Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bent wire landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bent wire landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bent wire landing gear

With the help of a big vise and some 5/32 wire, a small hand held torch and some wire and solder it took about two hours to bend this landing gear. I used some 3/32 to add in the cross members to attach a heavy spring to give them a suspension, I could have just added a couple of hooks soldered on to attach rubber bands too. Very easy to make and they are wide enough to remove any ground handling problems encountered. These gear just pull out of the fuse so floats can be added, it takes about 10 minutes to go from a float plane to a land plane.
Both types will have a fairing or skirt that will be added for looks. Maybe even wheel pants? I have a couple pair under the bench.
Something like this also works well on a Cub and being wide will remove that ground looping problem people encounter.
The wires are held together with wire then soldered, just good old 60/40 solder is needed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15744.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1801837   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44526.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1801838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82557.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1801839  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Bent wire landing gear

Any special reason why the cross member wires for the spring are not equal in length or you just ran out of wire You know that I'm playing with you...right ????

Karol
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 PM
karolh

GB, I forgot to mention, very good soldering job there.

Karol
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 AM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great GB! Love the look of that plane.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just cockeyed. One of my days of not being one with perfection, I'll hide it all behind some wood!! Leave it to you to spot that little problem/mistake. I promise to do better on the other set, plane #1 is getting all my mistakes. Well, not all of them but most! I'm about sick of working on them and in a hurry to finish all the little crap. My thumb is hurting from wrapping the wire so #2 will wait until tomorrow for it's land gear.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:59 PM
karolh

I'm quite sure that when it's all finished there won't be anything out of place to the naked eye. You GB are a true modeller in every sense of the word, and I do hope that you continue to enjoy what you do for a long time yet.

Karol