Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I once took my Sky tiger off with the ailerons reversed. Generally, this is catastrophe! But I stayed calm, and thought about what I was doing. I was able to complete a circuit of the field and land, with no damage. I give credit to the plane!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can give credit to the plane if you want but that is quite an accomplishment . I managed it years ago doing a maiden on a friends plane . It hadn't been properly preflighted . I can,t remember what kind of plane . Anyway somebody yelled for me to use the rudder so I did . It wobbled all over the place and I barely got it back but did make it . After it was over my knees started knocking . I am usually able to keep my cool in a crisis but after its over it hits me . I was glad I recognized what was wrong right away and let the guys beside me know because without their help I doubt I would have made it .Reversed ailerons are almost always a recipe for disaster . I was almost a newby back then and probably had faster reflexes .
Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 PM
bikerbc

jkr_1100 how did you make out with your 1/4 Scale Sig Cub with the Saito 180 . I have a 1/4 Scale Sig Cub with a OS fs120 in it and I love it . It's one of my favorite planes . I might build another one . I built a BUSA one but its not as easy to put together at the field .It has a Gemini twin in it .

Last edited by bikerbc; 11-17-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-18-2014, 01:00 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Golberg retracts were indeed nylon and mechanical sized for a 40 sized low wing plane in the 80's They came in a triangular box with a hacked servo that operated to the up or down position through a pair of micro switches. You were supposed to put a bump on your throttle cable that would hit the up switch with full throttle and full throttle trim. The switch would power the servo (2 AA batteries) and the gear came up Then the bump would hit the down switch at idle and mid throttle trim to power the servo to put the gear down. My Dad had them mounted on a test board but never put them in a plane.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:05 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Thanks Major Tomski for letting me know I'm not ready for the laughing academy yet! I had a Jack Stafford P-51D kit in a .40 size that i remembered buying Goldberg retracts to use in it but I never completed the model before I quit the hobby when I got married and started a family. I haven't ever seen that kit again or found anything on it at all. I must be the only one who bought one.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:10 PM
vertical grimmace

Unfortunately, after all of these years, I have since taken 2 other airplanes off with the ailerons reversed, and both resulted in a very quick and hard inverted landing! I have to give a lot of the credit to the Sky tiger, and the fact I was only 16 yo at the time. Young mental clarity helped for sure.

I suppose to complete the story of that Sky Tiger, I had installed the wing with rubber bands. For some reason one day I only put on enough to hold the wing on, planning to add the rest later. Big mistake! During a high speed pass, with only a couple of #64 bands on it, the wing came off and the fuse became a cruise missile. That is how my Sky tiger met it's demise. 1986-1991 RIP. It was an important plane for me. Maybe one day I will have another.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:46 PM
bikerbc

I did splatter one float plane ,when I took off with the ailerons reversed . Just a nice smooth lift off then a slight roll with a incorrect control input and a sudden full speed dive into the drink . I did not do a proper preflight . I had a buddy trying to set up a few things for me on my radio like throttle cut off and rudder aileron mix and somehow I ended up with reversed ailerons . It is the Pilots responsibility to ensure that the plane is safe to fly and I did not do my job . A preflight is very important . I try to do a proper preflight every time .
Old 11-25-2014, 04:19 PM
lonestoner

Does anyone happen to know if there is right thrust built into the the tiger 2 firewall ?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lonestoner
Does anyone happen to know if there is right thrust built into the the tiger 2 firewall ?
Just checked the plan with a right angle gauge and it appears the firewall is 90 degrees to the centerline of the fuselage. The plan calls for a 2 degree offset which you can usually achieve with the play in the engine mounting holes. If not, shim the left side engine mount with a thin washer.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger 2 Snout.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	2050110  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Calvinman

Hi lonestoner, I believe (on my tiger anyway) the motor mount plate is cut at an angle

If you are using a standard motor mount you can use Ernst thrust shims, they come in a pack of four I believe/

Calvi

Name:	T2motormt.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	2050115  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
The original Sky Tiger, was an Eagle 63 turned upside down to be a low wing. So essentially it was a low wing trainer. I built one in 1985. With a 63" wing, it is a .60 sized airplane. The New Tiger 2 models are different, and that is when they made them a .45 and a .60 size. The .60 deluxe had a retract version. These aircraft came long after Carl had passed. Goldberg did have plastic resin retractable gear sets long ago. They were mechanical, I have no personal experience with them.

While adding retracts would add some weight, I find it hard to believe the extra weight would effect the already super low wing loading of the Tiger series. I wonder what exactly that little extra weight did to the performance? It had to land faster? Retracts are a tricky beast, but in a setup like this, they can be very user friendly. Robart makes a set that are spring down, so if you lose air, they come down automatically. The only issues I have had with this set of retracts is a servo issue with the valve. Nothing to do with the retracts themselves. I personally do not think retracts are worth it on a sport model such as this, but they can be fun to play with, and good practice for that warbird you always wanted!
I have to strongly disagree with those stating that adding retracts ruined the design. I built mine from the deluxe kit made it electric powered, and have thousands of trouble free flights with never a gear issue! Some of those guys that have gear issues, always will no matter what brand they use. I would always add retracts to any plane that could fit them in to clean up the plane in flight. It is a nice flying plane either way but IMHO much better with retracts.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:58 PM
bikerbc

There is 2 degrees of right thrust built into the fuse of the Tigers ..
Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Ron Stahl
I have to strongly disagree with those stating that adding retracts ruined the design. I built mine from the deluxe kit made it electric powered, and have thousands of trouble free flights with never a gear issue! Some of those guys that have gear issues, always will no matter what brand they use. I would always add retracts to any plane that could fit them in to clean up the plane in flight. It is a nice flying plane either way but IMHO much better with retracts.
I took the comments about adding retracts taking away from the flight performance, as about the added weight and wing loading not making it as much fun to fly. My point is that the airplane is so light out of the gate, that I could not see how retracts would take away from the design.
Now having problems getting retracts to be reliable are a whole other issue. Experience is key here. I think adding retracts to a Sky tiger is a great idea. But this is just my opinion.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 AM
lonestoner

Ok, thanks bikerbc
Old 11-26-2014, 05:21 PM
bikerbc

I made a mistake , the fuse sides are interchangeable . I usually put my engines in upright and what I do is sight down thru the cooling fins on the head and look at the tail . What I look for is to be off set just a bit to the right . You can usually get enough in the motor mount before you drill the holes to mount it and if you already have you can put a shim behind the one side .
Old 11-26-2014, 06:45 PM
lonestoner

Ok no probe,i will post a pic when ready
Old 12-01-2014, 05:35 PM
lonestoner

Fellow tiger brotherhood and rcu peeps, please let me introduce my new tiger 2 kit newly finished, powered with an old school thunder tiger pro 46 and Futaba radio equip.as you can see its a tail dragger ,
Stoner.

Name:	WIN_20141201_202253.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	888.7 KB
ID:	2051504  
Old 12-01-2014, 09:33 PM
hairy46

Looks great! These birds fly so well, for sure is a go too for me.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Major tomski
Your description of the Golberg retract system was on the mark but is descriptive of the earlier days, I still use them and a 180 degree servo properly adjusted works great. and I feel confident in saying not many flyers out there would notice the difference in performance of the bird except for the improved roll rate. and good looks of the bird with the gear up. (IMHO)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 AM
vertical grimmace

Yah, retracts are more about looks than anything else, generally.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Nice looking bird Lonestoner! Are the the stars a decal or are you that good at painting/cutting plastic?
Old 12-02-2014, 02:12 PM
lonestoner

The star of David is made up from pieces of white cut monokote,then I used a AAA sticker to add small strips of chrome .
Old 12-04-2014, 05:21 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little clarification on my post with respect to the Deluxe version of the Tiger 60.

I'd like to make it clear that my comments apply ONLY to the Goldberg kitted and released "Deluxe" version. Before Paul's death the company had been on a roll with some absolutely fantastic designs.

The Deluxe release appeared to be a last shot at getting more mileage out of the Tiger. They didn't even bother to redesign the plans or the instruction manual, They just tossed in an addenddum:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/gbg/gbga0062-manual.pdf

All I know is that I loved the stock tiger and expected more from CG inc when they added retracts. Instead I got a plane that had a 'cool' factor of retracts but performance, because of the weight of the gear provided IN THE KIT, its performance was no where near that of the stock airplane with the same ST 91 engine.

That is just my opinion
Old 12-04-2014, 07:53 AM
bikerbc

That has been my experience too . They are just not worth messing around with in a sport plane . I will save mine for a scale show plane .
Old 12-04-2014, 01:46 PM
mustangherb

I intend to use the ones in my kit, as I would like to gain experience of using retracts. I would like to say that I do like hearing all the different takes from people in the forum. As a tool maker I use to work with some very talented machinist and each has his own way to machining the same part, but each equally as well as the other. I guess what I am saying is that people like doing the same things with different approaches, but neither is actually wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.