Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW - now you have 2 number 32s.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Red Raider

Originally Posted by James West
Greetings Tiger Team,

I would like to build my Tiger 2 as a tail dragger with retracts. I am sure someone has already done this. Any good pointers before I start? I am building the Tiger from a kit.

Thanks,

JW
I've done this mod. I used mechanical retracts to save weight. Be sure to move them closer to the leading edge so that the plane will sit on the tail wheel. I may still have the retracts. Send me a pm if you want them and I'll look for them.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:25 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to have a Tiger 60 with an MDS 62 on it. I loved that plane and was learning pattern aerobatics with it. The only plane I never crashed!
However, I think these clubs are stupid so don't sign me up.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Red Raider

I'm glad not everyone thinks like RG, otherwise there would be no sharing of info or getting to know modelers with our similar interests. In the arena of sharing info, later today I'm going to post some pictures of my gas powered Tiger. My brother drew the plans and parts from the original 60 size plane. He talked to the folks at Goldberg about providing interested modelers copies. They don't have a problem with it. Also, copyright law has a 10% variance rule. If the new version varies from the original by a factor of greater than 10%, then there is no violation. So we're good both ways.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by thailazer
Haven't been able to contact jkr_1100 and haven't seen him active for two months. Looking back, it appears that turz got his member number of 60 in post number 689 so we can proceed from there. I will build a table of all the member numbers as I have time to go back through every post.

Here are your GoldbergTiger Club Member Numbers for those requesting them after number 60. If you don't have a member number yet or if I missed your post, please request on this thread.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD] Club Member Number
[/TD]
[TD] RCU User Name
[/TD]
[TD] Post # of Request
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 12%"] 61
[/TD]
[TD="width: 55%"] Warningshot
[/TD]
[TD="width: 33%"] 710
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 12%"] 62
[/TD]
[TD="width: 55%"] mtthwacrss
[/TD]
[TD="width: 33%"] 711
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 12%"] 63
[/TD]
[TD="width: 55%"] NeroZero
[/TD]
[TD="width: 33%"] 731
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 12%"] 64
[/TD]
[TD="width: 55%"] Mtthwacrss
[/TD]
[TD="width: 33%"] 734
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 12%"] 65
[/TD]
[TD="width: 55%"] jerod
[/TD]
[TD="width: 33%"] 737
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

jkr_1100 can take over again if he returns but I am willing to keep it going as this has been a nice thread with great contributors.
Thank you for taking over the number assigning.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Raider
BTW - now you have 2 number 32s.
Red Raider, good catch! Man, I must have had target fixation on that one! How about we make you #67 there Red Raider? Thank You for your patience as we get this finalized.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM
jerod

Hi all, I am in need of a wing kit for a Tigre II .40.......
Thanx

Last edited by jerod; 01-03-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: where to enter #
Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Sgt. Meyer

Hey, Tiger drivers. I have been lurking here for some time. I have a partially built Jr. Tiger hanging on my wall. I bought it sometime around 1985 with birthday money from my mother-in-law. I got it out late in '92 thinking I would have time to build it that winter. I got everything built and ready to cover, and I had to put it up. I have been dragging it around with me through three moves, and I think I now have time to get back to it.

I had no idea what I was getting when I bought it. I have read and heard a lot about Tigers since then, and I think I picked out a classic.

I've been reading all your posts about building and flying and "bashing," and i think I'll finish this according to the plan.

I'd like a number, please. I still don't have a lot of time to build, but maybe I can get it finished in a couple of months.

Steve.

Last edited by Sgt. Meyer; 01-03-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Whatever hit it sure took care of that wing! Wow! Sounds like you have some chilly weather there better for building than flying.
hi
it was the only light pole at the field ,was having trouble with a old os 60 kept dieing on climb out, i fix it smash the hole side and crack the head of the motor ,fix it lol as for the chipmucks that was two months later my boys were flying fomation and the white one had a servo failure on the motor and when full open and cut into the yellow and green one which flip it and cut him in half it was the best crash i ever seen
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Red Raider

Red Raider, good catch! Man, I must have had target fixation on that one! How about we make you #67 there Red Raider? Thank You for your patience as we get this finalized.
I went from number 16 to number 32, now I'm down to #67. Careful, you're about to give me a complex.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 AM
Phoenixangel

Default count me in

My first kit was a tiger 2 . It is my favorite plane to this day. Count me in.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Red Raider

Here's another reply to a pm that I wanted to share with everyone in the "club". This is about the 30cc size Tiger that my brother designed.

Hey, Rye: the issues that came up were difficult to resolve. The tail was so heavy that I had to add 29 ounces to the firewall. Almost 2 pounds!!! It resulted in a nose gear issue that caused steering problems. Also, a smooth, main gear landing would end up in a broken prop when I eased off the elevator to let the nose gear settle down.

thats the bad news. Good news is I think its fixed. I cut the tail off, both horizontal and vertical. I cut out all of the solid pieces leaving only a 5/8th edge all the way around. Then I used 1/2 x 1/8 carbon fiber rods to build ribs to add the strength back into the structure. I was able to take 9 ounces off the tail and 28 1/2 ounces off the nose. That's over 2 pounds!! Now instead of being balanced at what we calculated to be the absolute most rearward position possible, I was able to move it forward 1/4 inch.

not being an aeronautics engineer I can't say this with any authority, but I believe that as we scale up a plane like the Tiger with a very long fuselage moment, that weight distribution scales at some exponential factor while dimensions move on a linear basis. I learned this the old fashioned way - trial and error.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 AM
rye

That's cool if you do another would you be able to shorten the length of the plane to solve that trouble
Old 01-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Red Raider

We talked about that, and about lengthening the nose in front of the leading edge. Decided that we like the Tiger the way it is, both from looks and in regards to the flight characteristics. Change it up too much and it's not a Tiger anymore. Besides, I believe that the issues have been resolved. Now we just need to get some decent weather to go do the maiden #2.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM
rye

Sounds good I didn't see the frist flight did u get it on video
Old 01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by Sgt. Meyer
Hey, Tiger drivers. I have been lurking here for some time. I have a partially built Jr. Tiger hanging on my wall. I bought it sometime around 1985 with birthday money from my mother-in-law. I got it out late in '92 thinking I would have time to build it that winter. I got everything built and ready to cover, and I had to put it up. I have been dragging it around with me through three moves, and I think I now have time to get back to it.

I had no idea what I was getting when I bought it. I have read and heard a lot about Tigers since then, and I think I picked out a classic.

I've been reading all your posts about building and flying and "bashing," and i think I'll finish this according to the plan.

I'd like a number, please. I still don't have a lot of time to build, but maybe I can get it finished in a couple of months.

Steve.
Welcome Steve. Sgt. Meyer is #68.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:54 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by Phoenixangel
My first kit was a tiger 2 . It is my favorite plane to this day. Count me in.
Phoenixangel, you are #69
Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by Red Raider
I'm glad not everyone thinks like RG, otherwise there would be no sharing of info or getting to know modelers with our similar interests. In the arena of sharing info, later today I'm going to post some pictures of my gas powered Tiger. My brother drew the plans and parts from the original 60 size plane. He talked to the folks at Goldberg about providing interested modelers copies. They don't have a problem with it. Also, copyright law has a 10% variance rule. If the new version varies from the original by a factor of greater than 10%, then there is no violation. So we're good both ways.
Red Raider, that is good to know. If anyone has a .pdf file of the 60 size Tiger or a modified larger one, please send me a PM. I've been stacking up balsa to build a bigger one.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:34 PM
tony0707

Count me in
i rebuilt a 60 tiger2 that a friend put in
The light ply fuse did very much impress me as a great design ,as it keep the airframe very rigid ,which is a major factor in a good ,fast flying airframe ,to keep it flying on rails ,and take some abuse
I have a Webra 61 completion speed with a replacement webra carb, never could get the dynamic carb to work as it should
Strongest 61,two cycle engine I have owned in 23 years building and flying ,a lot of planes
Easy to like the way the Tiger2 flys, a very forgiving ,fun flyer
Do fly one for an enjoyable experience
Old 01-04-2014, 06:32 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by tony0707
Count me in
i rebuilt a 60 tiger2 that a friend put in
The light ply fuse did very much impress me as a great design ,as it keep the airframe very rigid ,which is a major factor in a good ,fast flying airframe ,to keep it flying on rails ,and take some abuse
I have a Webra 61 completion speed with a replacement webra carb, never could get the dynamic carb to work as it should
Strongest 61,two cycle engine I have owned in 23 years building and flying ,a lot of planes
Easy to like the way the Tiger2 flys, a very forgiving ,fun flyer
Do fly one for an enjoyable experience
Welcome aboard tony0707. You are #70 via post 770. Looks like seven is your lucky number!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:48 AM
thailazer

Looks like my Tiger might be down for a while. Was flying today and my power surging/mixture hunting problem came back. Appears that my front bearing is shot. Here is a thread I started over on the Glow Engine forum to try to get some advice, so please chime in there.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...l#post11702924
Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Red Raider

Red Raider, that is good to know. If anyone has a .pdf file of the 60 size Tiger or a modified larger one, please send me a PM. I've been stacking up balsa to build a bigger one.
Hey, Thai:
We didn't make any computer files, we scaled up the dimensions by hand and then took the plans to a copier center. We gave them the dimensions and after a few trials, they came up with a set of plans that we built from. John drew several sheets of parts and we went to work. We had to make some changes along the way, and probably still need to make a few to eliminate some scaling problems that we just fixed as we were cutting out the parts. It's really not a hard project once you get the plans right.

the issue is the canopy!!!! No one makes one that size. So we had to learn how to do that and build our own vacuum forming equipment. We did and now have 3-4 spares. We finally got to where we could turn out some pretty decent canopies.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 PM
rye

Hey red
I WAnt to know if you are going to offer a set of plans and canopy to us tiger nuts,rye
Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Red Raider

We're not going to go in the business of producing plans and canopies. But, if 3-4 guys want the plans and canopies, we might make a "production run". It won't be cheap - it cost us about $65 for one set of plans, and we have to buy the plastic for the canopies in 4' x 8' sheets. So, we can't afford to do just one. We'll see if there's any interest.
Steve
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
rye

I am in I'll be the frist who's next? Can you do a pdf file so we can have the printer place like copymax load it there? That will save on printing and shipping?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.