Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Falcon 56 Modification ideas

Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM
800moder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Falcon 56 Modification ideas

Building a Goldburg Falcon 56 (third one in 35 years) and looking for some ideas for modifing it. What would you do?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 PM
rafeeki

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Falcon 56 Modification ideas

Reinforce the wing hold down bolts and traingularreceivers as well as the front hold down wing dowelas mine failed and met its demise.
Great flying plane.
Now flying a GP 40 Stick using the same OS 40 FSR engine. This plane is more manuverable, both are great flying planes.

Best of luck

Rafeek

Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 PM
800moder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good to know but was thinking more on the lines of tail drager or trike?, flaps?, twin tail possable?,ect...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
rafeeki

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trike.
Didnt have flaps on mine. Would be hard to manage as they are stripailerons that run the full length of the wing.

Had mine covered in glossy black monokote. Hard to keep the fingerprints off of it though. Had a bright orange bottom and leading edge; sharp.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM
KitBuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why would strip ailerons be hard to manage.. maybe do 60 / 40 ail/flap and enlarge them a bit to make up for the shorter length.

Twin tail would be nice... but would need to figure out the connection if ou wanted working rudders.. could use a a UC bellcrank in the rear of the fuse and run pushrods out to the rudders
Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
rafeeki

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure u can go that route just depends how much you wanted to modify the original design. I for one kept it in its ordiganl configuration.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would make sure to use larger stock for the strip ailerons, my first RC kit was the Falcon 56 and after flying it the small ailerons needed extensions glued on them to be effective, been thinking of building one for nostalgia
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Mtthwacrss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is a hard one. if you change it to much will it still be a Falcon? I did a lot of mods on my Tiger 60. engine cowling, tail dragger, larger elevator and rudder. I put my Falcon 56MkII in a tree a coupleof years ago and just got the rudder and elevator back on last night. I did see a Sr. Falcon with the twin rudderlast year. The guy put the servo between the two rudders and it did look cool.I look foward to see what you do with it. I love the Falcon 56. It was my first plane years ago and I hope to get the one I have now back in the air before it gets to cold and windy here in Kansas.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 PM
bogbeagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had to do a search so as to find out what the model looks like.

OK, dispose of the rubber bands and fit a quick-release mechanism for retaining the wings. I like to make spring-operated devices... only takes a few minutes.

Flaps, of course. The most fun you can have with your clothes on. The Falcon looks like it's made for shooting approaches.

A nice little bubble-canopy, reminiscent of '70s pattern ships. (Does it already have one of these?)

Maybe a couple of strobes in the tips, if you don't mind a little extra weight. (about $20 from Hobby King)

A decent telescopic nose-leg.

Plumb that exhaust system out the bottom of the model. Don't cowl it!

Oh yeah, a tow-mechanism under the tail.

Everything else looks just fine, to me.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM
DGrant

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A first idea that popped into my head was a "twin-engine-56".. Design and fabricate engine nacelle's the are attached to the wing.. In this case you'd also have to possibly re-engineer that wing-mount system.. as all the thrust would be coming from wing mounted engines.. The nose of the plane could be shaped/built into a conventional nose.. a bit longer then stock.. which might increase the length of the plane by a few inches too.. hmm.. what'ya'think??

Next idea is alot less elaborate.. would be to simply mount the engine sideways... and fashioning a new cowl/nose around the side mounted engine.. I'm all for keeping the stock landing gear, as I can't think of really anything to do with it.. .. but.. to go with the side mounted engine.. I'd throw some mean looking wheel pants on there.. something more streamlined.. that and a side mounted engine.. oh and take about half the wing dihedral out too.. that wing has plenty of lift/stability to handle it.. and it would probably be a tad more manueverable... All this just might make the meek and stable 56 something to contend with on the agressive side.. . Just a few thoughts here.... Yes.. I had one for many years until someone stoled it off my back porch. Excellent planes... have fun.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 AM
hattend

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's been a while since I had the Falcon 56 but I have a Senior Falcon that is now a taildragger with flaps. Bolt on wings for sure (hate the rubber bands!).

Taildraggers are more fun in my opinion.

Don
Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 AM
Weasel Keeper

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bolt on wing and take out some dihedral.

Search this Thread