Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

kit plans

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

kit plans

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM
sweatybetty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kit plans

just bought a goldberg super chipmunk kit. the plans came folded up in the box. will using a clothes iron to remove the creases hurt the plans? any ideas or suggestions?
thanks all sb
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: kit plans

I use an iron to flatten out plans often and I have never had an issue.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've done it as well. But I always lay the plans down face down and iron the back of them so I won't smear the print on the other side with the heat of the iron. I always do it on my clean work surface to prevent anything damaging the print on the front.

Here's another tip I always use. I never build on the original plans that come with the kit. I always get them copied and then I build with on the copies. Staple, Office Depot, or most office supply stores have copy centers capable of reproducing kit plans. Run the first copy through and then check the copy with the original (lay the copy on top of the original and check the scale in the legend, or just check the lines drawn on the plans) to ensure they copy is coming out the same size. All copiers will vary a little bit and they can adjust the copier so that you get a true reproduction. 

Next take I take the plans home and I look at the parts in the kit. Most plans in kits don't include all the parts on the plane. So I find out what is missing on the plans and then I will make tracings of those parts. I do this for two reasons. One, in the event of a crash I can reproduce and part I need to repair the plane. Two, later on down the road if I want to build another plane I can always cut my own parts and build another kit. I don't do this to cheat the company putting the kit out, but rather I do this in case the kit is taken off the market and I can't get another kit. 

When you get him roll up the original plans and your part tracings and store them in a document tube. You can cut up the copies you made and built on those safe in the knowledge that your originals are safe and sound.

hope this helps

Ken
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Because I build from plans and like to save money I usually have them folded and stuck in an envelope for shipping. As soon as I get them I pull out the iron and ironing board plus a brown paper bag I get free at the market. I open up the bag and place it over the plans and iron them through the bag. Never a problem. I use a little moisture too. Once I have them smoother out I back roll them with the printing side out so they will lay flat over my building board. Depending on the plans I sometimes go to Kinko's and have an extra set printed out. Other times I cut out the parts shown in profile and make a copy on my puter. I save the originals in a big envelope but do build over the plans. I use wax or parchment paper over them so glue doesn't stick to them. The plans do get pin holes in them but they can still be used again if I want.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if this old trick would work, or be better or worse.. But you could always lay it out between your mattress and box springs for awhile.. hahahhaah

I can't even remember what or why I know that trick from
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I like your ideas RCKen on drawing the missing parts on the duplicated plans. I too have my plans copied and keep the originals safe. It has been a long time pet peve of mine about folded plans, I would pay the extra money if given the option for rolled plans. I have found it helpful to take the folded plans and place them between my build board and the sheet rock top that I build on for a couple of days, it helps alot, sort of the same theme of putting it between the mattress...
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just fold it the opposite direction... and let it sit out a bit. Thats worked for me... though most kits I've built have rolled plans these days.

Reminds of how the US spent a million or whatever it was on a specially designed pen they took to space... wrote in 0 gravity.. had special pumps for the ink... etc.. etc.. etc... the russians took a flipping pencil !
Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi sweatybetty

a follow up on one of the post, copying the plans is a good idea. never thought of it
myself. one Ihing I always to is get all the parts separated and trace the individual parts
on the back of the plans makes repair easy when you need a part for repairs>

happy building and flying
pt19 flyer
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 AM
sweatybetty

thanks all!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you copy plans.. you need to be sure the copier is equal vertical and horizontal.. sometimes there's some distortion. I was told draw a several inch line in each direction.... make your copy and then re-measure.. sometimes the copy doesn't match the original.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: foodstick

I don't know if this old trick would work, or be better or worse.. But you could always lay it out between your mattress and box springs for awhile.. hahahhaah

I can't even remember what or why I know that trick from
It's an old and traditional method to try to press your pants overnight when you were on the road as a salesman and they didn't have an iron and board in the motel room.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Beandaddy

Paper of any kind reacts to moisture, when you use a hot iron it drives the moisture out of the paper and will make the plans a bit smaller. After ironing I always hang the plans up for a day or two to let the plans normalize with the surrounding area. Copying machines use a lot of heat so you might get a bit of shrink there also. Take a part from the kit ( wing rib) with you when you plan to have the prints copied and match the part up with the new print. You will be able to see if the new print is right on scale. Just some thoughts.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Sometimes, the plans are bigger than the machine they use. There is one copy place that can scan the large prints, like the Top Flite P-51 GS, but it would cost me over $100 for the copies.  Bugger.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Kinko's to have my plans copied. The first page out of the machine will tell you if the copier is set correctly just by taping the original to one of there windows and placing the copy over it to see if they match.
AC, if the plans are too big you just cut them in half then tape them together. Yes, sometimes the cost isn't worth having a copy made. With the plans I buy and build from I will cut out all the templates from the plans sheet and make up my own working templates on my printer and save the originals. I just did that to my present build. As far as building over originals, I'm not that hard on them and can use them several times. Wax and parchment paper are your friend.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an independent copy place. A full sized sheet is about $2.00 and about $10.00 to digitize TIFF and PDF files to CD.

Haha, I knew somebody was going to remember the trick of putting pants under the mattress.