Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best Kits

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best Kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM
BillinIndiana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Kits

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, probably too much and I'm sure it is only based on opinions... But.. Who makes the best RC Kits? I tried a search with my subject title and couldn't find much..?

Right now some of you know I'm building the SIG MK II and this is my 1st kit. I'm having a good time building it and all, but its not really that challenging to put together.. There again I've only built one wing...haha. I'm using mostly Titebond , so I have just been taking my time and enjoying the build. You never know I might get stumped in the later steps though, we'll see ?

Anyways, I've already begun to have the " Which one next?" thoughts. So what Company should I go with? Top Flite? Another SIG? What?

Also, I'm not interested in opinions of what to build because of my lack of experience as a pilot.. I'm building a trainer for that purpose.. The next build I want to be more for the joy of building and a challenge. Once built it can wait on the shelf for when I get a little better flying.. I'm fine with that. So Please don't exclude any recommendations because you think I'll crash it.

Thanks for your opinions, Bill in Indiana
Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Best Kits

You'll probably get responses like mine, detailing out-of-production brands. 

Best I ever saw was Aerodrome from Saginaw, MI, IIRC. Gorgeous cutting and superb balsa. I have their 40-size Fly-Baby with mono and bipe wings awaiting a build session. [8D]
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you really want some challenging kits why not just go to the top of the market and pick up a Ziroli or Meister Scale warbird kit. If you want something that is going to challenge your building skills these will definitely do the trick.

Seriously though, just like flying these airplanes learning to build the kits is a skill that you start easy and progress upwards as your skills increase. Building something like a Meister Scale kit is for a very experienced builder. The instructions that come with it are very minimal because every builder has different ways of doing things and the instructions don't do any hand holding. But on the other hand a Sig, Great Planes, or Top Flite kit are designed for those that may not be as experienced. And just like learning to fly you start out building on easier kits and work your way up. If you are currently building a Sig Mark II I would think that the Sig Something Extra would be a great next kit for you to build. It will help you increase your building skills and will give you a plane that is just so much fun to fly it's hard to beat it. I've had 4 or 5 SSE's over the years and just have had a blast with all of them. In fact, the last one I built I did it during a 3 day power failure in our town and built the majority of it with no power tools. I opened the box on a Saturday morning and we had no power, but the time the power game back on Monday evening I had the plane built up, sanded, and ready to cover.

Anyway, I know you are anxious to dive and and tackle a challenging build, but don't bite off more than you can chew right now. That is one quick way to get a bad taste for the hobby and not want to build any more. 

Ken
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM
BillinIndiana

Uhhhgggggg !!!

Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM
eddieC

Proctor kits can build into works of art also.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:39 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: eddieC

How's that? What can you do to them to make them stand out?
I'll be sure to Google them here in a minute.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For a bit more challenging build and a sport model with which to learn some aerobatics consider the Vagabond from Bluejay Models (Joe Bridi design originally). I will be finishing my fifth one tonight. Excellent wood and parts fit.
Chuck
Old 08-31-2012, 03:50 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: R8893

For a bit more challenging build and a sport model with which to learn some aerobatics consider the Vagabond from Bluejay Models (Joe Bridi design originally). I will be finishing my fifth one tonight. Excellent wood and parts fit.
Chuck
5 of them huh ? Were you forced to make these decisions to keep building new ones? LOL ( crashes..?)
Old 08-31-2012, 03:56 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are lots of good kits at the 'next level' up from a trainer. Sig, Goldberg, Great Planes, even Tower has a few of their own brand. There are also lesser known makes, like Paul Swanson's 3D profiles.

If you are more into building than flying then maybe build something scale like the Sig 1/5th scale cub. If you want to build something to fly after you master your trainer then a sport model like the Sig Four Star, Mid Star or Goldberg Tiger, or for more of a builder's kit, the Great Planes Ultra Sport.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a good advanced model kit with great step by step instructions, I would consider a Top Flight kit

the P-47 is a great starter War bird it can be built with fixed gear, or if you want to challenge your self, install retractable landing gear the instructions go over the installation process on all the Top Flight planes in great detail, and have a check the box system that is nearly fool proof as long as you have some basic building skill and read ahead in the booklet so your not surprised by the upcoming steps you will end up with a nice looking and flying model in the 60 size range that has a authentic look to it.

another option in the same size range and era is a Skyshark kit they have several warbird kits that are nice looking there laser cut wood parts fit well, and make for a nice looking scale model when finished, there a little more expensive than the TF because there a smaller company, but they have a greater variety of different models to chose from

having some basic wood working skills really helps with any kit endeavor just make sure you chose a company that provides clear step by step instructions and you should be OK there are lots of build threads on RCU as well covering many brands and styles of kits
Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of other well known kits that good builds and great flyers:

Sig Kavalier
Sig Four Star 20, 40
Great Planes RV-4
Sig LT-40
Ultrasport 40, 60
Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 PM
eddieC

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/

Museum-quality scale, indeed some are on display. 

Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 PM
BillinIndiana

I would.... but I lack the space to store them.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 PM
adamle

I really enjoyed the Ultra Sport 60. There are a lot of different options: trike gear or tail dragger, retracts, flaps, dual aileron servos or one. It can handle a two or four stroke. I did mine with fully sheeted wings. 
The instructions are good. And it is very smooth flying plane. 
The build thread started by Minnflyer is as good as the manual. 

I have a proctor sopwith camel kit in the basement that will be my long term project. The manual for that one is about three pages. So I guess that is one major difference between some of the 'builder kits' and the rest of them. 

I agree with the posts suggesting the sig 4 star and something extra as far as great flying planes but they are not challenging to build unless you do some kit bashing.  By the way I fly my 4 star all the time. 

If you want to go a little further you could do a scratch build. 

I've always thought of this as two different hobbies. The building side and the flying side. It is absolutely wonderful to spend quite time meticulously building a plane. And is just as beautiful to see it break ground for the first time. Where else do two hobbies come together like this?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:55 PM
adamle

By the way Bill, you will always be asking yourself "Which one should I build next?" Always.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Top Flite warbirds are a great next step up from a basic SIG. SIG makes great kits, very easy to assemble and get in the air, but the TF warbirds are the kind you kit bash and modify big time with retracts, scale options, flaps, cockpits the works.  The GE P-51 I am building will be a B model, or maybe even an A. It will have full functioning wheel doors and tail wheel retract, and if I can figure them out, doors too.  Good second step up in building.  After one of these the Bluejay or plan kits are a good step up.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Just checked that site out, and that Jenny is looking REALLYgood.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: acdii

Just checked that site out, and that Jenny is looking REALLY good.

If you like it then don't over think it, just pull out that old credit card and go for it. If you build what you like you will be happy!! If you aren't having any problems with your build now then you should be OK with the Jenny, there isn't that much difference in the build, just a bit higher parts count. Any of the Ziroli warbirds should also be good for you. Again, it is just a higher parts count. Take a look and go for what you like and would be happy with.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 AM
ARUP

X2 You won't be sorry getting these! They aren't expensive at all when you consider the VALUE associated with them!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:45 AM
overbuild

Sig Astro Hog low wing version is a kit of oldstyle design. High parts count also some parts on sheets you cut out and finish sand.A great experience in honeingkit building skills. Also when built a really great flyer.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 AM
carrellh

Asking what’s best typically just spars the Chevy vs Ford debate since everyone has preferences that may be based on experience or just on hearsay.
A SIG Astro Hog http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC55.html is an older design that has a lot of parts to sand and carve
The GP Super Sportster 60 http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=GPMA0210&P=0 will be more challenging than the trainer but still pretty basic construction.

Their Corsair 40 http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=GPMA0177&P=0 is a non-scale model that has a challenging inverted gull wing

Top Flite Elder 40 http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=TOPA0215&P=0 has exposed trusswork that shows off the fit of the joints

You can see the manuals to all of these online to get an idea of what’s involved in the build.

Look at as many online manuals as you can. You may decide that one of the Top Flite scale models is perfect for you. They have good instructions and enough have been built that getting answers to questions should be pretty easy.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

After learning on the trainer. Why not try a Sig Kougar? Toned down they are real docile. Then you can dial them up and go ballistic. It will do almost anything. (and some stuff I have never seen before). They are a lot of fun. The equipment in your trainer will fly it nicely. Doing a foam core wing can advance your building skills. You can slow them right down to set them down gently. They are tough and durable and will take a beating. Properly built they are a real joy to fly and will last for years. They can handle the wind too.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 AM
littlera

I have to agree with eddieC at least in part. Just last month I finally found an Aerodrome kit of the Stinson 108. Had been looking for a few years, until one appeared on RCU for sale. They have a reputation for being beautiful kits, and I must agree.

My other favorite is the old line of Pilot kits from the 70s and 80s out of Japan. Unfortunately the factory burned down about 20 years ago, and they never rebounded, at least in their original form. They had amazing parts fit, and it was done with die cutting, not lasers. The only down side was the weight of the finished planes, which tended to be a bit high, especially for the 25 size planes. Build the 25 size PT-19 a couple of years ago, and it does fly well despite the weight.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Smashmaster

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

Uhhhgggggg !!!

Old 09-01-2012, 09:20 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Smashmaster

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

Uhhhgggggg !!!

Not understanding your Uhhhgggggg. What are you Uhhhggggggging at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.