Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

MEN Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

MEN Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM
gojino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MEN Trainer

I am trying to build a MEN Trainer, I have the plans and the booklet, but no parts. What I cannot find is what is the correct dihedral for this model, a drawing for the wing joiner and a template for the correct angle of the root airfoil. I also want to convert this model to electric. I had one of these planes back in the late 1970's and it was fun to fly, very forgiving and simple, it has an undercambered airfoil. Any information or even if someone has a kit sitting forlornly in their attic I would like to tak to you.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: MEN Trainer

I remember that plane from back in the day, I even have the training book they RCM sold on this build. Do you remember if this info your looking for was included in that book? I will have to go look for it
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM
gojino

I believe I have everything that came with the original kit as far as the booklet and plans, but the plans do not show the dihedral or the wing joiner, I assume this was included in the parts and I guess they figured no one would ever have to rebuild or replace the parts. I plan on making one, it is a slow process for me looking for all the information. I just thought maybe someone might have one kit sitting around and wanted to part with it or would trace the parts out of the kit that I need. The instruction book was quite clear about how to build and fly but I could not find any reference of dihedral angle or anything I could use to figure out what the joiner looked like.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this model... Being 3 channel it had quite a bit of dihedral. The ribs were aslo undercambered.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Which size MEN Trainer? I recently sold a Trainer 20 kit. Send me your email address and I'll forward it to the buyer to see if he's willing to help out.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a differenece between the Trainer 20 and the MEN trainer. The trainer 20 is a trike gear and the MEN trainer looks like the PT trainer series of planes except as a tail dragger
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The one I sold was the MEN Trainer, 58", .15~.20 engine. I believe there was also a 40 size version....
Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 PM
gojino

The Men trainer I had was powered by a Fox 25, and it flew very well, I just want to build another one I really liked the way it flew and I wanted to have something relaxing to fly at the field. So if you can get me intouch with someone who has a kit for sale I would love to talk to them.

Gene
[email protected]
Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM
KitBuilder

I could swear i came across a kit cutter who had the rights but now cant find it.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Stykit

I got one at a yard sale. 58" wingspan. It had been crashed and I had to rebuild the wing. I also am looking for plans for this plane as I have nothing to go by. I have looked for kits but they are hard to find. I found a kit at a yard sale and half the parts were missing or damaged. Plans were not in the kit so I passed on that one. Plus they wanted 75 for it. Not a very good deal. Any help with getting full size plans would be greatly appreciated. Willing to pay for them... Thank You
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM
gojino

I did find some plans and a complete kit, but the plans are not as helpful as you would think, there are no bulkhead drawings or any of the wing joiners are shown. I had to find a kit to come up with the information. I am planning on building this one soon so I will document the plans and parts and let you know what happens. Stay in touch.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM
KitBuilder

I had an enya .19 in mine.. more than enough power.. with that light wing loading and undercamber she'd float forever.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM
rc lifer

gojino, I have a complete Men Trainer kit, the 58" one. If you need any info or a copy of the plans/parts let me know. I have never flown one yet, but look forward to it some day. I have wondered about the ability of that highly under-cambered airfoil to penetrate in breezy conditions. If you would let know how yours flew back in the day.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM
gojino

Thank you for the offer, I have a kit and hope to build it this year if I can ever clear some space for it. I remember a little about the plane when I first flew my first one back in 1977. It flew well and landed even better. The one thing I do remember is that it is a floater on landing so you have to set up early to land because it will travel a long way with the motor off. I was at the beginning of my skills so I could not Wring it out and give you any feedback on it. I do recommend you document the bulkheads and joiners and all the angles in the setups so if you damage you plane you can make replacements. The plans do not show much information it is bet to be prepared.