Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

HOB Warplanes

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

HOB Warplanes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOB Warplanes

I am getting ready to build several House of Balsa(1/12 I think)warbirds and want to know if there is anything I should watch out for. They look to be great kits. They are a ME109, FW160,Republic P 47 and a P 51D Mustang. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HOB Warplanes

The small P-51 I have built several but none of the others on your list. Our club had a racing class for them and all had to use the same engine, I still have one of the engines, the HP .25 I think. The build is fun but it is small and big hands can get in the way. In the air the plane is really fast plus being so small you just have to keep them in a bit closer. I always wanted to build the others but just never got round to it. Very fun little plane. The kits were well cut and had very good wood in them. I used U-control bell cranks inside the wing to get a straight control wires for the ailerons but today I think I would use small micro servos and have a servo on each surface. Just an easier set up then the control wires.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

+1 to Gray Beard's reply.

I had the little 109 as well. The p-51 plans were on the back side of the plan sheet as I recall. No real tricks to it; just build it as the instructions say. And just to recount GB's comment...They are little hot rods and a blast to fly!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Mooney_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ihave built 2 of their 1/2A P51's as well as one from the RCM plans that were published just before House of Balsa started kitting the the 1/2A P51. They are a nice little 1/2A plane. Ihave one of the HOB 1/2A Bonanzas too but have not built it yet...but you did not ask about GA planes, only warbirds.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:16 PM
TFF

Build them light. Put a big engine on them. They want to fly fast. I have built 2 p-51s, one in high school, early 80s, and one about 6-7 years ago. The kits are lovely, but if I built the P-51 a third time I would cut the canopy off the deck and make the deck out of balsa. I would swiss cheese the doublers and hollow out any of the wood blocks. Not much wing if you let the weight build up.