through their distributors. I recently had my LHS acquire me a Top Flite 100" Stinson SR-9 kit, and they don't keep any kits in stock at all. Now, it's time to get started on it; ;hopefully, I'll have it finished some time before the end of this decade!

Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Toysareforkids
My Feedback: (4)

I don't think some of the posts here read what I wrote. I was complaining that he thought I should have had his idea of top line servo's, ( I thinkFutaba's are) and that he thought the planesshould have been arf's to sell them, thats what people want ! What is the meaning of arf, it's"Almost" "Ready" to "Fly." What part of these is not. Besides taken apart and in a box! The Thunder Tiger Champion 45Lis a arf! that I put together and added retracks, servos, and a motor. It's more than what you get when you by the ARF it is. These are 56' and 76" wing span, not a foamy, or a electric park plane that you always see at the stores. Something different for peoplethat don't want what everyone else has. (able to find on the flite line.)

As far as wanting the hobby store to carry kits, you guys make it sound like I want him to stock up on them. I said a kit or three. A trainer to get people started, and a intermediate type plane.This hobby store is not hurting for money, he is doing very well! He probably spends more on his lunchin a week than a kit would cost to stock.

Everyone say's support your local hobby store! But Don't ask them to carry anything you need, or any kits. Bull Crap! I do it all the time, and when I order something most the time they get one in for their shelf! This is the only place that doesn't have a kit in the store, that I go to. And the ones that do, sell them, and then get a different one in. Sure they will order you one, but some people see one, and buy it now, instead of thinking of what they want first. I know I do some times.

Pat
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

The term ARF should actually be ( 90% of the time) ARFU

All Ready F'd Up !!!

I just finished up a complete rebuild on a Great Planes Viper Q500 and maidened it today.

6 weeks ( on my schedule ) to completely tear the fuselage apart and get it right.

What a total POS. I didn't save any time with this ARF! The Lanier Predator II was of much higher quality and Great Planes bought them out and dropped the Predator and kept the Viper. Viper probably cost a dollar to make and the Predator cost $2 so they dropped the Predator.

I had a Great Planes 1/3rd Pitts 50cc that was pretty nice. I now have a Goldwing 50cc Ultimate that is pretty good but they ALL needed some TLC.

I just bought a ACE 1/4 Clipped Taylorcraft KIT here on RCU and I am really looking forward to the build and there will be no doubt as to it's structural integrity when it is done.

The internet has become a goldmine for vintage kits like this. Stuff you absolutely will not find at your LHS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.