Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

Hey Minnreefer - There's no opting out. Mine looks like hammered hockey, but I'm still going to put it out there for everyone to see, We have a saying "if you can't see the details inverted at 80mph, 100 feet in the air, it don't matter"!!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 PM
grumman-cats

Here's a couple photo's of my pair of tigers. Mine is almost done. got the flaps extended in the last one. The wing came out really well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82504.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1861384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77898.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1861385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92703.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1861386  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 PM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

Looks great. When do they fly?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM
grumman-cats

well I've got a couple of issues with that, #1 I need another canopy so if anyone has one I'm in the market, otherwise I'll have to make a mold and make some myself. #2 were suppose to get another 2" of snow tonight. I'm not much of a cold weather flyer. tried it, don't recommend it. the white one still needs the electronics added but the camo one is ready all except the canopy.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:59 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: grumman-cats

well I've got a couple of issues with that, #1 I need another canopy so if anyone has one I'm in the market, otherwise I'll have to make a mold and make some myself. #2 were suppose to get another 2'' of snow tonight. I'm not much of a cold weather flyer. tried it, don't recommend it. the white one still needs the electronics added but the camo one is ready all except the canopy.
If you download the manual on the Tower site, there is an address in there where you can order a canopy. Might be worth a shot to get those nice Tigers flying.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXYXF7&P=8[/link]
Old 03-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am making slow progress on my tiger, here are a few pictures, of my retracts, my slightly enlarged rudder and a couple other photos. I received my muffler for my webra 55 the other day, so I can start making my cowl.

I can't seem to be able to post photos that are not upside down ((

Name:	Wp41396.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1862352  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 PM
thailazer

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

I am making slow progress on my tiger, here are a few pictures, of my retracts, my slightly enlarged rudder and a couple other photos. I received my muffler for my webra 55 the other day, so I can start making my cowl.

Those fit in nicely. What brand and model of retracts are you using?

You might want to file a flat spot where the axles attach to the strut so you can torque the axles on tightly. Have seen many of those fittings twist on landing.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Minnreefer

I am actually using cheap hobby king ones, I am a little worried, but they seem to be strong enough, but I figure for $8.00 a piece, I can't go too wrong. I already filed flat spots on them, and the wheels fit nicely into the leading edge area and when extended, they are slightly in front of the leading edge.

Jon
Old 03-16-2013, 04:17 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I had a "jr tiger" as my second airplane back in early 80's. I loved that thing. As heavy as it became from all the fixing I had to do to it, it still flew well. Then I got the "sky tiger" and for a while had both to take to the field. Then the "jr" ended it life one day & all I had was the bigger one. Well one evening another aircraft wanted to fly in the same air space that my sky tiger was using & it ended the life of both planes that day. That was in the later 80's. Here we are in 2013 & I finally get to fly one again. This thread was a big help in my decision to get another "tiger" built & flying. I am putting flaps on it like I had on my old one years ago. Thanks to all in this thread for reviving all my fond memories of this plane. And for lightening my wallet a little too. lol.

Name:	Xu62735.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1862661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33956.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1862662  
Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 AM
jkr_1100

MILDBILL-RCU #58

Nice work. did you cut all the pieces from homemade templates, or plans? how did you get started on that plane?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 AM
jkr_1100

nice retracts, Please keep us informed as this comes together. I would love to see the finished wing with these installed.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:16 AM
thailazer

ORIGINAL: MILDBILL-RCU

I had a ''jr tiger'' as my second airplane back in early 80's. I loved that thing. As heavy as it became from all the fixing I had to do to it, it still flew well. Then I got the ''sky tiger'' and for a while had both to take to the field. Then the ''jr'' ended it life one day & all I had was the bigger one. Well one evening another aircraft wanted to fly in the same air space that my sky tiger was using & it ended the life of both planes that day. That was in the later 80's. Here we are in 2013 & I finally get to fly one again. This thread was a big help in my decision to get another ''tiger'' built & flying. I am putting flaps on it like I had on my old one years ago. Thanks to all in this thread for reviving all my fond memories of this plane. And for lightening my wallet a little too. lol.
Nice shop there and I see you have built up wing tips. Did your kit come with the tip blocks missing like mine did?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I had bought the Goldberg "tiger 60" kit that is available now through the hobby shops & over the internet. I took all the pieces out of there die cut sheets & reproduced each piece that I needed for the build. Things like the servo mounts, landing gear blocks, nose gear mount, etc. I have on hand. I also have plenty of landing gear wires from 30 + years in this hobby. I did not have any 1 3/8 triangle stock to make the wing tips & didn't feel like making my own from sheets, so built up tips was the easy choice. The fuse is 3/16 balsa all around. With 3/16 doubler's around wing opening & firewall areas.(didn't want to waste my lite ply) After all, this is not a 3-d aircraft & will not be flown like it. I made my own leading & trailing edges for the wing. 3/8 hardwood spar's, ply brace at wing center, & all the ribs are 3/32 with 3/32 sheeting & cap strips. 1/8 ply doubler's for the landing gear ribs. This plane will fly slow as is right out of the box, but with flaps, it is almost scary how slow you can fly it across the field with full control. I order'd another canopy from Goldberg so as it sits now, I still have a complete kit sitting in its box for another one later, or to sell. I got the kit from the "big brown kit delivery truck" on Thurs. Feb. 28th, & opened the box on Sat. Mar. 2 to begin making all the pieces. I am hoping to fly it this Wed. Thanks for the kind words on the shop. Just an unused bedroom.

Name:	Lj22943.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1862775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73219.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1862776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60995.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1862777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91922.jpg
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1862778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95624.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1862779  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAPPY EASTER FROM THE EASTER BULLDOG CLOEPATRA!

Name:	Pn37156.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1867928  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Crazy4Flight

this is what the Easter Bulldog brought me.

Name:	Ki20197.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1868381  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 AM
warningshot

Hope this thread  is not dead. I  was just given a crashed Tiger 2 to rebuild. Has some wing damage and  some fuselage damage. I am looking for a set of plans . Can someone point me in the right direction please? Also are there any build threads?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: warningshot

Hope this thread is not dead. I was just given a crashed Tiger 2 to rebuild. Has some wing damage and some fuselage damage. I am looking for a set of plans . Can someone point me in the right direction please? Also are there any build threads?
I think you can still buy an original set of plans, otherwise, I have a set of the 40 size that I can copy and send. I also just got done building the 40 size, but I made templates of some sort of most or all of the building pieces.

Jon
Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
warningshot

PM sent

ORIGINAL: warningshot

Hope this thread is not dead. I was just given a crashed Tiger 2 to rebuild. Has some wing damage and some fuselage damage. I am looking for a set of plans . Can someone point me in the right direction please? Also are there any build threads?
I think you can still buy an original set of plans, otherwise, I have a set of the 40 size that I can copy and send. I also just got done building the 40 size, but I made templates of some sort of most or all of the building pieces.

Jon
Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
grumman-cats

Well I called tower hobbies and they have canopies for $26+shipping. I barely have that invested in the airplane. anyway I decided that I will be pulling my own so I got out my trusty auto body filler "aka bondo" and started filling the existing canopy with it. once this dry's I will finish filling it with expandable foam then I will finish the outside and then pull a new one over it. I know it's probably been done several times on these websites but I'll show the process none the less.

Name:	Pn37271.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1875655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68989.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1875656  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
jkr_1100

This is great. I have used formula 500 glue to fix them also
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: jkr_1100

I would like to start a club for the Goldberg Tiger, Tiger2, Tiger60, and all other variants that have been issued over the years. I hope that we have some Tiger lovers that would like to join. I love all the Carl Goldberg models that i have flown, and would like to pay tribute to the tiger in particular.
Sign me up. I am starting a rebuild of a crashed Tiger 2. Hope to have pictures soon.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM
thailazer

Well I called tower hobbies and they have canopies for $26+shipping. I barely have that invested in the airplane. anyway I decided that I will be pulling my own so I got out my trusty auto body filler ''aka bondo'' and started filling the existing canopy with it. once this dry's I will finish filling it with expandable foam then I will finish the outside and then pull a new one over it. I know it's probably been done several times on these websites but I'll show the process none the less.
26 bucks for a little piece of plastic? That is expensive. Looking forward to your first pull there!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: thailazer

Well I called tower hobbies and they have canopies for $26+shipping. I barely have that invested in the airplane. anyway I decided that I will be pulling my own so I got out my trusty auto body filler ''aka bondo'' and started filling the existing canopy with it. once this dry's I will finish filling it with expandable foam then I will finish the outside and then pull a new one over it. I know it's probably been done several times on these websites but I'll show the process none the less.
26 bucks for a little piece of plastic? That is expensive. Looking forward to your first pull there!
1) its Goldberg
2) tower stocks them....

but if you make your own with thicker plastic you get a better part.
and then you may have several tiger flyers wanting one too.

the Nitroplanes Falcon 120 has many turbine conversions flying, and a guy in Texas makes and sells a replacement canopy for $10.00 and it fits better and is thicker (stronger) too.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM
grumman-cats

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: thailazer

1) its Goldberg
2) tower stocks them....

but if you make your own with thicker plastic you get a better part.
and then you may have several tiger flyers wanting one too.

the Nitroplanes Falcon 120 has many turbine conversions flying, and a guy in Texas makes and sells a replacement canopy for $10.00 and it fits better and is thicker (stronger) too.

Really:

1) goldberg is greatplanes now
2) all part of hobbico the last I heard
3) just trying to bring some information to the masses.
4) who's the guy in texas
Old 04-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Crazy4Flight

he makes the canopy for the falcon 120.

in ther jet forum look up falcon 120...i bought one years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.