Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four Star 60 Plans

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four Star 60 Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Star 60 Plans

How do. Anyone know the dimensions of the four star 60 plans? I'm starting a new build and I want to build a new work table. Anyone ever tried gluing down rolled cork for the build surface? Maybe some ideas for that area? Thanks alot. Joe
Old 08-27-2012, 05:39 PM
k12rc

Default RE: Four Star 60 Plans

[Search users posts] [View My Models] Report | Rate post | Post #: 1

Page: [1] [Subscribe] Subscribe
[Reply to Message] All Forums >> RC Airplanes >> Kit Building >> Four Star 60 Plans
Page:
go to Lowes or home depo buy 2x4 ceiling tile glue or cut to fit table don't glue down when worn out throw out and put new piece down
Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
joescottsdale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am finishing up a 4 Star right now. The plans are 36" x 48".

I went to Home Depot and bought a 36" wide door. Then went to a local metal supply shop and got sheet metal which is attached to one side of the door. I use magnets and some homemade vises that attach to the sheet metal via magnets. I created my building board from plans on RC universe. It took some time and a little extra money, but I have a great building board that will last 4 years.

Try doing a search for magnetic building board. There is lots of info on them.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

Thanks so much for the reply. Didn't think the plans were so big. Have to build a bigger table. I love the idea of using magnets, however I don't understand how you place them on the parts to be glued. Anywhere online where I can research (i.e. what kind of magnets, cost, etc. Does the metal top eliminate the door from warping. I was planning to build a desk type cabinet with drawers on each side and double up 3/4 in. ply for the top. If I put metal on top of that it should stay flat forever. Thanks for any more info. Joe
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use any magnets. You use them to hold down wood, hold pieces upright, etc. i wouldn't think of building without them now.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:02 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: GTMUSTANGCS

Thanks so much for the reply. Didn't think the plans were so big. Have to build a bigger table. I love the idea of using magnets, however I don't understand how you place them on the parts to be glued. Anywhere online where I can research (i.e. what kind of magnets, cost, etc. Does the metal top eliminate the door from warping. I was planning to build a desk type cabinet with drawers on each side and double up 3/4 in. ply for the top. If I put metal on top of that it should stay flat forever. Thanks for any more info. Joe
Don't forget you can fold or cut the plans....I actually am having a hard time remembering an instance where I didn't have to do this. It is a luxury to be able to view the plans in their entirety, but not completely necessary.

The magnets might be used to "sandwich" a wing rib, or a spar or whatever.

The metal should stay flat provided it was flat to begin with. If you spend some time looking in the hardware store, you can usually come out with a nice flat door.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 AM
carrellh

There is a very good article on the Airfield Models site http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm that shows fixtures and techniques for holding things down.
The guy who runs the site sells the fixtures if you prefer to buy them instead of building them.