Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

psmith36, I'm building a Tiger 2 from plans right now to mount the Evo 10cc gas engine on. I'm thinking it will be a good match. Making a few changes to the airplane though, mostly stuff I've learned about from reading this thread. Hope to have it finished in 2-3 weeks. RS
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkr_1100

It would probably be great. I don't have any experience with this engine. If it runs well I bet the Tiger 2 would fly very well with it.

I have a lead on a Tiger 120. I am trying to get the airframe, I think I have an engine that will go on it and fly it well.

I have a turbine that would make it fly like a missile !
Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought I'd list my Tiger 2 mods as I think I missed a couple earlier:

-Reduced dehederal.
-Dual aileron servos. (Had severe flutter problem with the long aileron torque arms.)
-Built-up wing tips. (Kit came sans balsa blocks)
-Wing tip skids. (Helps out on those "not-so-expert" flights!)
-Swept back main gear. (Solves the design problem with the gear being too far forward and the plane sits on its tail.)
-Detachable Mooney style tail.
-Nyrod Tail skid. (I like aggressive take offs and landings.)

Had a good day flying yesterday and getting used to the Tiger again after being away from it for a while. Forgot how slow this thing can fly on the approach.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 AM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell us about your spotter. He seems to be ever present while flying.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
thailazer

That's Stormy the airport security dog. He likes to have his nose in everything I do, but I usually put him in the house when I fly. When I am in the shop, he seems to have an opinion on anything I am doing and luckily hasn't developed an appetite for balsa, although he will chew on anything else. He is only 5 months old, rescued from the mountains, but is already a devoted little chunk. The Tiger is his favorite airplane.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tovio nice looking dog, last one I saw here just ate someons plans. What beautiful weather your having, what is it summer there,? and it's so green, pretty country as I see it. Must be nice being able to fly, wish I could.

Later, Leroy
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: thailazer

That's Stormy the airport security dog. He likes to have his nose in everything I do, but I usually put him in the house when I fly. When I am in the shop, he seems to have an opinion on anything I am doing and luckily hasn't developed an appetite for balsa, although he will chew on anything else. He is only 5 months old, rescued from the mountains, but is already a devoted little chunk. The Tiger is his favorite airplane.

He is a very noble looking dog. He seems to be trying to tell us something.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I mentioned some months ago that my brother and I were planning to build a couple of Tigers that are specifically designed for 30cc gas engines particularly the Syssa 180. Well, after weeks of calcutations and cussing and discussing, we settled on a 92inch design. We've got the planes framed up and are ready to start installing equipment. They should be ready for first flights sometime around the end of February. Any one interested in pictures?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Sure!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

yep ,any plans on selling the plans for that size tiger
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: Red Raider

I mentioned some months ago that my brother and I were planning to build a couple of Tigers that are specifically designed for 30cc gas engines particularly the Syssa 180. Well, after weeks of calcutations and cussing and discussing, we settled on a 92inch design. We've got the planes framed up and are ready to start installing equipment. They should be ready for first flights sometime around the end of February. Any one interested in pictures?

positively, the more the better. this is awesome. that would make my day

I am trying to get my hands on a Tiger 120 currently.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM
thailazer

ORIGINAL: Leroy Gardner

Tovio nice looking dog, last one I saw here just ate someons plans. What beautiful weather your having, what is it summer there,? and it's so green, pretty country as I see it. Must be nice being able to fly, wish I could.

Later, Leroy
Thanks for the comments all. So far Stormy hasn't eaten anything important as he seems pretty picky about how I do things. It is winter season here so the mornings are about 50 degrees and it hits 80-85 in the afternoon. We usually have 5 very dry months but the past week has been rainy and windy. Cleared up now so tomorrow will be a Tiger day.

Also... Would love to see some photos of big Tigers. Super Tigers? Jumbo Tigers? Monster Tigers? Whatever it is it sounds like a great idea for a gasser. Leroy's ship is looking beautiful with that DLE up front.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Leroy Gardner

"Thank you Toivo", for some of you who don't venture from here you should at least see it, I don't expect someone to comment on it thow and thats ok. A larger version of this bird would be intresting and I'm sure others would build it.

Mine is in the finishing stages and covering has been ordered along with wheel pants, wing tips is whats left to build. You will see it when it's finished here too.

For those intrested in cowling see it here: www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11366450/tm.htm The build: www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11326847/tm.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19231.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1846893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92797.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1846894  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hii
i love this plane so much i order another one today from tower hobby free shipping 20 dollars off 130.00 delviered, cant bet that on this one, i going to add to the tail feathers and ailerons to get more control when doing tricks ,rye
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Red Raider

Here's some pictures before we actually started framing it up.

Name:	Yv66252.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1848010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70454.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1848011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37192.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1848012  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Red Raider

I'll post some others of the frame work this evening. It's going together pretty well, but as I stated in an earlier post, the plans and the parts don't match. It isn't a problem except that we've had to redraw and re-cut some of the pieces. Also, there's no pre-cut aileron blanks the size we needed so we had to laminate pieces together and sand off everything that doesn't look like an aileron. Lot of work, and takes a lot of time to get them symmetrical. BUT, should start installing equipment tonight and order the carbon control rods later this evening.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
thailazer

I'll post some others of the frame work this evening. It's going together pretty well, but as I stated in an earlier post, the plans and the parts don't match. It isn't a problem except that we've had to redraw and re-cut some of the pieces. Also, there's no pre-cut aileron blanks the size we needed so we had to laminate pieces together and sand off everything that doesn't look like an aileron. Lot of work, and takes a lot of time to get them symmetrical. BUT, should start installing equipment tonight and order the carbon control rods later this evening.
Red Raider... How far off are the parts and plans? Plans do tend to have some variability and I remember some of that with my Tiger 2 build. Laser cutting is usually fairly good with the plan printing and paper aging causing variability.

Sorry to hear they forgot to include the aileron blanks. Sounds like a good but dusty solution! Have fun.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Leroy Gardner

Here's some pictures before we actually started framing it up.
Red how come you cut the tabs from ribs, their there to aid in alignment and prevent building a twist in your wing, ?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Red Raider

I don't think the tabs aren't shown on the plans. They are a good tool for the kits and quite frankly would be good to use on the scratch build as well. But, we compensated for that by measuring and pinning a piece of straight balsa to the building board under the trailing end of the ribs. Then, with the spars in place, we weighted down the ribs so that they were all in contact with this piece. Holding them down, we glued the spars in place. You have to be careful to make sure the ends of the ribs line up correctly. Doing it this way, ours did. The other key to this step is make sure that the piece you're using for the trailing edge is straight. You cannot bend it and glue into position and expect it to stay straight. It will translate any curvature directly to the ribs.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Red Raider

They're not terribly off. Mostly it's the size of the tabs and slots. The biggest issue was that with each adjustment that Goldberg did from the Tiger 2 up to the Tiger 120, they used the same ratios. So using their numbers, you come up with either a 96 or 98 inch wingspan (I don't remember exactly). Using my calculations and the data for a 30cc size engine, we needed to keep it down to 92 inches. That's an increase of 132% over the 60 size plans. When John took the numbers and plans to the copy shop, he also took a tape measure. Good thinking on his part!! At 132% the wingspan was off. He wound up at 127% on one sheet, and something slightly different on the other. He stayed there until they got it right. Wound up costing almost $70!! After that, it's really been pretty easy to make the adjustments. I'm pretty sure we kept an uncut copy of the plans. Would you like for me to see how much it would cost to another set made?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Red Raider

Here's a copy of the 2 orders that I made to National Balsa for the wood. This is enough for 2 airplanes. Believe it or not, if you're using a scroll saw to cut out the pieces like I did, it's just as easy to cut 2 as it is to cut 1. Get with a buddy and share the work and the wood. It's great having my brother work with me. We have a blast and working together you have someone else to blame stuff on!!!

Total cost including shipping was $248.32.
Hope this helps.

2 of : 1/2x2x36 balsa wood

5 of : 1/2X2X48 TRAILING EDGE

2 of : 3/32x4x48 balsa wood

3 of : 3/4x1x48 balsa wood

1 of : 3/8 x 12 x 12 birch ply

8 of : 1/2 x 1/2 x 48 basswood stick

6 of : 1/2x3x24 balsa wood

6 of : 1/2x3x36 balsa wood

8 of : 1/8 x 12 x 48 lite ply

4 of : 2 x 2 x 18 balsa block (you only need 2 of these if you can cut them in half on a 45 degree angle)

8 of : 3/32x2x48 balsa wood

12 of : 3/32x3/8x48 balsa wood

12 of : 3/32x3x24 balsa wood

8 of : 3/32x4x48 balsa wood

5 of : 3/4x3/4x48 balsa wood

1 of : 3/8 x 12 x 12 birch ply

Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
grumman-cats

well for the most part, my boys plane is finished. I haven't installed the canopy as of yet becouse I need one for mine so I may need his as a mold. Still looking to find one for sale. anyway here are a couple of pics of it. He's been facinated with WWII airplanes of late so we decided on a bit of a flying tiger type design so here it is.

Name:	Ge94166.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1848513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92760.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1848514  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: grumman-cats

well for the most part, my boys plane is finished. I haven't installed the canopy as of yet becouse I need one for mine so I may need his as a mold. Still looking to find one for sale. anyway here are a couple of pics of it. He's been facinated with WWII airplanes of late so we decided on a bit of a flying tiger type design so here it is.
That is cool, good to see someone do something different. There have been some that shrank a plastic pop bottle over a wood former with a heat gun for a cowl, don't know if you could make a canopy the same way, sounds intresting as it's a fairly simple in design.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 AM
thailazer

Spent the late afternoon enjoying stellar blue sky and no wind by wringing out the Tiger. Snap rolls and wild yaw throws were the name of the game today. Flying was great but the landings seemed to kick up stones so a few minor holes to repair. The next Tiger will have a fully sheeted horizontal stab, fuse bottom, and wings. Stormy liked the wild snap rolls but at the end of the day he had seen enough.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 AM
jkr_1100

They're not terribly off. Mostly it's the size of the tabs and slots. The biggest issue was that with each adjustment that Goldberg did from the Tiger 2 up to the Tiger 120, they used the same ratios. So using their numbers, you come up with either a 96 or 98 inch wingspan (I don't remember exactly). Using my calculations and the data for a 30cc size engine, we needed to keep it down to 92 inches. That's an increase of 132% over the 60 size plans. When John took the numbers and plans to the copy shop, he also took a tape measure. Good thinking on his part!! At 132% the wingspan was off. He wound up at 127% on one sheet, and something slightly different on the other. He stayed there until they got it right. Wound up costing almost $70!! After that, it's really been pretty easy to make the adjustments. I'm pretty sure we kept an uncut copy of the plans. Would you like for me to see how much it would cost to another set made?

I would like to get two sets of these plans from you. Would you look into it to see how much it will cost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.