Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

Thank You for the compliments, Some of the guys in the club plow a spot on one of the lakes and fly off of that, But I would rather spend time in the shop than put up with 0 degrees and cold hands. I have two other planes I plan on finishing before Spring.

If any body is interested in getting the Tiger decals let me know, I also have a new wing kit for the 60 size Tiger with full plans, would be an easy way to bash one.

Ed
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 AM
bikerbc

Hi Ed if you are thinking about Bashing a Tiger you might want to think about hooking up with Leroys build ...You have the ribbs already and thats one of the most tedious parts of scratch building . Having a sceond Tiger that was changed to be your Tiger would be pretty cool..Looks to me like you have the skill and with a little help (two heads are better than one ) who knows what you could come up with...just thinkin....
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: nh4clo4

Unfortunately our field is under snow, I'm just trying to get a head start on building. for Spring.

I atatched an updated picture, at first i didn't care for the scheme, but now tha I got the orange and white on, and the pants painted, I am pretty happy with it, the bottom is solid yellow.

Just need to hook up throttle, fuel tank, and mount the switch, receiver ,battery.
Came out at 8.00 pounds and it looks like it will balance without any added weight.

ED
Ed you built a great looking plane, nice covering job and the decals look good on it and the wheel pants, well they give the sport look that should set it off in the air. Pretty cool
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought a partially completed Spitifire kit and the fuse is crooked enough that I'll never build it up. The wings however look to be a good fit into the Tiger 2 fuse, making it a Tiger Spit. With six inches less span and that tapered wing, I think snap rolls are going to show a definite faster onset. Don't know when I will get around to this, but it is an intriguing idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83177.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1829815  
Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM
bikerbc

You just might have something there...I am presently building Two Spits..96 " span and about 20" at the root... What size is yours? 56" ? And what is the root ? I can't rember how many times over the years that different wings have ended up on my planes..Usually the result of close encounter with the ground...I wish I had kept track of how they flew..I know one of the nicesest was a uglystick wing with no dihedral on a Tiger...But I had a genuine aileron failure and lost it..Could have brought it home with the rudder but panic set in...Something dosent look quite rite with the scale on your wing , maybe it the way the pic it taken or maybe its just me..seems like it should be wider at the root...Wasent there a group of volenteer Spit piolts in WW2 that called themselves the flying Tigers?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 PM
sgu

Hi All,I just finished reading all 22 pages and want to join the club. I bought my first Tiger 2 used and it was my trainer. I was able to repair it after several spectacular crashes until I started getting too confident with inverted passes and "pulled up." So, the second tiger will be my first build. I am converting it to a tailwheel (like the last one) and adding individual aileron servos.

I'm finding out that I'm a sloppy builder and end up repairing my own damage as I go, but it's fun just the same.

Here are a few pics...

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51113.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	1830589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98865.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1830590  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 PM
nh4clo4

Lookin good. You can always sand out mistakes Welcome to the club JKR will get you a number.
ED
Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got tired of waiting for my tax refund for my amended tax return from Uncle Sam which is slated for runway work so I broke out my Tiger 2 today for the first time in over a year. Found one aileron hinge corroded (nylon with steel pin) causing limited deflection but got that sorted quickly. Took off and had some mixture problems to sort out but enjoyed the day. I have to say though that I forgot how to get it slow enough for landing and bounced all but one. I think I was psyched out a bit after nicking a fence post at the approach end of the runway with the beater the other day so was hotter and higher than I should have been. Biggest observation of the day was how you guys manage to fly the Tiger 2 with those big engines. With my 35AX I only use full throttle on take-off and on up lines. Turns into a rocket if it is kept fire-walled the whole time. Even with the wind today it was good to get the Tiger back up in the air.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Leroy Gardner

Biker they were'nt flying Spitfires they were flying P-40 war hawks and that was in China during the early part of WWII.

Toivo maybe you should go cut that post off or paint it with some bright color. Those wings will not look good on a Tiger but if you decide to do that you may want to concider shorting the tail some, other words bash it a bit. Just a thought.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 PM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: sgu

Hi All, I just finished reading all 22 pages and want to join the club. I bought my first Tiger 2 used and it was my trainer. I was able to repair it after several spectacular crashes until I started getting too confident with inverted passes and ''pulled up.'' So, the second tiger will be my first build. I am converting it to a tailwheel (like the last one) and adding individual aileron servos.

I'm finding out that I'm a sloppy builder and end up repairing my own damage as I go, but it's fun just the same.

Here are a few pics...

Dave

welcome aboard. I will get you a club number soon, how about now

sgu #54
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: thailazer

Got tired of waiting for my tax refund for my amended tax return from Uncle Sam which is slated for runway work so I broke out my Tiger 2 today for the first time in over a year. Found one aileron hinge corroded (nylon with steel pin) causing limited deflection but got that sorted quickly. Took off and had some mixture problems to sort out but enjoyed the day. I have to say though that I forgot how to get it slow enough for landing and bounced all but one. I think I was psyched out a bit after nicking a fence post at the approach end of the runway with the beater the other day so was hotter and higher than I should have been. Biggest observation of the day was how you guys manage to fly the Tiger 2 with those big engines. With my 35AX I only use full throttle on take-off and on up lines. Turns into a rocket if it is kept fire-walled the whole time. Even with the wind today it was good to get the Tiger back up in the air.
I buried the plane yesterday. the Tiger2 with the Saito 125 on it. lost radio link for some reason. it was soo sweet, i was really having a good time with it in between rain squalls.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:18 PM
nh4clo4

Thats too bad, Probably wasn't much left..  I do have a 60 size wing kit and plans, it would be easy to replace.  

The year before a club member was going to do a low inverted pass, and accidentally pulled up, It was a nice Tiger 60.

ED
Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM
GAToland

I would like to join the club as well, I'm building a Tiger 60 right now and it is my first build, just have the horizontal stab put together so far and I've had the kit for a couple of months. Only because the weather has been so nice that I have been trying to get as much flying done before the bad weather started, (its here now) So it will be time to get back to the Tiger.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkr_1100

I buried the plane yesterday. the Tiger2 with the Saito 125 on it. lost radio link for some reason. it was soo sweet, i was really having a good time with it in between rain squalls.

Did the Saito survive?

My Tigers are collecting dust.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: GAToland

I would like to join the club as well, I'm building a Tiger 60 right now and it is my first build, just have the horizontal stab put together so far and I've had the kit for a couple of months. Only because the weather has been so nice that I have been trying to get as much flying done before the bad weather started, (its here now) So it will be time to get back to the Tiger.

your application for membership has been accepted.

GAToland #55
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
sgu

sgu #54
Thanks, I'll save a space on my tail for "Goldberg Tiger Club #54"

Dave
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Did the Saito survive?

My Tigers are collecting dust.

Saito looks fine. ground was very wet and soft.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: sgu

sgu #54
Thanks, I'll save a space on my tail for ''Goldberg Tiger Club #54''

Dave

that would be very cool, send us a pic when you set that up.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 AM
bikerbc

Thanks Leroy You are rite they were P 40's
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Thanks Leroy You are rite they were P 40's
Ken the leader of that bunch was Pappy (Greg) Boyington, he was the Babe Ruth of the skies over China in them days and lived to tell about it. He's from here and his name is added to the Coeurd'Alene-Haden, Pappy Boyington Airport in his honor. You probably seen the movie ,The Flying Tigers with John Wayne staring in it, well thats him, a real hell raiser. Those guys were paid $500 for each Jap shot down.

Hows the Spits. coming along.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 AM
grumman-cats

interesting little group you guys got going on. I picked up a tiger 2 kit for my 8 year old son off ebay and I'm in the process of building his and I cloned everything to build one for me. Got alot of things happening right now. I bought a new house with 13 acres so I'm building a runway out back so I wanted something a little slower and easier to fly to get used to my surroundings. I'm building mine all out of balsa so it is a little lighter. I made flaps and wider ailerons on the wings. In the middle of covering mine right now. the boys is for the most part done, just needs to be sanded and covered. I'm a big fan of the eagle so I'm hoping the tiger will fly well too. Don't have any pics yet but will post if I get some.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 AM
sgu

The tiger was my first R/C airplane. It makes a great trainer with excellent slow flight, just the right amount of dihedral, and no bad habits. The solid balsa wingtips (at least on the .40) can really take a beating and it glides great when the engine quits. But, unlike the standard trainer, the Tiger never gets boring and is fairly acrobatic.

If it's not too late, you might want to make yours a tailwheel for your son to train on when he gets good with the trike.

Dave

Edit: I just realized you didn't say it would be a trainer per se. I assumed because your son is eight he was just starting out but either way the Tiger 2 is a fun plane.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: grumman-cats

interesting little group you guys got going on. I picked up a tiger 2 kit for my 8 year old son off ebay and I'm in the process of building his and I cloned everything to build one for me. Got alot of things happening right now. I bought a new house with 13 acres so I'm building a runway out back so I wanted something a little slower and easier to fly to get used to my surroundings. I'm building mine all out of balsa so it is a little lighter. I made flaps and wider ailerons on the wings. In the middle of covering mine right now. the boys is for the most part done, just needs to be sanded and covered. I'm a big fan of the eagle so I'm hoping the tiger will fly well too. Don't have any pics yet but will post if I get some.

sounds good. A Friend of mine lives in Leslie, his name is Jeff Edmonds, I used to work with him years ago.

grumman-cats #56
Old 12-23-2012, 04:43 PM
grumman-cats

my boy has flown a high wing but the ailerons have been difficult for him to get as of yet. I'm hoping this airplane will be a little smoother but also will allow him to grow with it quicker. It's like anything really, once you get it, you get it. this airplane will allow him to advance a little faster.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: grumman-cats

my boy has flown a high wing but the ailerons have been difficult for him to get as of yet. I'm hoping this airplane will be a little smoother but also will allow him to grow with it quicker. It's like anything really, once you get it, you get it. this airplane will allow him to advance a little faster.
He will appreciate , someday, that you started him out with a real Cadillac of an airplane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.