Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Another Eindecker build

I'm watching.

Unfortunately I never finished mine. Long story.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93..._1/key_/tm.htm
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #1
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary,

I had read your build thread before starting this one. I sort of wondered what happened. I will have to look through the posts in your thread. Someone posted a pic of an Eindecker and I really like the look of the cowl, cheeks and forward fuse on that one. Have to figure out how that was done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I got the most of the rest of the shaping and sanding done on the leading edge of the wing. What remains will be done prior to covering. The top of the leading edge came beveled, so that cut down on the sanding. Now it's time to build the fuselage/cockpit above the wing center section. I hope to get a good bit of work done on the model this weekend. There is a hurricane moving up along the Atlantic coast of Florida. We won't have any real bad weather here, but it will likely be to windy to fly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz78480.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1814813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nj25542.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	1814814  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the upper forward fuselage framed up and glued to the wing top. Didn't get as much done tonight as I hoped. My high school football team was on TV, and I had to watch. By the way, they are ranked #1 in the country. Manatee Hurricanes. Go Canes!

Name:	Hf98030.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	1815122  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess this is the story of my life. I didn't get as much done this weekend as I hoped. I did however, finish getting the wing fitted to the fuselage and got the forward sheeting on the fuse and sanded. It's a pretty good fit. Next I'll be installing the mounts for the aileron servos, and I need to go ahead and order an engine. I have not figured out how to break that one to my wife. Her birthday is this week and I did get her nice presents. That should help. I could not help myself, so I put the wheels on the eindecker for today's pictures.

Name:	If10758.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	1815680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu65438.jpg 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	1815681  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Before you go any further, make sure you have clearance betweent he front cockpit edge and the screwdriver holes underneath. I just followed the plans with the shape of the front cockpit opening and it sometimes becomes a chore to get a straight screw driver down that deep hole and on the screw head. I wish they made nylon bolts with cross point driver slots. An extra 1/8 inch off the curve of the front of the cockpit would have made this easier. AND once you have it flying a bit of tape over these big holes keeps the bolts from disappearing when the wing is off and in transit to the field.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6
    Kadet LT 40 Brotherhood #98

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've gotten the aileron servo mounts built. Fortunately, I had a spare servo laying around so I could get them cut and fit correctly. Should have the rest of the servos I need later this week. Next chore is mounting the control horns on the ailerons and building the linkages.

Major, I did check on access for the wing bolts. It's close, but works. I'm using hex head nylon bolts. I hate those slotted ones that came with the kit. A nut driver makes assembly quick and easy.

Oh, almost forgot. I ordered my engine:

http://www.topdawgaviation.com/Engin.../22cc/22cc.php

Name:	Ur52475.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	1816076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ws56414.jpg 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	1816077  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I installed the aileron control horns and their mounts. I've never done it quite this way before. I will have to pick up some long servo arms for the aileron servos. Also, I built one of the aileron control linkages. My LHS recommended Stay Brite silver solder. I had never used that product, but now I'm a believer. Next step is to cut the ailerons from the wings and fit hinges for the ailerons. Oh, I sheeted the rear of the cockpit. Tomorrow is my wife's birthday, so probably no building.

Name:	Pm35164.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	1816353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89844.jpg 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1816354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo29857.jpg 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	1816355  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go ahead right now and add mechanical aileron differential to what you've got there. Move your servo output arm one gear tooth forward of straight up neutral on both servos. You'll still need a bit of rudder to stop the adverse yaw. I believe I used the Dubro long arm set on my futaba servos.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD668&P=ML
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got only a little done today. Seperated the ailerons from the wing and sanded a few things. I need to install, but not glue, the aileron hinges. I'm not sure how to mark the lines for installing the hinges. They are installed at wierd angles and near the top of the aileron. Have to think about it a bit.

Major, I didn't realize this model suffered from adverse yaw that much. I guess the flat bottom airfoil should have been a clue.

Name:	Nl29614.jpg 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	1816709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27944.jpg 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	1816710  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll be flying at a warbird event here in OKC Saturday I'll try to get some video for you showing how much there is even WITH the above differential.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the ailerons hinged. I measured the hinge line on the trailing edge of the wing from the plans. Cut slots and installed hinges in the trailing edge. Then I pressed the ailerons into the trailing edge until the hinges made marks in the ailerons. Instant hinge cut lines. It's late and I did not read ahead, but I think it's back to working on the fuselage from here. My engine arrived today. I will have to have the muffler modified for an inverted mount. Fortunately, a club member has a machine shop and has offered to perform that chore.

Name:	Wu59913.jpg 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	1816997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy80100.jpg 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	1816998  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Started building the stabilizer and elevator today. I will probably finish those and start on fin and rudder tomorrow. My solartex arrived. BUSA recommended 4 2 meter rolls, so I ordered one 10 meter roll. Same price and gives me a bit more in case I screw something up and a little bit to experiment painting on. I got the linen color. I've decided on a color scheme. Not real original, but I like it.

Name:	Jh16529.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	1817365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez81898.jpg 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	1817366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ty66516.jpg 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	1817367  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stab and elevator complete. It took more time that I planned. What's new? There was a lot of cutting, fitting and sanding involved. My wife is upset about the coat of balsa dust on her car. Car wash time. I always clean the garage before I start covering a plane, and it really needs a cleaning. I punched out the die cut fin and rudder parts and will get started on that tomorrow.

Speaking of covering: Does anyone know how to acheive the sort of swirrled look of the cowling and cheeks on the eindecker? It's not a typical brush swirl. I attached a photo of what I'm talking about.

Name:	Qo38672.jpg 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	1817650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx76789.jpg 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	1817651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di11193.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	1817652  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wold add some balsa backing to the exposed CA Hinge so there is more to secure it beside the LE edge of the aileron and TE of the wing. Nice job on the ail servo mounts.. most will just let them hang out the bottom.
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's a great article out there on how to do the machine turned finish on the cowl using 600 MPH aluminum tape. I'll hunt it down tomorrow.

You may consider adding the fiberglass replacement cowl for your bird now. My stock kit one is starting to fall apart after only one year.

The video to do the engine turning is on the SR battery site with their true 1/4 scale E-III:

http://www.srbatteries.com/mtech/alum/mt_alu.htm

Spitfire Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fin and rudder assembled, but not hinged and sanded. This is the only part of the kit that I have not been real happy with. The curved leading and trailing edges of the fin and rudder are made of 1/8 inch die cut balsa. Two identical pieces are glued together to make a 1/4 inch section of fin or rudder. These sections are then edge glued to form the leading and trailing edges. Seems to me they should have overlapped to form a stronger glue joint. Well, I havn't heard of fins or rudders coming apart, so I guess it's OK.

Major Tom, thanks for the link. I've seen that technique on some other scale web site. The thing that scares me is the cowl. The SR Eindecker looks great, but they had an aluminum cowl. I don't think I can do a good job on the cowl with the aluminum tape. I came across a product that might work. I'm going to buy a can and try it on some plastic. I'm thinking of glassing the forward fuse and then painting it.

Name:	Nl31014.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1817956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To45643.jpg 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	1817957  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Didn't get much "building" done today. My Extra has been giving me fits. Flys about 6 minutes and quits. On of those dead stick landings caused me to seperate the landing gear a couple of weeks ago. Monday, three flights, three dead sticks. Stupid me. I finally removed the fuel tank. Yep, the clunk had flopped to the front of the tank. At least it was a simple fix. Back the the eindecker. I did assemble one item. A coat of flat black and it should look pretty good. I'm going to need a WWI pilot's bust. Any ideas?

Name:	Om33021.jpg 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	1818189  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finished shaping and sanding on the fin and rudder. I decided to go with a steerable tail skid, even though Major Tom told me I didn't need one. One guy at our club (grass strip) has a fixed tail skid and his plane is virtually uncontrollable on the ground. It's not a eindecker, but not what I want to put up with either. I'll have to bend a new skid. I seem to have installed it a bit high on the rudder. I'll glass over the skid installation to give it some additional strength. Next cheeks and cowling installation.

Name:	Wu62169.jpg 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1818431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yu63663.jpg 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1818432  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Today, I got the cheeks fitted and attached. I was not so much looking forward to this step, but it was pretty easy. Very little trimming of the plastic was necessary to get a very good fit. I also trimmed the cowl, but did not attach it. I think I'll wait until the engine is mounted to do that. Might be as soon as this weekend. I'll have to make a run to the LHS for some bass wood and push rods before I go any further. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll get the rudder and elevator push rod tubes installed. After that, it's time to attach the stabilizer and fin.

Name:	Xv64563.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1818682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni22842.jpg 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	1818683  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Almost forgot. Major Tom suggested the fiberglass cowl. While I really want to do that, I have to be somewhat mindfull of the budget and wife. I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years and I'm having to buy everything again. I'll have to get the JTec muffler for my engine, so it comes down to muffler or cowl. I will have to live with the plastic cowl for a while.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Then may I suggest doubling the numbers of the hold down screws shown on the plans, 8 instead of 4, definitely glass the inside of the cowl, then epoxie washers on the plastic on the outside at your hold down points.

On mine the two screws closest to the bottom opening are the ones seeing the most wear from the prop blast vibrations and engine vibrations in general.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've installed elevator and rudder push rod tubes, sheeted the rear bottom of the fuse and I decided to go ahead and mount the cowl, or at least install the mounting blocks. I'm taking Major Tom's advise on this one and going with 9 mounting screws. I plan on glassing the inside of the cowl and most likely will run a ribbon of heavier glass cloth around the rear of the cowl where it will be mounted. I'm not real happy with how close the mounting screws are going to be to the rear edge of the cowl. I gave the Rustoleum "hammered" spray a try on the plastic cut off of the cowl. It looks better on the cap of the spray can, but I think I will be using it.

Name:	Db85105.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	1819225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uq49783.jpg 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	1819226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu51754.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	1819227  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I spent most of my build time today catching up on some things that I had skipped, or was waiting on parts for. I picked up some Dubro long arms for my aileron servos. The installation of which cause me to have to re-cut the openings in the servo hatches to accomodate the bigger servo arms. The plans showed some 1/4 x 1/4 balsa stiffeners for the inside aileron rib and the last wing rib next to the aileron. However, the installaton of these was not in the instructions. It's done now. I also attached the stabilizer. Tomorrow I'll attach the vertical fin. Starting to look like an airplane.

Name:	Vt56334.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	1819564  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vertical fin and sub-fin attached today. I'll be mounting the motor tomorrow, so I have to pick up some blind nuts at the hardware store. Time to pick up lots of odds and ends: Fuel tank, servo extension wires, glass cloth...

Name:	Mk26524.jpg 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1819808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24854.jpg 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	1819809  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast