Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Lone Star Balsa

There is another supplier that I have had tremendous luck with, and their prices are right.

http://www.balsawoodinc.com/balsawoodproducts

The only negative is that they don't have triangle stock. But other than that, they ship fast and their wood is very, very good. You can get all grades and straight cut. If they don't have something, they will call you right back and let you know. That is if you order online. If you call them, they will tell you while you are on the phone.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

Hey Gene 55 still works for me I'm 65 but I best not lel my Jenny see this.Good to here the year and type of model.I'm about to rebuild my trenton terror (all but the wing) .
    I have one other question ,what is the wind like there in your state for flying. Yours Paul T
    The plane I'm starting today is the Old Timer Satyr designed in 1942 as a free flight, it will be electric and three channel. Our wind can be brutal, 65mph with high gusts is nothing strange. Our normal day flying is from almost no wind to about 10 or 15 mph. At the moment it is only blowing at 7mph. It's simple to know what to expect though, I have the weather bug loaded into my puter and I can see what the conditions will be a day in advance and it's usually pretty accurate. I will go out when it is supposed to blow from 10 to 15mph. Mornings are usually calm and the wind comes up between 10am and noon. If it says from 10 to 20mph I don't bother making the drive to the field because it can get big gusts after 20mph. I'm retired so I can pick the days I fly. I have a private[kinda] field I can go to that is 7 miles from my home or I usually fly off a lake bed that is 27 miles away. There is a nice public field only 17 miles away too but I like the people at the lake bed a lot more then the public field.
    This is a desert so the wind can go nuts on you but like any place, you just pick your days. We have a lot more good days then bad and this time of year it is usually nice. We can fly all year long so there really is no season so you can be choosy. I no longer go out when it's going to be 110. I used to get out there at sun rise and fly until 9 or 10, a lot of the guys do that in the summer. I don't bother flying when the weather is in the 20 or 30s either. At 65 I don't feel the need to fly every day.
    You should see it right now, about 75 with a light breeze and it will only hit the mid 80s this afternoon. This is a good place for RC flying. Calif. was better but this is OK. If you can fly in wind around 10 mph then you would have a lot of stick time here.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is also where Igo for leading and trailing edge stock as they seemed to be the cheapest and did a good job.
    ORIGINAL: dadragon

I deal with specialized balsa in loveland colorado,they can send you any size you need,soft-med-hard balsa,their prices are alot better than 10.00 a peice,call or E-mail Jake at www.specializedbalsa.com or call 970-461-9663. what you ask for you get,no crap involved they are a good company.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I go to my daughters in Colorado all the time and can stop at the balsa place in loveland when I do. Thanks for the heads up on the place. My goal is to build from plans from here on out and I will be buying allot of balsa where I can.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a heads up on the craft store liteply. It is not designed for aircraft use. Most craft stores around here that sell liteply has a note on the display stating such. So just be careful as to where you use it.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The balsa and light ply I buy at Michale's craft store is from Midwest balsa and Revell. You could never afford to build a plane if you bought your balsa from them but the light ply sheets are as cheap or cheaper then most wood companies sell it for. This is some very good wood but as acerc said, beware of what you are buying from different craft stores. Most of them use a display rack and the makers name is on th rack. The Midwest balsa is usually on the heavy side but I often buy it when I need a stiff LE or TE. Once in a while you just need a sheet or two to finish a build and I like having a Michale's close by. Other then hobby people no one else in my area stocks balsa. The price mark up at Hobby Town can be over 100% for the same wood sold at Michale's, it's even in the same rack, just marked up in price.
    Buyer Beware!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gray Beard please don't feel I am in any way trying to offend you because that is not the case. But Midwest Balsa makes different grades of lite ply, birch grade for aircraft and craft grade. The lite ply for craft's is different. As long as it is not for anything structural it's probably fine. I was trying to be a little informative. One can go to Midwest Balsa's website and see the different grades for different application's. Please don't assume it's as good as aircraft grade, birch,  just because of the name. 
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I take no offense and I will check what wood I buy. I have gotten a lot worse from wood suppliers that was called light ply. I like the idea of no warps in this wood too. The way it is racked it doesn't bend. They have no aircraft grades there at all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can understand a few dings here and there on the balsa sheets on the outside of the pile, but then again, if it was packaged properly, there really shouldn't be any dings or dents.

As far as getting balsa wood, i've had GREAT success with BUSA and National Balsa. Actually ordered a short kit from National balsa, and the quality couldn't be better, I'm really impressed. The only screw ups with the laser cutting was because the plans had the wrong size, so the part was wrong.

Gene, your getting too old to be getting ripped off by these model airplane companies

Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Old!! Old!!! Heck, he is just a kid in a grown up body [X(][X(][X(]
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

I can understand a few dings here and there on the balsa sheets on the outside of the pile, but then again, if it was packaged properly, there really shouldn't be any dings or dents.

As far as getting balsa wood, i've had GREAT success with BUSA and National Balsa. Actually ordered a short kit from National balsa, and the quality couldn't be better, I'm really impressed. The only screw ups with the laser cutting was because the plans had the wrong size, so the part was wrong.

Gene, your getting too old to be getting ripped off by these model airplane companies

Jason
    It was a bad week, I had a serious problem with another company, not RC related. Yedsterday a friend came over and we were checking out the planks, we found splits in it too running about 6 inches long and about a half inch in on a couple of them. This is my first ever problem with ever buying wood from anyone and I used to buy all my wood from LS. After the fire I went with National, I found there wood perfect and the way they wrapped it and shipped I never even had a split or warp.
    Gene, you just stated the same thing my wife tells me, I get that a lot!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I feel your pain with LoneStar as well.  They messed up a very simple order on me with my current project.  I don't typically voice my opinion on forums but after 3 fricken calls to LoneStar, I'm speaking out.  I got a promise of a return call from this so called "Mike" fellow 3 times and as far as I'm concerned doesn't even exist.  My order was just under a $100 but it really pissed me off when I was left feeling like I was "blown off".  I deal alot with online sites, but support you local hobby stores with wood sales.  Future buyers BE WHERE!!
    ~ORT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I feel your pain with LoneStar as well. They messed up a very simple order on me with my current project. I don't typically voice my opinion on forums but after 3 fricken calls to LoneStar, I'm speaking out. I got a promise of a return call from this so called "Mike" fellow 3 times and as far as I'm concerned doesn't even exist. My order was just under a $100 but it really pissed me off when I was left feeling like I was "blown off". I deal alot with online sites, but support you local hobby stores with wood sales. Future buyers BE WHERE!!
    ~ORT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike is real but just isn't there a lot or knows how to dial?? You can't afford to support your LHS when buying wood!! Hobby People is the only LHS that stocks a good supply of wood and they have a 400% mark up on it. During a build if I need a small supply or a few pieces of wood I will use HP but my local Michale's has a pretty good supply too. If I need a real stiff piece of 1/4 inch sheeting I go to Michale's, just because of what Acerc and I were talking about, not all there wood is of top grade and I can find some balsa there that is as dence as hardwood for things like rudders or ailerons.
    From what I have seen on this post I'm not the only one that will no longer use LS for my wood. Sorry you got had too but the word is getting out about them. I was always a supporter of them. No longer!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There was a time when hobby shops had a nice selection of balsa. Like maybe 40 years ago or more. Not only was the balsa higher quality but the also carried contest balsa. Now the selection is extremely slim because so few people build anymore and as Gene says, what is available locally is usually hard and heavy. I prefer to support my LHS even at the cost of more expensive supplies but not at the cost of a heavy airplane.

I got very lucky about 6 months ago and found a local estate auction that had a large lot of balsa, the man had been an avid control line builder. I picked it all up for just over a C note and when I got it home I discovered that it was all contest wood, with every piece weighed and labeled. What a score! Combine that with the remaining stock of balsa I purchased from local hobby shop that closed when the owner retired and I'm set for several years. Keep your eyes out for estates and shop closures. When you catch wind of a shop closure, try to make a deal to buy out remaining stock. If you buy selected wood during the close out you will get a discount but if you offer to take the entire lot you'll get a great discount. I made the deal to let him sell what he could and take whatever was left after he closed the doors for good.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You got them on the phone??? How in the world did you do that? I couldn't get them to answer the phone or an email. I used to be able to go to the warehouse and pick out my own balsa. That was the best. Plus they use to sell these cool looking props that looked like a bat wing sort of. I can't remeber what the brand was. They worked great and were cheap.

I bought from LS about a year ago and had a similar experience. The wood was heavy, several sheets were split and a grey color sort of like wood siding from an old barn. I picked through it and built a Sweet Stik but it ended up 8oz heavier than it should have. Part of that was my fault but not all of it. It stills flies fine though.

I may try them one more time and be a little more careful about what I order. No more balsa bundles. Maybe thats how they dump the crummy wood they have.

My buddy is building a full sized plane called a "Falco". Its an all wood plane and he saved me a large stock of thin plywood scraps. This is all aircraft grade and some of the sheets are 2 foot by 3 foot in 2, 3, 4mm. Plus some that is near a 1/4" thick. Really good stuff for the right price.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #142. WooHoo!!!
    BUSA Brotherhood #69.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all,
    I saw this post and thought I would reply to the comments here . I live in Ft Worth, Texas ,so it is possible to go to Lone Star
    and Pick Out your wood by weight and have it cut while you wait ( about an hour drive ) . Mike has told me they are Always there
    but can not stop to answer the phone when they are in the middle of orders ,or something to that extent . A couple of my friends
    are going tomm ,Monday 10/28/2012 ,and pick up a large order of Balsa to build about 10 Pattern planes .

I will report the results here if anybody is interested . We plan to get All 4 lb balsa sheeting ,balsa sheet stock and block materials .
    I have heard about good and bad from almost All balsa suppliers out there and of course I have seen a lot myself .

Most problems I have heard of are usually heavy Weight related when comparing all the different suppliers out there . Mike has told me that most
    All modelers want Light wood ,but they have a lot of customers that don't care what they get ,since they are not using it in aircraft .
    Several here locally can vouch for the good quality Lone Star has provided them ,as well as all the other suppliers talked about in this forum .
    I'm hoping my friend picks me out some "Real good"wood . I guess then I can't Blame Lone Star !
    BTW ,I'm Not sponsored or paid to indorse them .
    Steve
    When Inverted ,Down is up ,and Up is Expensive when close to the Ground !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Or ever waited for a return phone call from them to correct a mistake.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Gray Beard ,

I'll give you that ! Since you have had such miserable service ,as you describe ,I will make mention to my friends to see if
    they will make any remarks to somebody at Lone Star when they are there . No guarantees as I can't speak for what they may or not do .
    Seems like it would be in LS's best interest .I will report results ,if any here . I misspoke of the date ,as I was thinking today was Sunday already .
    It will be Monday 10/29/2012 that they have planned to go over for wood .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all again ,

Ok ,here is the scoup with Lone Star balsa as of 10-29-2012 . We bought several hundred dollars worth ($500+) of 4.7 lb balsa .1/16" thru 1" blocks . We were allowed to pick anything ,block ,etc ., we wanted and they cut from that wood .We weighed all Blocks before cutting . 1/16 sheets weigh 7 grams each ! Anything not in good shape ,ie. a couple sheets had an issue , were culled out and not used in making our orders .

Overall ,great service ,Great Light Wood ,and reasonably priced . I can attest to the fact that if you make an order of wood that is cut to size ,ie. 1/16 ,1/8 ,3/16 , sheets ,etc.,
    you will get good wood if that is what you want .Be specific in what you want if ordering on phone ,as I would suggest would be second best way to buy specific weight woods .
    Unless you can't go to a supplier in person ,a Local Hobby Shop (Good Luck finding Any Quality Contest grade balsa anymore stocked at anything but the Very Biggest shops !and at what price ? ) Anything you buy on the Internet or mail order can have possible issues or will be hard ,heavy or warped ....

I highly recommend that you Do NOT buy wood planks from Any supplier until they invent a way to X Ray the wood (or what ever )and guarantee that there will not be Any issue in any sheet cut from it . If they cut it ,they will not knowingly send you bad wood .

When Mike was asked about any customer issues in the past ,he said something like he was aware of a few problems but it was isolated and not normal .I take it as being you can't please everybody ,all the time .

Any negative comments made here are not what we are seeing from Lone Star Balsa. Again I'm Not endorsed or anything to promote this business . I just think there maybe more to the story that you or I may not know about any comments made here .

Good Luck all in buying Balsa ,wherever you do buy it !
    Steve Ehlers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also buy from them locally. Most of the time, I will call in the order in the morning and pick it up the same afternoon. I've never had any problems with them at all. I only order my wood from other company's when Lonestar is out of contest wood. I sent them a link to this thread so maybe it will help them address their problems.

RS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why would they bother? They only have isolated issues. The issue could have been corrected with a simple phone call. What a surprise, no problems with a walk in order??
    I understand though, them there telephones are complicated technology and require effort to operate. I'm very sure if I could have walked into there shop I could have gotten my little problem straightened out. I'm sure it would have never been a problem to begin with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day all

I am green with envy ,the number of outlets that are available to you in the US. Here in Australia we have to put up with china ply and very inferior quality balsa wood. From where I live it is 320 km to my nearest hobby shop and I may not obtain the required size or length let alone grade of balsa.My last sheets I bought were 2x76x900 mm and I payed $3.40/per sheet.

I am thinking of placing an order with Sig now that Sig is again supplying stick and sheet stock. Has anyone had negative feedback from Sig on the quality of their balsawood and how does the price compare to Lonestar orNational?

I appreciate any comment  and guidance.

TW

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had great luck with National but haven't used SIG sense the new ownership. Balsa USA is another good one but costs more. We are very lucky here, we have most anything you can think of or want/need. I see a lot of guys here on RCU out of country and still involved in RC when there are no hobby shops or modeling supplies at all. These people really earned my respect.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like to share my experience with Lone Star Balsa if I may. They were my main source of balsa and ply prior to the accident as their wood quality and customer service were both top notch. I had an order placed with them when the fire occurred, not a big one but probably $50-100 or so. I was unable to contact them immediately after the fire and basically wrote off the order and the money as lost. Several months later, and out of the blue, I received a phone call from them to confirm with me that I had not received my order. Shortly after that a check arrived in my mailbox. I can only imagine the amount of time and energy that was expended tracking down and reimbursing customers for lost orders. And at a time when I'm sure they had much more pressing things to consider. To say they earned my respect would be an understatement.

On another note, most large suppliers hard woods carry 3mm Poplar bending plywood (sometimes called bender board) which is exactly the same stuff that is sold as "light plywood" by the hobby outlets. Around here (Phoenix area) I can get a 4' x 8' sheet of the stuff for less than $30. That works out to be much cheaper than any of the mail order or retail outlets that I've found. Just be certain to get the Poplar stuff as their are other types that are sold as "bending plywood" that are not suitable for model aircraft.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast