Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 AM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Boy my RCUniverse went squirrely a little while ago.... I lost a bunch of stuff....Anyway....I just weighed my Tiger 60 it weighes 8 .8 lbs I thought it might be more because it has had one major repair from a dead stick I had at just the wrong time...I broke poor Tiger in half . I was sure glad I had a fus jig ...It made fixing it much easier . I came close to having a bad boo boo last week end....I was assembeling My Tiger, putting the wing bolts in and I got distracted by a buddy asking for help ...I didnt finish tightening my wing bolts, they were still out about 1/2'' when I came back I fueled up and went for a fly...I wasent feeling well so I cut it short and when I was taxing in I noticed a gap between my wing and the wing saddle...I feel quite stupid for endangering my friends by not doing a proper pre flight...I do not deserve my Tiger...It is so easy to get distracted and miss somthing....

it happens. i am rebuilding a funtana 40 that almost hit me, my son, and another flyer in the back of the head.

seems it was due to the hobby king switch. not as good as the MPI or electrodynamics.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Frankie b

Out of stock everywhere, seems like ARF chinese factory for all brands is out of bussiness. [&o]
Old 09-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Frankie b

Looks like Tower Hobbies the way to go ......
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: Frankie b

Looks like Tower Hobbies the way to go ......

they are very reliable.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 AM
mrshea
My Feedback: (2)

just thought i would post some pics of my tiger 2 . Been flying it all season and it has took a beating but it is tough and just keeps on going. Was thinkin about selling it but i've decided to keep it. Anyways pics of my tiger. Mrshea#9

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58695.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1806335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40726.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1806336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41115.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1806337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76391.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1806338  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Another nice color scheme, well done!

Bill S.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM
jkr_1100

Yes very nice colors. it looks very clean.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got to take my Tiger out for a spin Friday. The engine is still breaking in so I only flew it around doing turns and a loop or two to see how the engine is breaking in.

In the turns the plan flew very straight and level. Loved it.

I forgot to take a picture of the dash. I have a VoltMagic and a red led light showing my ignition is armed. I used a Tech Aero IBEC on a A123 battery.

Have a great day.

Name:	By76657.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1806848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64776.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1806849  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Computermonkey,
What engine are you using on that Tiger and do you like it?

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 AM
computermonkey

It is a Webra P5-91i. Runs around half an ounce a minute in gas. So far has been a good engine with plenty of power for the plane. The plane bounced right on the money with this engine. I do not have an all up weight yet.

See post of the engine
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._3/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

It is a Webra P5-91i. Runs around half an ounce a minute in gas. So far has been a good engine with plenty of power for the plane. The plane bounced right on the money with this engine. I do not have an all up weight yet.

See post of the engine

many people would initially think this would be "too much" for this plane. but look at this balance. balances right on the money with a larger engine.

I present this question to the group. why balance using dead weight? why not install the necessary weight in the form of a larger power plant.

warning. this line of thinking may lead to fun.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 AM
computermonkey

JKR 1100

My thought exactly. I was going to use the OS 61fx that I bought with the plane, but after reading through the thread and a review I decided to use the trophy queen that has been setting on the shelf for awhile. Glad I did.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkr_1100
See post of the engine
many people would initially think this would be "too much" for this plane. but look at this balance. balances right on the money with a larger engine.
I present this question to the group. why balance using dead weight? why not install the necessary weight in the form of a larger power plant.
You have a throttle on the engine, so you can throttle it back as needed. If the plane is balancing out OK, then go for it. Using a larger and heavier engine seems to be better than having to add a lot of lead weight to get the CG out. At least the extra weight is useful.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: earlwb

See post of the engine
many people would initially think this would be ''too much'' for this plane. but look at this balance. balances right on the money with a larger engine.
You have a throttle on the engine, so you can throttle it back as needed. If the plane is balancing out OK, then go for it. Using a larger and heavier engine seems to be better than having to add a lot of lead weight to get the CG out. At least the extra weight is useful.

Earl , Well said. especially on gasoline and 4stroke engines. they dont mind crusing around at partial throttle.

my experience with nitro 2 strokes is that they tend to "load up" on partial throttle settings.

for example when going around after an approach it is sometimes necessary to burp the 2 strokes to ensure they wil throttle back up.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM
jkr_1100

no more comments for club tiger i suppose. perhaps we have exhausted every idea?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Hope not!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:08 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

I am finishing up an Ace 4-40, then starting on my Tiger, and will start submitting construction pictures. There were a few kits started, hopefully everyone keeps up!
ED
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no more comments for club tiger i suppose. perhaps we have exhausted every idea?
With over a dozen pages already, this club is obviously a great idea. Hard to suggest more and your topic serves as a general gathering point for Tiger information and interest. Many categories such as:

-Which version to buy or build.
-Fueled Engine choices.
-Electric power choices.
-Building and covering.
-CG Balancing.
-Design issues. (like balance on gear.)
-Modifications. (dual ailerons, TD versions, twins, speed brakes, tails, flaps, etc.)
-Flying
-Sharing experiences, stories, videos.

Like a good club, any member can pop in with a question or a story. I've really enjoyed seeing the photos and I'm looking forward to getting the runway done so I can get my Tiger 2 flying regularly again. Can't risk my baby on what I have at the moment. All I can say about this is good job #1 on starting an excellent thread with great people.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

I found these pictures on my pc and I had forgotten about this. Here are some pictures of what my friend and Icalled an Ultra Tiger. It is a Sky Tiger fuse from the original Goldberg kit and the wing from a GP Ultra Sport.I believe it is the wing from a 60 size Ultra Sport.. This was done in the summer of 2007.

My friend of gave me theseto dispose of for him as he had crashed both airplanes. The Sky Tiger fuse survived with some minimal damage and the Ultra Sport wing survived with some minor damage. Just messing around I stuck the wing on the fuse and it almost fit. From what I remember when checking out the wing and tail incidence, the CG, and throws on both planes the incidence for the wing and tail was exactly the same. The Ultra Sport throws werea little more but not much and the CG was really close. So my friend and I decided to see if we could get this combo to work.

Very little trimming was needed to make the wing fit into the saddle which I did.I gave him both the fuse and the wingto make the repairs. I gave them to him as he became seriously ill and I thought it would give him something to doinstead of laying around doing nothing. He did make all the repairs as he really wanted to see if this would fly.I covered it when he gave it back to me.

She came out looking pretty good when she was all finished up, balanced, and ready to fly. But unfortunately shenever got maidened as my friend had passed away before we could get it in the air.We were going to try a couple of times but he was too weak to get out of bed let alone go to the field to fly.

So I gave the plane to his son to hang in his basement as he wanted something to remember his dadby. Since both the wing and fuse was his and this was the last thing he worked on Igave it to him.So we will never know how it would haveflown but here are some pictures of the finished plane.

Name:	Rp44462.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	1809366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13694.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	1809367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51162.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	1809368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27483.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	1809369  
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
jkr_1100

Looks very nice. I am glad to see more posts.

I like the story and idea of the ultratiger.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM
thailazer

Thought I would list the mods to my Tiger 2:

Built up wing tips. (Balsa blocks were not in the kit so had to roll my own.)
Bent back gear. (Solves the design problem where the gear are too far forward.)
Duel aileron servos. (I had flutter at high speeds.)
Tail skid. (For those aggressive soft field take-offs!)
Wing strike plates. (For those not-so-perfect landings.)
Removable tail assembly.
Mooney style tail.

I've never built a sport plane without a removable tail as I want to re-use the tail structure if possible. 4-40 screws and blind nuts are plenty strong for these sizes. Two screws in front, and one in the back with the blind nut buried under the vertical fin. (A hole in the bottom of the fuse allows feeding in the allen screw and tightening it.)

Name:	Xv65057.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1809991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79422.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1809992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35206.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1809993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf95769.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1809994  
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM
jkr_1100

I like the Mooney style tail. very much the signature design feature of the mooney itself. if not for the tail you could mistake it for a bonanza. kudos on that. few have the guts to make such a radical departure change to a kit.

nice colors too
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM
SteveMuzzleflash

2 months into R/C flying I've graduated from foamy trainers to my first nitro. I got lucky and it wasa Tiger!
Lucky because Ibought it used off a well-known online site for trading/selling and was worried on my way home I had made a mistake by acquiring this.
Aside from the fact that Ihave to fit it into a small car and the fear that I would destroy it on its first flight, Inow know that I did the right thing.
Everything I've flownup to that point was simple and electric.
So I spent a month going over her to make sure she was flight worthy. The gentleman I got her from had never flown her.
Wow. He has no idea what he was missing.
I now know that Idid the right thing.
I love the heck out of flying that thing!

So then my only remaining concern was thatmy plane is bright pink! All Ikeep thinking is that I"m going to recover her and make her checkerboard and give it a modern look. But when Igot her up in the sky and saw how effective that bright pink was Isettled in and learned to love it.

What a great flying plane! I'm too new to R/C flying to make comparisons to everythingout there but this one worked out for me. All my other planes are flat-bottom wings and this one is symmetrical. Ihad little difficulty with the transition. Ifind the rudder to be less effective because the wings don't dip on the tiger. But she'll knife-edge across the entire sky like its nothing. As of this post I've had10 flights with her.I've just gone through my first gallon of nitro and all of it was on a tiger.

This was my first post on this forum. Long time listener, first time caller.

-Steve
Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM
SteveMuzzleflash

Ithink Ifigured out how to post pics:

Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Glad to hear it is working out, all,of Goldberg's planes fly excellent, I trained on the eagle 63.  There is a lot of potential in the covering, you could add some graphics to break it up a little, but it looks good as is

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.