Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Want to build my first kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Want to build my first kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Spridal
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to build my first kit

Hello all,
I've flown helicopters for eight years and airplanes for about two years. The aircrafts that I have owned have all been ARF’s or RTF’s. I have never built a kit and for that matter never covered an airplane. I feel the need to venture out and try and build an airplane from kit as I feel it would give me greater appreciation for the hobby and allow me to hone new skills. I know this might be old hat to some of you but it is a totally new world for me. For my first kit I thought the Sig four 40 would be a good choice to start with but I would like to get suggestions from the building veterans in this forum. Thank you for your input.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:37 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Want to build my first kit

SIG's 4* 40 is an excellent choice. Not only is it a good flying plane, but the kit parts fit, instructions and illustrations are second to none. A great first build.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Canukk

You sound like you know how to fly so anything from Balsa USA or Sig would be a good kit.

I am currently building the Thomas Morse scout kit from Balsa USA and the fit of the parts is excellent.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Spridal

Thanks Guys,
I'm sure I will have plenty of quesitons so please stay tuned.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"You sound like you know how to fly so anything from Balsa USA or Sig would be a good kit."

No. Kits come in a number of flavors/complexity. The man said a Sig 4 Star 40. A fairly basic airframe.

Les
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Spridal

I'm a long way off from needing to cover the plane but if anyone has pointers on how to cover that would be great.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 AM
prgonzalez

Spridal,

RCU has a How To Section. You will find three videos by MinnFlyer. Those are a great start for covering airplanes using Monokote or Ultrakote.

I want to congratulate you for your initiative in learning the building of model airplanes. If you get bit by the bug, you will want to build another, and another, and another,.....

We are here to help.

Pedro
Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Spridal

Guys,
What do you think about the Goldberg Tiger 2 kit compared to the SIG four 40?Goldberg Tiger 2 Kit
Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 AM
hrrcflyer

Spridal,

I think the Tiger 2 will suite you better. The Sig 4 star kits are very well cut and the instructions are top notch. My only concern is that you will not be happy with what you end up with. Don't get me wrong, the Sig 4 star is a great flying airplane, but it has allot if dihedral and a constant chord wing which may make it boring if you're familiar with flying low wing airplanes. While you are looking at kits, don't overlook the Ultrasport 40. It is a much, pardon the pun "sportier" that either the Tiger 2 or the Four star.

Regardless of which way you decide to go, good luck and welcome to the world of building.

David
Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 PM
prgonzalez

Spridal,

See if you can download the instruction manuals and peruse the building process of each model that catches your attention. You can see if your crafting skills will be challenged enough for you to stay and finish the building. The point is if the building is too complicated for your skills as of today, you might end up with an incomplete build and loose your interest in building.

My 2 cents.

Pedro
Old 08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
prgonzalez

Perhaps you can also consider the Top Flite Contender.

Pedro
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Spridal

Pedro,
I think you are right. I would like to end up with a nice plane after I am done but I want something that a true beginner can tackle.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Having built both models, the Ultrasport is much more difficult than the 4 Star...and is not a good choice for a first timer. The amount of sanding on the tail feathers and nose might be a little tedious and challenging for the first go around.

I agree that the Ultrasport is a superior flyer....but you can still have plenty of fun with the Four Star. I have been flying RC for 14 years and still love flying my 4 Star.

Get bored? Go lower. Try slow rolls at 6 feet off the ground....adrenaline will flow just fine. Tiger 2 or 4 Star are both great first builds. Have fun! Keep some Debonder around for when you glue your fingers together (I've done it many times...and an eyelid too!)

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Spridal

Itook a look at the Contender andIreally like it. However, I'm not sure it ifis somethingthat a newbie like me can tackle.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Spridal

As for the Four Star. Ihave a DLE 20cc engine and was wondering if the Four Star 60 is suitable for it.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM
prgonzalez

ORIGINAL: Spridal

I took a look at the Contender and I really like it. However, I'm not sure it if is something that a newbie like me can tackle.

The differences of building between the contender and 4* are the stab, fin, elevators, turttle deck, and nose. The contender also has optional flaps though. The rest of the building process is pretty much standard. Both are excellent models for 2nd airplane flying.

If you think the contender would be too much challenge for you, then go for what you feel more suitable. If you like it, I am sure you will go for a more challenging kit next time.

I agree with Artic, the ultrasport is too much for a first kit.

Pedro
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

As for the Four Star. I have a DLE 20cc engine and was wondering if the Four Star 60 is suitable for it.
It might be....I have never owned a 20cc gas motor but did run both a Saito 100 and a Super Tigre 75 on my 4 Star 60. The motor bay is not very wide on the 4 star and I'm not sure how wide a space you'd need.

With the big wing and light loading I can't see why it wouldn't take the added weight....if there is any. I imagine you could build a fairly heavy model that'd still fly well and slow down for landings.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Spridal

Looks like Iwould have to step up to the Four Star 120 if Iwanted to use the DLE20cc.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10.../anchor/tm.htm
Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

the DLE would shake a 4*60 apart unless you really build it tight and reinforce it well.  I fly a 4*120 ARF with the DLE20 and it is adequate power, not a knock your socks off rocket ship, but it performs nicely.

As far as a good first kit, Excellent choice. SIG makes really good kits, and the 4* is one of them. I built a Kadet LT40 and modified the wing to a bolt down, with a 2 degree dihedral, which is about 1", and converted to tail dragger, and it flies great, love the plane and it went together fast and clean.   The 4* is a blast to fly, I flip it spin it, toss it around the sky, fly inverted, snap rolls, and take out corn stalks with it.  A really fun plane. 
Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like I would have to step up to the Four Star 120 if I wanted to use the DLE20cc.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10.../anchor/tm.htm
I use the 4*60 as my teaching aid, using a 20cc/120 in it isn't the best idea I have heard of but I'm sure someone has ddecided to do it.
Because you are a hili pilot and been flying for 2 years the 4* anything may put you to sleep in no time at all. It is usually someones second plane to teach them basic low wing and stunf flying. Look for a kit of any 120 size plane if you want the DLE 20 that you like. By now you should know what you like. Building the plane isn't all that hard. If you want, look arounf=d for one of the $8 120 kits to build.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:30 PM
acdii

$8 Kits? Where can I find those?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right next to the 4 and 8 keys.
Kidding aside, at a club auction I picked up the Royal F4U Corsair Giant scale with spun aluminum cowl for $10.00. the CG Extra for $10.00, Super Sky Bolt for $10.00 and a couple of 40 size kits for $10.00. I was the only builder left in that club and I picked them all up for my opening bid. When it came time to bid on just wood it turned into a bidding war and I never left with a stick?? seems even ARF guys need wood for repairs.
If your into gliders I have a couple of kits here I will be selling soon. I do have a couple of big scale kits but the shipping cost removes all the fun from a good deal!! That and I hate boxing things up to ship!!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 AM
acdii

Damn dude, ifn I had known, I was in LV a few weeks back!  After I finish my P-51 this off season, my next project will be a Corsair.  After the flying I have done this year, I am now ready to take to the skies in the Stang, which is why it hasn't been finished yet, no hurry to get it airborne until I know I can handle it.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 AM
prgonzalez

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

... Kidding aside, at a club auction I picked up the Royal F4U Corsair Giant scale with spun aluminum cowl for $10.00. the CG Extra for $10.00, Super Sky Bolt for $10.00 and a couple of 40 size kits for $10.00. I was the only builder left in that club and I picked them all up for my opening bid. ....
Gene,

YOU ARE SO BLESSED!!!

Pedro
Old 08-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Spridal

ORIGINAL: acdii

the DLE would shake a 4*60 apart unless you really build it tight and reinforce it well. I fly a 4*120 ARF with the DLE20 and it is adequate power, not a knock your socks off rocket ship, but it performs nicely.

As far as a good first kit, Excellent choice. SIG makes really good kits, and the 4* is one of them. I built a Kadet LT40 and modified the wing to a bolt down, with a 2 degree dihedral, which is about 1", and converted to tail dragger, and it flies great, love the plane and it went together fast and clean. The 4* is a blast to fly, I flip it spin it, toss it around the sky, fly inverted, snap rolls, and take out corn stalks with it. A really fun plane.
acdii,
How well does the 4*120 hold up to the DLE20? What type of covering did you use? I'm really leaning towards the 4*120 since Ialready have the DLE20 but wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.